17-223 any reason not to build it?

Originally Posted By: 6724I thought I already answered this but maybe it was not recieved.
Neck turning? Necessary? If the chamber is loose, maybe not. If the chamber is NOT loose, then yes. Without turning necks the accuracy I get is not good enough for the caliber's intended uses. It also makes for very short brass life as the pressures are inconsistent and often high, it also makes for difficult chambering and unfired cartridge extraction.
So, if you like to fight to get an unfired round out of the chamber, like when you get back to the truck after hunting, if you like the occasional primer loose in the trigger group, or you like mediocre accuracy, or you like to use the formed brass 1 time, then run them as formed.
The round is a good one, just shot my first coyote of the season yesterday with mine, tiny entrance hole, no exit hole. Dead coyote. Sure, you can't shoot them in the guts or lower leg or in the hind quarter and expect them to drop, but hit where you are supposed to and there will be no problems.

If neck turning is too much effort, go with a 17 remington.

You sure did I just didn’t see it in my inbox right away. So thank you...

Well my new card finally came in so I’ll be making my order this afternoon.

Quick question can I use lake city 5.56 brass or am I better off using actual 223?

FWIW maybe thinner brass ends up w/ thinner necks after necking down? Dunno - just a thought - havent done it myself.

Get a copy of the reamer print used for your barrel(s), then all your case dimensions questions are answered. Have a case gauge cut using the reamer, with a cut out of the neck and shoulder. Then you can speed through checking brass before reloading, and should never have a failure to go into battery. My next build will include these.

Back