17 hmr for cape buffalo?

I just happen to be reading a Peter Capstick book.

The thought of shooting a Cape Buffalo with a .17 is rather amusing. Essentially, you'd be annoying the most irritable and foul-tempered beast in Africa. It'd be like walking up to one and poking it in the butt with a chopstick.

Only bad things would happen after that. Capstick reports that he witnessed a particularly bad-tempered old bull who got up on the wrong side of the bed, had a particularly poor breakfast, and then took out two lions after they looked at him wrong.

Grouse

Great threads.

Chupa - you have but a second to shoot and lay flat so you don't drill yourself in the melon. Additionally note the compass heading as you'll have to adjust for Coriolis Effect. And weather over the oceans...

And shot placement...all day long...bug holes...boolits, shooting lights out...if you do your part...

The key is penetration without the explosive destruction encountered with VMax's.

FMJ (Full Metal Jacket)

Shoot an elephant in the butt it will come out his trunk, problem with a Cape Buff is if you hit the boss of the horns it will destroy your trophy.

Why once I...nevermind, ya'll would just call BS so to heck with ya.

Last edited:
Of couse it will need to be a Savage. No other HMR will be able to do it. Just the sheer sight of a Savage should kill the beast. Why I bet the box the Savage came in would do fine. After all we keep hearing about all the "out of the box" performance from them
smirk.gif
. Then again, the box alone might ruin the meat and horns with all that power, might want to club him with a Marlin instead. Everybody knows that's all they're good for
laugh.gif

Just don't forget to check for what's behind the Buffalo you are shooting. More than once I've accidentally flock-shot buffalo that were milling around on the far side and dropped 3 or 4 extras because the 17hmr kept punching through. Oops!

Originally Posted By: WeaselCircusJust don't forget to check for what's behind the Buffalo you are shooting. More than once I've accidentally flock-shot buffalo that were milling around on the far side and dropped 3 or 4 extras because the 17hmr kept punching through. Oops!

Don't be admitting to irresponsible stuff like that on here, that's just not right.

Did forget to check behind the last buffalo ousted the HMR on, and got written up by warden for no tag for the elephant and two hippos it dropped. [beeep] 20 grains!

Originally Posted By: DakotaBoyDid forget to check behind the last buffalo ousted the HMR on, and got written up by warden for no tag for the elephant and two hippos it dropped. [beeep] 20 grains!

lol.gif

I used one on a dog town for the first time...Vaporized the whole darn town..!!! couldn't believe my eyes.Bout 30 seconds later grabbed a bottle of water from the cooler along side my chair and it exploded I said"what the hall?" and saw paint fly off the truck behind me i went over to take a look and sho nuff it was a 20 grainer stuck in the cab of the truck.So now i know how that 17could be down rite devistatin on a bufflo.

Originally Posted By: AzDiamondHeat Turned the entire insides to beef stew. DRT.

The velocity must have created enough vacuum to pull a cow in with the bullet to create the beef stew? Not trying to pick holes in this theoretical discussion, I'm new here trying to learn. Plus I just bought a .17 HMR but have been to scared to shoot it, this conversation is not giving me any more confidence.

Last edited:
If you do decide to shoot it ... keep a close watch behind you. It will make a full revolution around the earth before you even break your cheek weld! You'll end up with a self-inflicted Texas heart shot. Not a good situation to find yourself in!
cry.gif

Once the 17 wsm comes out and people begin to shoot them the extreme speed when the bullet circles the earth will probably throw the earths rotation off and throw us into the sun.

All right.. chuckle chuckle.. I think we *all* know you'd be overplaying your hand a little trying to take a Cape Buffalo with an HMR.

Now - that said - I'd try it if someone would back me up with a .22 Hornet double rifle.

Backing you up with a 22 hornet is overkill. I'll back you up with some 22 long rifle birdshot instead. 1 round should be plenty but I can keep a second one in my bandoleer just in case of a stampede.

Back