17 HORNET or 204 ruger

Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: marcoWell it's already out lived the 17rem Amd 17 fireball! It will do well!

Uh, the .17 Remington is 45 years old now. The .17 Hornet has a mighty long ways to go before it comes even close to middle aged.

Kind of what I was thinking...

Is Remington making rifles for the 17 rem or fireball? No! So there dead! Cooper? How many 17 tens did cooper sell last year? 2? Ha ha it's dead!

Originally Posted By: marcoIs Remington making rifles for the 17 rem or fireball? No! So there dead! Cooper? How many 17 tens did cooper sell last year? 2? Ha ha it's dead!

Your definition of dead obviously differs from the thousands of us that have a .17 Remington. As long as ONE gun maker continues to chamber rifles for the .17 Remington it will never be dead. And I'm pretty sure that the custom barrel makers would wholeheartedly disagree with you as well.

And I dont even know what a "17 ten" is. Is that just something that Cooper sells? Please fill me in.

Originally Posted By: marcoIs Remington making rifles for the 17 rem or fireball 17 hornet?

Originally Posted By: marco No! Ha ha it's dead!

There, fixed that for ya...

Actually, they never started so that means it never lived at all huh???

Unlike the rem or firball..

You can't make this stuff up guys....

Originally Posted By: marcoWell it's already out lived the 17rem Amd 17 fireball! It will do well!

I'm pretty sure there has been more factory rifles made in 17 Rem since 1971 than the 17 Hornet will seen in the next 50.

Originally Posted By: marcoI bet Remington didn't make 50thou model 7s or 700s in 17Rem or 17FB!

How many 17 Hornets have been made,any facts ?

I guess I don't get the whole argument here. Just because commercial manufacturers don't jump on the band wagon to sell a certain Cartridge or end up discontinuing it makes it inferior. It's all about sales to the Commercial big wigs. Not how effective it is. Example is: My 17 Hornet the original one(The Ackley Hornet) has never been commercially manufactured, but in reality it is superior to the 17 Hornady Hornet. Just seems stupid to judge a Cartridge by it's sales or who's making it.

Good Hunting Chad

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: greengt88Hopefully more manufacturers will start chambering for the 17 Hornet. Its a great niche cartridge and hope to see it live on for years to come.

Seems like quite a few offerings already for rifles...the CZ, Savage, TC and Ruger are all fairly accurate from the looks. I'd sure like to see more brass manufacturers on it though...Hornady's Superformance loads suck to reload and the Hornady new brass is a bit spendy.

I'm a big fan of the .17 hornet from a target shooting stand point so far....it's very accurate from my Ruger and a real pleasure to shoot with no noticeable recoil...the target remains in the scope picture throughout the shot even on 16X....it's also frugal on powder....at 1/2 the powder or less than most small caliber rifle cartridges it's cheap to load. I look forward to chasing critters with it next time I head out after some predators.

I'm definitely glad I bought my 17 ackley hornet. It has been a great little rifle. It shoots really tight groups and is very fast and efficient to say the least. It will push the 20 grain Vmax along at 3800 fps or alittle better. Fun little sucker to shoot.

Good Hunting Chad

Originally Posted By: Dixiedog1 I'd sure like to see more brass manufacturers on it though...Hornady's Superformance loads suck to reload and the Hornady new brass is a bit spendy.

what kind of problems are you having?

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: Dixiedog1 I'd sure like to see more brass manufacturers on it though...Hornady's Superformance loads suck to reload and the Hornady new brass is a bit spendy.

what kind of problems are you having?

The primer pockets are a pain to ream so they'll accept a primer and I'm seeing short brass life with the Superformance brass that I reload. New brass is better just expensive compared to other calibers....$30+ per 50 compared to about the same for 100 if Winchester brass was available.

Back