12 ga 00 buckshot on hogs

dwa

I've been skeptical to use it. Last night a guy borrowed my 12 gauge to hunt with us. Used 00 buck to knock down a good pig. The pig was finished with a 308. Looked at the damage the buck made I was highly impressed. Ideal for close up open field shooting on standing or running hogs. I'll have to use it a little more to be sold though. Anyone else using it?

most are under 50 yards. These are short rounds when I was shooting 3.5 's I had no problem with further. I really haven't tried these any further.

Well I'm officially jumping off 00 buck wagon. I spent the money and time to pattern and make sure that my gun was shooting right. Shot a few pigs its just not reliable enough FOR ME. I shot a big pig at around 40 yards and it sounded like I threw rice at him. Not a single pellet penetrated his sheild or skull. But then again I Swiss cheesed a 75# boar. Just like I wouldn't take a 223 on a trophy whitetail hunt I'll just have to use the shotty on little porky control.

The shotgun has its purpose just like any other tool.

If I am going to have longer shots are want to drop them in their tracks, I take a rifle. If I am working tight cover hog "control" and not not "hunting" a will use the shotgun as I hope to get lead into as many as I can, and am not as worried about finding them.

If I am trying to get rid of them (like around my house) I would rather get lead into 3 or 4 and not recover any than use a rifle and only get one. Plus, I don't have to worry about down range accidents near as much with the shotgun.

An then, I prefer the 3" #4 buck with 41 pellets to the 00 buck which only has 9 pellets for 2 3/4" or 15 for 3".

Originally Posted By: YellowhammerThe shotgun has its purpose just like any other tool.

If I am working tight cover hog "control" and not not "hunting" will use the shotgun as I hope to get lead into as many as I can, and am not as worried about finding them I prefer the 3" #4 buck with 41 pellets to the 00 buck which only has 9 pellets for 2 3/4" or 15 for 3".

I'm with you on this, let them die someplace else, a 22lr in the gut will kill them at some point

Back