12 GA barrel length

GRIZZLYONE

For a dedicaited coyote shotgun. What would you all recommend? I know little about shotguns. Would 21 inch full choke be to short? Grizz

Fixed choke? Anything will work if it patterns good. Myself I like a long barrel (28") but I duck hunt so thats what I'm used to. More follow through and all that. If it was me I would go with a 24 or 26 inch barrel, but thats me.

Another stupid question. Will barrel length effect shot patern. For example take two shotguns same make/model, same choke, same load one is fitted with a 21 inch barel the other 24 or 26 inch barrel. Will this change the pattern and performence? Does the shorter barrel lose velocity like a rifle? I feel likes a moron asking this. you would think with over 30 years of hunting and shooting I would know this stuff but all my vermin were kilt with a rifle. Thanks, Grizz.

I have heard with shotguns and steel shot the barrel lenght doesnt have as much influence on velocity because the powder is burnt much sooner.

Grizz,

When I use to use shotguns on fox & coyotes. I always bought long barreled "smoothbore fixed full choke" shotguns. I spot/stalked them which means most of my shots were considered long range. Frankly most of them were long range. As they are hard to sneak in on within "normal" shotgun range.

I used shotguns with barrel lengths from 30"-36" for long reach. I mainly used buffered Remington 4 & 3Buck on coyote. Used 4Buck & BB on Red fox.

"Buffer" in buffered buckshot shells. Assists in aligning vs crowding of the large shot. As it is pushed down a long tight barrel. Which in turn reduces friction/crowding/deformation. Resulting in a more unform & tighter pattern.

You want a "dedicated" predator shotgun. Then buy a smoothbore fixed full choke. I would opt for a minimum length of atleast a 28" smoothbore fixed full choke barrel.

Dedicated goose hunters from yrs ago & for many yrs following. Understood the need for long barreled smoothbore full choke shotguns. As they understood their reach & tight patterns way out there.

Generally speaking the longer barrels do tend to pattern somewhat better and will give slight increases in velocity. The velocity thing is very slight, like maybe 5 - 10 fps per inch of shotgun barrel depending upon the load. With field loads there is less of a difference than with a heavy magnum type load. This makes the velocity factor pretty much a non-issue when considering common hunting lengths like the difference between a 23" turkey specific barrel and a 26" wingshooting/general use barrel. For predator or turkey specific I really like 24" barrels with a close second being a 26" length.

Patterning is much the same kind of deal. The differences in individual barrels and chokes and how they react to a certain load can negate any advantage length may play in giving a better pattern. As an example, I have 18 1/2", 24", and 26" barrels for my two Benelli M1S90 semi-auto 12's and they all take the exact same chokes. The 24" and 26" are pretty much even in pattern densities with no clear advantage to either one. Most of the time both of those two will out pattern the shorter 18 1/2" barrel. Sometimes by a great degree, sometimes by not so much. However, in at least one instance the shortest barrel will out shoot the other two with a certain load and choke. Which reminds me that there are no set hard and fast rules and I always try to speak in general terms.

While I am no expert as I usually use a rifle but I think you would handicap yourself if you did not get one with screw in chokes. You can buy fixed choke guns cheap these days though. The new chokes available will allow you to tailor your pattern to the shotshell you chose. Of course you can go bankrupt with all the choices. I would shoot a turkey load and a turkey choke myself (of course that is what I have). A cool option would be a over/under coyote gun. There are some pretty inexpensive ones out there that would work great for predators, and they would take Krylon with less tears....

Ok barrel length will have very little to do with the pattern. Now if it is a moving target you will have a better sight plain on the long barrel. In the old days barrel length did play into it. With the chokes and shells that are on the market now days you just need to pick what you feel is best for you then get with a choke company to set up the shell/choke to do what you need.

Coyote hunting is NOT WINGSHOOTING! Most shots can be aimed like a rifle and if it is on the run and your swinging the long barrel might not help much cuz you are sitting down usualy. Very hard to swing the 28" from the seated position.

