.17 Hornet on Bobcat, Fox, and Coyote

The bullet performance was about as good as one could have hoped for..High shoulder shot that broke the shoulder and lots of trauma to the spine with no exit..Some bloodshot to the off shoulder..

One tiny 17 caliber entrance was the only damage to the skin..

I did see some 25 gr V-Maxes on the shelf the other day and thought about trying them and probably would if coyotes were on the menu,but they are not..The 20 grainers are doing it for me so far...

That's pretty impressive santiam, for such a small bullet.. I'm gonna use up all my 20 grain factory loads up first then venture into reloading for my ruger. I ordered a cheap weaver v-16 with the 223 reticle for it last night, really taking a chance on an optic that I have zero experience with. It was on sale at natchez for like 219.00 so I had to take a chance on it. Hopefully it will serve me well.

I'm really taking an interest in the .17 Hornet and these threads aren't helping my resistance to purchase one
smile.gif

Same here.Originally Posted By: Craig SI'm really taking an interest in the .17 Hornet and these threads aren't helping my resistance to purchase one
smile.gif

Since there were some posted already, I'm going to add to the bullet performance photos. This is with the 15.5 grain NTX (lead free) bullet from Hornady:

17-Hornet-NTX-Bobcat-20.jpg

17-Hornet-NTX-Bobcat-17.jpg

The exit hole was no bigger than a dime:
17-Hornet-NTX-Bobcat-19.jpg

All this took place at 75 yards, on video. It was a high shoulder shot, dropping the bobcat immediately (see here for video - includes graphic content): 17 Hornady Hornet NTX Lead Free Ammo Review with Bobcat Hunt

As stated before, shot placement is key, but those little bullets, going really fast, are devastating to the internals of a predator.

Eric
cool.gif

Eric, although I've seen little on the NTX bullets performance on predators in the 17 Hornets, it appears they may penetrate and be a bit "tougher" than the Vmax? Maybe even the 25 HP?

Thanx for all your input from the real world on this.

Very nice cat Eric. I'm pretty impressed with what I'm seeing so far out of these tiny little bullets. By the way, how good does the cz function these tiny rounds? I've had 527 22 hornets in the past that weren't very good, that's why I ask. Did it take any tinkering at all to make it smooth out or function correctly?

Mike B - The bullet that hit that bobcat did a lot of damage to the shoulder while passing through, even breaking a major bone, so I do believe it is a bit tougher. We have hit some beefy ground squirrels at close-range with the same bullet in the 17HMR ammo and it has not expanded as quickly as the lead 17 grain version. Thanks!

ICU-22-250 - I have shot ground squirrels and prairie dogs with it and have never run into an issue with it feeding, even in the heat of numerous shots! Can you explain the issue you had in more detail? I'd like to know, just for my own curiosity.

Thanks!

Eric

I had some that had extraction issues, either wouldn't pull out the round or would continuously drop the round back into the action. Then I've had them to jam going into the chamber. Also the actions in the ones that I've had were extremely gritty and rough. These were in 22 hornet and in 221 fireball though. I have owned 3 or 4 of the 527 rifles with terrible luck I guess. I really wanted to find a keeper cause they are an extremely nice rifle, just terrible experiences have kept me from buying another.

Mine has never had any problems at all. I have the Model 25 in the walking varminter and it is as reliable as any other rifle I own. It is a lazer beam too with the 20 grain Vmax and the Berger and Hornady 25 grain hollow point. I put a nice Boyds laminate on it and have never looked back. Jeweled bolt pretty smooth action and I like the accutrigger in it though the CZ has a really nice factory trigger. I would give one a look see and see what you think. Savage makes many versions of the Model 25.

Older thread but didn't want to start a new one.
With this cartridge having been around for another hunting season has anyone loaded the 25 HP for coyotes and had good luck??

Called on a 204 yesterday and also thinking of buying the 17 Hornet along w the 204. Thinking the HP should be a bit tougher and work better on the larger canines.

People have been using the .17 Ackley Hornet (original, wildcat version of the factory HH) with 25 gr. cup and core HP bullets for 60 years now. One more year ain't gonna add much to the data pool?

Keep the range sane and place the shot well and coyotes die cleanly and look like they just laid down to sleep.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAAPeople have been using the .17 Ackley Hornet (original, wildcat version of the factory HH) with 25 gr. cup and core HP bullets for 60 years now. One more year ain't gonna add much to the data pool?

Keep the range sane and place the shot well and coyotes die cleanly and look like they just laid down to sleep.

- DAA
My bad, didn't realize the AI version was available for so long. Will do a little research on that.

I use the 20 gr in mine, although I do have 25gr that I haven't loaded up nor shot. The 20gr work well for coyotes (destroy prairie dogs, up to 250-300 yards)

I have shot coyotes at 100 max with them only, but the [beeep] gun and rounds are so accurate they've been neck/head shots and nothing has taken another step. My favorite gun is my Ruger M77/17 hornet.

Back