17 Hornet Bullets

CWP/

I posted on another thread yesterday but not getting much response. I got a 17 Hornet about a year ago. I've always shot a 22-250 and love it but bought this as more of a cat gun, which I've only seen 2 ever come to a call. But shot one last year and destroyed it. I'm really liking the fur friendliness, light weight and accuracy. As many have said probably not the gun for coyotes that the 250 is and I agree. But there is something about the little gun, and I'm having a hard time leaving it home. I've been shooting the factory 25 gr hollow points, killed 4 and had one runner. I'm going to start reloading for the 17 and was wondering if anyone has tried the 25 vmax's on coyotes, or just stick to the hollow points. I was getting pretty confident with the killing power of the little gun, but don't want a runner every 200 yrd shot either.

Not that you necessarily need a deep penetrating bullet to kill coyotes with, but if I was planning to use my 17 Hornet as any kind of primary coyote gun the 25gr hollow point would be the bullet I'd be loading.

I watched a youtube video once of a guy shooting a steel target at 100 yards, if I recall it was 3/8-1/2 in. thick, with his 17 Hornet and was using 20gr Vmax and 25gr HP ammo. The 25gr HP ammo was boring straight through and the Vmax ammo was just leaving a nice size crater. It's been awhile since I watched it but I think he was also shooting a 17 WSM at the same target and comparing the two.

Last edited:
Not sure what rifle you have but I never could get the 25s to shoot in my 77/17. I finally switched to the varmint nightmare 20gr HP and they are very accurate. I’ve talked with several other Ruger owners and they say the same about the heavier bullet. Hopefully you get it to work.

I have a Savage 25 Walking Varminter, wasn't very impressed when I first pull it out of the box by looking at it. But its shoots both the 20 vmax and the 25 hollow point awesome.

Originally Posted By: CWP/I have a Savage 25 Walking Varminter, wasn't very impressed when I first pull it out of the box by looking at it. But its shoots both the 20 vmax and the 25 hollow point awesome.

My CZ527 too. It shoots the factory 20 grain Vmax as well as the 25 grain HP super good. So good in fact that if I could afford the price of the factory stuff I would shoot it all the time.

For the last couple years we have used a CZ 17 hornet. We don’t take a shot with it unless the coyote is standing where we have a chest shot. The 25HP have been the best pill for mine. We used to use the 20gr vmax, until we had a hit on shoulder and lost the coyote.

I haven’t been a 20gr VMAX fan since hitting a coyote at 40 yards with my 17wsm. Huge tufts of hair all over the snow with one tiny blood droplet. Followed tracks for half a mile and no more blood.

Originally Posted By: LowerRiverI haven’t been a 20gr VMAX fan since hitting a coyote at 40 yards with my 17wsm. Huge tufts of hair all over the snow with one tiny blood droplet. Followed tracks for half a mile and no more blood.

perhaps the cartridge not the bullet should draw the blame?

I have wondered how Reeds 26 gr softpoint would work out of the smaller capacity 17's. H322 should give you 3000+, extra penetration without completely fragmenting.

Originally Posted By: 6724Originally Posted By: LowerRiverI haven’t been a 20gr VMAX fan since hitting a coyote at 40 yards with my 17wsm. Huge tufts of hair all over the snow with one tiny blood droplet. Followed tracks for half a mile and no more blood.

Could be but my thought was if it blows up on the surface at 3000fps then what’s it going to do at 3500fps?

Not sure why people insist on playing with a faster and more fragile bullet on game it was not intended for. Stay with the Hornady 25 gr hollow point or similar. Nagle, Reed's, (used to be Berger), etc all offer bullets that will penetrate too, AND expand sufficiently for a clean kill. 17 Hornet is a little light for coyotes as a whole, but with careful shot placement AND a tough bullet, clean kills are normal. Ask Night Eyes. He kills moren most people see in a year, and doesnt blow fox up with the 25 Hornady HP and the 17 Hornet. Get both lungs and they die. Get the heart and they die. Get some bone on the way in or the guts, and they might run quite a ways. Wanna go thru the bone to the goods?? Get a bigger cartridge w/ a tough bullet. And expect an exit. Why people play with a fragile lil Vmax designed for prarie dogs is beyond me?? If the 17 gr Vmax doesnt even kill groundhogs well in the 17 HMR, why would 3 more grains do any better on something 4 times the size and bone structure?? And more speed blows bullets up quicker as a rule. Speed only kills when it penetrates enough in the right spots. Penetration in the right spots always kills. Slow it down, learn to shoot well in field conditions, and get at least sufficient penetration.