Take a 28 inch gun and sit down like you are on the stand. I find the barrel is nearly touching the ground and that long heavy barrel makes it uncomfotable to hold the gun for 30 minutes on the stand. I think for a dedicated yote gun you basicaly want a turkey model with screw in chokes and a 20-24 inch barrel. I shoot the 28" because its my all around shotgun and needs to do duck duty aswell as coyote. Coyote only I would buy a second barrel.

Many guns offer multiple barrel length. You could a 870 with 2 barrels very affordably. Or beretta 3901 for more but still only around 550, it comes with a 28" but you can easily find the short turkey barrels used.

seriously consider a gas powered semi to help recoil with the heavy coyote loads. Weight will be a trade off between ease of carry, recoil, and smooth swing. I'd go atleast 7lbs myself as even my 8.5 pound 3901 with a kickeeze kicks like a mule with those 3" BB loads.

Last edited:
I have been shooting coyotes with a shotgun for over 25 years and most of those shots have been more like wing shooting. I don't want a shotgun barrel under 26" long and I use the 28" barrels most of the time.

When I am so old that I can't swing a 28" barreled shotgun I will just retire from coyote calling.

I also like the way the 26" and 28" barrels point out past my feet when I am sitting down or laying down.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobI have been shooting coyotes with a shotgun for over 25 years and most of those shots have been more like wing shooting. I don't want a shotgun barrel under 26" long and I use the 28" barrels most of the time.

When I am so old that I can't swing a 28" barreled shotgun I will just retire from coyote calling.

I also like the way the 26" and 28" barrels point out past my feet when I am sitting down or laying down.

Same here.

Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660Take a 28 inch gun and sit down like you are on the stand. I find the barrel is nearly touching the ground and that long heavy barrel makes it uncomfotable to hold the gun for 30 minutes on the stand.

There are these things called shooting sticks. They come in pretty handy when your hand calling. HS strut has one that even clamps onto the barrel.

Last edited:
I presonally prefer a 24 inch. I shoot a m1super90 from dove to deer work good on everything inbetween.Gun came with 5 choke tubes I have bought some aftermarket ones for steel shot and coyotes loads.

Originally Posted By: beagler24"

I have one right in the gun case here that tapes at 20" long. Same length as the slug barrels EXCEPT it has no sights on it.

Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660Coyote hunting is NOT WINGSHOOTING! Most shots can be aimed like a rifle and if it is on the run and your swinging the long barrel might not help much cuz you are sitting down usualy. Very hard to swing the 28" from the seated position.

Take a 28 inch gun and sit down like you are on the stand. I find the barrel is nearly touching the ground and that long heavy barrel makes it uncomfotable to hold the gun for 30 minutes on the stand. I think for a dedicated yote gun you basicaly want a turkey model with screw in chokes and a 20-24 inch barrel. I shoot the 28" because its my all around shotgun and needs to do duck duty aswell as coyote. Coyote only I would buy a second barrel.

Many guns offer multiple barrel length. You could a 870 with 2 barrels very affordably. Or beretta 3901 for more but still only around 550, it comes with a 28" but you can easily find the short turkey barrels used.

seriously consider a gas powered semi to help recoil with the heavy coyote loads. Weight will be a trade off between ease of carry, recoil, and smooth swing. I'd go atleast 7lbs myself as even my 8.5 pound 3901 with a kickeeze kicks like a mule with those 3" BB loads.

I couldnt agree more. Hence the reason I use Rem 1100. I never used reloaded shells in it though because without use a resizer on them ( which you ARENT supposed to do with a loaded round) you stand a good chance ot having one stick in the chamber

Originally Posted By: GRIZZLYONEFor a dedicaited coyote shotgun. What would you all recommend? I know little about shotguns. Would 21 inch full choke be to short? Grizz

Grizz. A 21" barrel ..full choke...is all you NEED to get the job done. Of course you could buy and use one with a 32" barrel...but why???...
lol.gif

If it isnt tight enough for you...and you arent using screw in chokes ( recommended) then use a SMALL brake hone and some THIN oil and polish...I mean POLISH the choke area GLASS SMOOTH. It really helps "tighten" the pattern.

Another trick of the trade is to remove the "forcing cone" in the barrel and have it polished smooth. Cut way down on "felt recoil".

The wife and I shot trap for more than 15 years and Ive seen various tricks used to tighen up the patterns that would astound you

Last edited:
Back