17 HMR vrs. .22 LR for short range coyotes.

LOL Arborman!! How did this thread get turned into the 17HMR debate?? Oh well im still sticking with the 17HMR over the 22LR or the 22Mag!! If thats all I had!

deargod_stop.jpg

ChileR, relax, I just said that to lure someone back to the dead horse. It worked, hence the "gotcha" Whether or not it is my OPINION that the HMR is superior or inferior to the WMR is not the issue here. The point I was trying to make is that it is absolutely retarded for any of us to argue over which caliber we THINK is the better one. Or to make definitive blanket statements about which one is best. I've never claimed to be an expert on firearms, hunting or anything other than working on trees and making babies. Wonder how much longer we can drag this thread out.....watch this.....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I agree....marginal at that. I like the other post where it says its merely a grasshopper round, thats more like it. I really need to stop shooting coyotes with it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

B

B - I knew you would finally come around. It just took a little time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif By the way, there is an excellent article in Shooting Times magazines, June 2005 issue. It's titled, .17HMR vs..22WMR. It's written by a very well respected Writer/Field Editor. Everyone should check it out. He talks about HIS personal experiences with both.

Sorry I jumped back in, but since B did, I thought I would. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Quote:
B - I knew you would finally come around. It just took a little time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Touche

B /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

I have blasted many a coyote at 30 yards in the same general area of lung with a 22mag and had them bang flop, spin a twister, and a few ran. That's my story. I am shure if you heard enough stories that you would hear of someone who swares that a good round rock is the best way to go,(and has proof) but that doesn't mean that I'll buy the rocks he has to sell me.

There was a guy on RFC when i did some searching who posted about a year or two ago...so i didn't reply obviously because i just joined RFC and didn't want to rehash an old old thread...he posted about a few coyotes he shot in the lung area and said it bit the sides then straitened out and left the country.

Wished i seen those posts earlier so i could reply. His coyotes were dead and inside 50 yrds...i would have put money on it.

Thats a classic sign of a lung hit, i've been persistant in tracking through thick stuff and have found them... and seen them do same thing enough times and run in wide open and flop in about 30-40...that i know they are done. I don't even get up when i hit one now, i don't stop calling etc. etc. i finish the stand and go collect my dog. Just like shootin a whitetail with a bow. It's easier to follow the bloodtrail from a bowshot animal and easier to find a deer...but make no mistake...those coyotes were dead and not very far away. Might need a little more persistance to find one but they go down, no miracle survivalist in my world, they die just like any other animal, just as easy and just as tough if hit bad.

Anyhow, thats experience from actually doing it i guess?, and understanding lung hits may not just drop them on the spot.

B

Last edited:
Quote:
he posted about a few coyotes he shot in the lung area and said it bit the sides then straitened out and left the country.
B

That reminds me of a yote of opportunity I shot once while deer hunting, he came into a grunt call of all things, or appeared to, anyway he was 150yds away walking fast, side hill to me somewhat, I hit him a too far back with a .308 win 180gr failsafe in the gut/spine, he went down in the hind quarters, but was biting at himself and ripping his own guts out...not for long though, maybe 15 seconds and he was dead. What the bullet didn't do, he finished himself.

Speaking of small cartridges and varmint hunting..... I was installing base moulding on a house this afternoon and a HUGE spider crawled out of the wall right next to me. Now don't call me a girl, but I hate spiders. I immediately shot him to the floor with my air compressor powered finish nailer. SPLAT My question is, do you think an 18 gauge nailer would have done the trick as effectively as my 16 gauge gun did? I mean, man, he was dead right there! I just hate to see a spider crawl off and not be recovered, it ain't right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Todd

Reminds me of a story relayed to me by a buddy who did roofing for a while, says he shot a squirrel out of a tree above him with the nail gun. Did you put the gun on the spider and pull trigger? Or hold back the safety and shoot it from a distance...that'd be cool.
Hmmm I can't find 16ga or 18 ga nails in any of my ballistics tables, so I guess we need more kills to base our decision on.

Again, Im not campaigning for the 17 HMR, I would never reccommend one for predator hunting, unless thats the only rifle you have, or the only one of two you can use, or if thats what you want to use. There are much better ones out there, and I would suggest you can, narrow it down to which ones are "best", or better than the cartridge/caliber, on either side of whats optimum. There is an optimum too, and most anyone here polled would suggest three or four, so that does allude to which are "best".
Remember what the original question was Arbor, or did you get lost in the intoxicating sense of puffing out your chest and looking like the room tough:)
The guy wanted to know which cartridge was better to use in his area, for his particular circumstances, and the question was which was better, the 22 LR, or the 17 HMR. If anyone thinks the 22LR is more effective at killing coyotes than the 17HRM, they are either ignorant, or stupid. Ignorance is just not knowing any better, thats ok, becasue you can get some experience with one and become smarter. If your stupid, your just failing to accept the facts, no help there, but you'll always show your [beeep] when in the company of people who know better.

there is a big size difference in the western yotes and the easterns, that needs to be taken into consideration, thats why I reccomend a 22 wmr and 50 gr bullets when yote hunting. they will get to 70 pounds plus herein the east.
RR

Back