16" vs. 20" rifle

So I buggered up my last AR... Kind of... I bought the DPMS 16 inch Super Bull Barrel that is free floated.... Its accurate (1/2 MOA)
kJOA6vS.png
and shoots awesome well out to 300 yards, but my god is it loud. ] And its part flame thrower.... I built it for a truck gun and a daytime coyote rig, it works well for that but I wish I would have bought a 20" or 24" with a lighter profile barrel. Because the way it is set up now it is really heavy also the. The only good news is that this means that I have an excuse to buy another one.... Also the carbine length hand guard is a little short. So I use the Bipod to get a little bit more length.

Last edited:
You could always change out the handgaurd and barrel. Replace the 3-9 scope with a 1-4 scope or just use the red dot.

I use a 6.8 which has a 16" Wilson Combat lightweight hunter barrel w/ 1-4 VXR scope. Rifle weighs 7lbs and I love it for scouting and shooting 300yds or less. Shooting any further, I use my 700 with 26" barrel and 4.5-14 VX3.

However, In thick brush, My G20 is my favorite scouting hardware.

If you are not suppressed, you should always wear ear protection (Like Rudi). I always wear some type of glasses too.

My 6.8: http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2500728

I have 16 18 20 and 22". Built by JP all of them shoot great and have proved to be good coyote medicine. Each is a different color and I use them all depending on where and when I am chasing old wiley. I seem to hunt with the 18 and the 22 the most.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RustydustI used to have a 16" barreled AR. USED to have. Jumped out of the truck once to pop at a rock chuck. Ow ow ow ow! Dang that hurt! Stupid me for not taking 5 seconds to put my muffs on. What was worse that it actually had a 14" barrel with a welded on 2" muzzle break to make it legal.

My one and only AR-15 now has a 24" barrel and that is so much better. Still need the muffs but it sure is a lot more quiet.

That's the brake's fault, not the 16in barrel.

Originally Posted By: alexrex20Originally Posted By: RustydustI used to have a 16" barreled AR. USED to have. Jumped out of the truck once to pop at a rock chuck. Ow ow ow ow! Dang that hurt! Stupid me for not taking 5 seconds to put my muffs on. What was worse that it actually had a 14" barrel with a welded on 2" muzzle break to make it legal.

My one and only AR-15 now has a 24" barrel and that is so much better. Still need the muffs but it sure is a lot more quiet.

That's the brake's fault, not the 16in barrel.

not all the brakes fault. even without brake a shorter barrel is always going to sound louder than longer one.

I didn't say it wouldn't. A 16in AR15 is not all that loud with a flash hider, linear comp, or target crown. It's definitely not "Ow ow ow ow! Dang that hurt!" loud.

Originally Posted By: alexrex20A 16in AR15 is not all that loud with a flash hider, linear comp, or target crown. It's definitely not "Ow ow ow ow! Dang that hurt!" loud.

if you say so. my ears say diffrent.

I have a 20" in heavy profile. Accurate on 450 yd. p-dogs. 15" free float forend. Very nice. Great coyote medicine also.

Paul

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: alexrex20A 16in AR15 is not all that loud with a flash hider, linear comp, or target crown. It's definitely not "Ow ow ow ow! Dang that hurt!" loud.

In a typical hunting situation in an empty field or the woods, it's not bad. Of course, at a range with lane dividers and a roof, it can be pretty painful.

Originally Posted By: alexrex20Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: alexrex20A 16in AR15 is not all that loud with a flash hider, linear comp, or target crown. It's definitely not "Ow ow ow ow! Dang that hurt!" loud.

In a typical hunting situation in an empty field or the woods, it's not bad. Of course, at a range with lane dividers and a roof, it can be pretty painful.

In that situation, you would be wearing hearing protection. So, not even then would it make a difference. Noise isn't a factor in my deciding of barrel length.

Chupa

Well, I bit the bullet a week ago and found a killer price online for the NEW 20" RRA Coyote upper. I got it in about 2 days. Havent had time to play yet, but anxouisly awaiting.

Working on getting mine suppressed as we speak. I am thinking about getting a Gemtech, or one by bell custom rifles.... But for the daytime rig i will have to get the barrel fluted to cut some weight...

18" upper with a Douglas MK12 barrel. It will be a mid-length barrel with a rifle length system. If there is a do all setup of ARs, then this is it.

Originally Posted By: BigGrizz18" upper with a Douglas MK12 barrel. It will be a mid-length barrel with a rifle length system. If there is a do all setup of ARs, then this is it.

really? what will it do that the others wont? make bacon and eggs? my ar can beat up you ar.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: BigGrizz18" upper with a Douglas MK12 barrel. It will be a mid-length barrel with a rifle length system. If there is a do all setup of ARs, then this is it.

really? what will it do that the others wont? make bacon and eggs? my ar can beat up you ar.

Ummm.....was I contentious in my post? Sorry to piss in your Cheerios if I did.

What this barrel and gas setup do is provide long range accuracy with a compact setup and low recoil impulse. It allows a shooter to utilize the heavier, higher BC bullets for consistent long range performance while being agile/mobile.

i dont even know what contentious means.
lol.gif
just messing around with you. didnt mean nothing bad by it.

but as far as "It allows a shooter to utilize the heavier, higher BC bullets for consistent long range performance", you are limited to what bullet you shoot by the magazine just like me with my 16", 20" or 24".

agile/mobile? 16" has the advantage there by 2".
tt1.gif

you 18" set up sounds great but it aint no do all set up by any means. diff strokes for diff folks.

peace and chicken grease bro.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnot i dont even know what contentious means.
lol.gif
just messing around with you. didnt mean nothing bad by it.

but as far as "It allows a shooter to utilize the heavier, higher BC bullets for consistent long range performance", you are limited to what bullet you shoot by the magazine just like me with my 16", 20" or 24".

agile/mobile? 16" has the advantage there by 2".
tt1.gif

you 18" set up sounds great but it aint no do all set up by any means. diff strokes for diff folks.

peace and chicken grease bro.

This may help you understand: www.precisionreflex.com/Content.aspx?PAGE=Mark12+Mod+0+SPR

And yep, have a good one

Back