Originally Posted By: 6724Originally Posted By: LowerRiverI haven’t been a 20gr VMAX fan since hitting a coyote at 40 yards with my 17wsm. Huge tufts of hair all over the snow with one tiny blood droplet. Followed tracks for half a mile and no more blood.

Uhhhhhhhh....
laugh.gif

No matter what bullet you use, shot placement is always key with the .17s. The 17WSM coyote mentioned by LowerRiver, even with the 20 grain bullet, sounds like an issue with shot placement.

I use the Hornady 25 grain HP and rarely have issues out of my .17 Rem and .17 Hornet.

Originally Posted By: Eric_MayerNo matter what bullet you use, shot placement is always key with the .17s. The 17WSM coyote mentioned by LowerRiver, even with the 20 grain bullet, sounds like an issue with shot placement.

I use the Hornady 25 grain HP and rarely have issues out of my .17 Rem and .17 Hornet.

Granted, shot placement is key with just about any bullet on any game animal that is shot.

OTOH....There is eons of difference in performance when used on coyotes between a good 25 grain HP such as the Hornady and the 20 grain Ballistic Tip bullet designed to expand quickly on small animals like you find loaded in the 17 WSM cartridge. The BT bullets have been known to blow up on a rib on coyotes on occasion.

How do you miss a rib that you can't see when you pull the trigger? Maybe using a better bullet is key also.

Originally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: Eric_MayerNo matter what bullet you use, shot placement is always key with the .17s. The 17WSM coyote mentioned by LowerRiver, even with the 20 grain bullet, sounds like an issue with shot placement.

Granted, shot placement is key with just about any bullet on any game animal that is shot.

OTOH....There is eons of difference in performance when used on coyotes between a good 25 grain HP such as the Hornady and the 20 grain Ballistic Tip bullet designed to expand quickly on small animals like you find loaded in the 17 WSM cartridge. The BT bullets have been known to blow up on a rib on coyotes on occasion.

How do you miss a rib that you can't see when you pull the trigger? Maybe using a better bullet is key also.

I'm not disagreeing. However, the details of his shot (tuffs of hair everywhere, one tiny blood droplet) tell me it was a shot placement issue. I have killed a lot of coyotes with the 20 grain VMax in the .17WSM (from 154 yards, to 30 yards) and it performs well (though not my choice for everyone). In my experience, at 40 yards, there should not have been any issue putting the coyote down, rib/no rib.

I've also killed predators with zero issues, using the 15.5 grain NTX bullet out of the .17 Hornet (California lead-free area). Again, not my first choice for everyone, but correct placement and keeping to your effective range, makes all the difference.

As stated above, I use the Hornady 25 grain HP in my .17CFs.

Thanks for all the replies.

Just a heads up, I don't know if Hornady is not going to make the 25 grain hollow points anymore or what. I looked on Midway USA, Hornady's website and a few others and couldn't find them anywhere.

Finally ended up finding some on Graf and Sons and they were marked down 15% so I ordered 300 of them. Hopefully there not phasing out there 17 stuff.

Some interesting results from different bullets in both the 17 Hornet and 17 WSM.

The 25gr HP definitely had the best penetration but I thought the little 20gr Vmax was pretty impressive on that steel target as well.

Originally Posted By: CWP/Thanks for all the replies.

Just a heads up, I don't know if Hornady is not going to make the 25 grain hollow points anymore or what. I looked on Midway USA, Hornady's website and a few others and couldn't find them anywhere.

Finally ended up finding some on Graf and Sons and they were marked down 15% so I ordered 300 of them. Hopefully there not phasing out there 17 stuff.

You appear to be correct! This will be beddy beddy bad!! Hornady's site shows nothing on the 25 hp page anymore, and Midway shows discontinued. I wonder if they're being replaced??

From what I've seen from Eric's hunting vid's on that bobcat with the NTX, despite the lighter weight, the NTX penetrates nicely whie expanding sufficiently, but not violently.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mike B
From what I've seen from Eric's hunting vid's on that bobcat with the NTX, despite the lighter weight, the NTX penetrates nicely while expanding sufficiently, but not violently.

If you like Eric's video of that, you should see his exploding sage rats video when he was shooting them from his 17 WSM and the LF 15gr. ammo, it's quite spectacular if you like carnage.
smile.gif

Also, if anyone is looking for some of those Hornady 25gr HP bullets and can't find any, Cabela's is showing them as in stock.

Back