.17 hm2......

Originally Posted By: SShooterZI have a couple .17HM2s

I think it's an awesome round. Lots of fun to shoot and accurate as can be. I have a CZ Varmint and a custom 581 Brian Voelker built into a .17HM2 for me.

Just overall fun round to shoot and deadly on small game.

As some have mentioned, Eley ammo seems to be the best and I think they made the ammo for Remington.

Some people shoot .17 Aguila ammo in theirs but I have had mixed results with that.

I just did a search on GB and you're right, seems not too many of them out there anymore.
frown.gif

I see that you have put some .17 Aguila through your .17 Hornady Mach 2 Chamber. Was it 20 grain FMJ solid points? I don't know if CCI/Hornady will ever load a FMJ 20 grain in .17 Mach 2, wish they would load a 20 grain solid to 47 Foot lbs at 200 yards and another 20 grain to 47 Foot lbs at 100 yards for small game edibles. As you know the Aguila brass is blown away from the 20 grain projectile leaving .036" wobble room at the rear end and .018" wobble in the Mach2 neck. Is the Aguila core fluxed and melted to join with the jacket? Is the core visible at the rear end of the projectile? Do you have any photos of the projectile out of the case? The jump to the Mach2 leade is an additional .096". Have you by chance examined your Mach2 leade with a borescope for burned, dislocated, or broken rifling lands? Did you by chance run a chronometer or strain gage on the chamber? Natchez Shooter Supplies is claiming 286 Foot Pounds energy at the muzzle at 1850 FPS instead of the true 152 foot pounds. http://www.natchezss.com/ammo.cfm?conten...odID=AU1B222342 Sure would appreciate any information you can give me about this subject. Thanks

Its the ultimate small game round and that is its niche.

The 17hmr is just too powerful on rabbits and squirrel for the table. The hm2 accuracy, trajectory, and terminal performance is just right for small game.

If your shooting stuff you don't plan to eat then there is absolutely no reason not to get the 17hmr that I can see especialy with the rising cost of HM2 and the dropping cost of HMR. Then again if you don't eat it a .223 would be good too unless your shoot high volume like prarie dogs.

Wish I still had my 452 american HM2.

Originally Posted By: lambadafan
I see that you have put some .17 Aguila through your .17 Hornady Mach 2 Chamber.

Was it 20 grain FMJ solid points? Pretty sure that is what it was. I can check when I get home.

Is the Aguila core fluxed and melted to join with the jacket? No idea.

Is the core visible at the rear end of the projectile? Again, no idea. Haven't recovered nor pulled one.

Do you have any photos of the projectile out of the case? I do not. Sorry.

Have you by chance examined your Mach2 leade with a borescope for burned, dislocated, or broken rifling lands? Nope. But I also haven't noticed any decrease in accuracy from any of them yet either so I have no reason to believe there are any problems. This from using traditional HM2 ammo, not 17 Aguila.

Did you by chance run a chronometer or strain gage on the chamber? Nope. And wouldn't even know where to begin on making that happen.

Sure would appreciate any information you can give me about this subject. Thanks Sorry, don't have a whole lot of help to provide.

I will say I had some split necks and accuracy was not good with the Aguila compared to the regular HM2 ammo. I only shot about 10 rounds with it from what I remember. Shoot me a PM and maybe we can find a way for me to send you a few boxes.

I have one .17Mach2 Savage Mark II FNS. Hornady now has the lightweight Non-lead NTX projectile but no news about a solid point from them. So at the moment I'm very indecisive about which way to go. I'd like to get a couple more Mach2 for the grandkids but if no solid points are going to be available for the Mach2 it means 3 more bolt rifles in .17 Aguila, and I don't know of anyone producing a bolt action clip fed .17 Aguila.
What model and make did you shoot the .17 Aguila in? Do you know of anyone who has photos of the projectile alone? Thank you for any additional info

I really do wish people would use the terms: 'clip' and 'magazine' correctly. They are not imterchangeable. Totally two different things.

Jack

Pretty sure I was shooting through my CZ Varmint with the Aguila.

Originally Posted By: Jack RobertsI really do wish people would use the terms: 'clip' and 'magazine' correctly. They are not imterchangeable. Totally two different things.

Jack

Magazine is mentioned once in this whole thread, and correctly I believe. And I don't think clip is mentioned at all.
confused.gif

Back