1000yd

tnshootist

What do you think is the best 1000 yd non wildcat cartridge out now. Considering cost of a barrel to build on a Remmington action. Barrel life,availability of cartridge components. Standard reloading dies and such.

Another vote for .260. I put one together last fall and have been very happy with it thus far. Furthest I've shot it is around 917 yds. This weekend heading to a spot where I can get out to 1400 yds. We'll see how that goes
smile.gif

Edit to add: One thing I have found to really like about the .260 is the lack of recoil. I was very surprised. I can shoot it all morning (50 rounds) and not even feel like I shot at all.

Last edited:
Just finished putting a .260 together. I can't really say too much about how it shoots yet, but the 30 rounds I've put through it were all under 1", 15 were under 3/4". I don't think it will get worse.

Originally Posted By: tnshootistWhat do you think is the best 1000 yd non wildcat cartridge out now. Considering cost of a barrel to build on a Remmington action. Barrel life,availability of cartridge components. Standard reloading dies and such.

Quote: 260 Remington be hard to beat. The little bit older but oh-so-good 7mm-08 be great too.

Rusty mentioned the "older but oh-so-good" 7mm-08; the even older 30-06 with 190 gr. SMK's ain't too shabby, John.
wink.gif
smile.gif

Regards,
hm

So far it seems like the 260 has a lot of supporters. What are the advantages over 6.5x284. I will do my research but value opinions of real people.

Last edited:
I am a .260 fan, never shot one to 1000 but I can see cheaper brass, available brass, less powder, better barrel life as advantages over the 6.5x284.

I would be looking hard at a 243 AI twisted tight shooting 115 D-Tacs or 115 Bergers. I heart me some .243.

http://www.6mmbr.com/243Win.html

Originally Posted By: tnshootistSo far it seems like the 260 has a lot of supporters. If you will tell me the advantages over 6.5x284.

The .260 uses less powder to achieve similar velocities. Brass will never not be available for the handloader for the 260. I mean, you can make it out of 100 year old 30-06 cases if you want to. Then only reason that .284 brass is still available is because when necked down (and occasionally up) to other calibers it became more popular. Funny about that one. The .284 was never a bad round, it's just that everyone ho-hummed it 50 years ago and not until wildcatted did people start taking interest in it.

Us shooters are a funny lot we are.

Originally Posted By: Bearcat 74
I am a .260 fan, never shot one to 1000 but I can see cheaper brass, less powder, berrel barrel life as advantages over the 6.5x284.

I would be looking hard at a 243 AI twisted tight shooting 115 D-Tacs or 115 Bergers. I heart me some .243.

http://www.6mmbr.com/243Win.html
Now that right there is a great idea. I have a 243 with a slow twist barrel. It would make a great long range rifle with a fast twist. Never once entered my mind. That's the only thing that makes sense for me to get what I want with the least expense.

Last edited:

You must mean the 26 at 400 is near the 260's velocity at the muzzle?

Fast twist 243 looks good. I've shot mine with 105's out to 808 and if someone that could actually shoot was behind the wheel it would be very effective.

Originally Posted By: Bearcat 74

Fast twist 243 looks good. I've shot mine with 105's out to 808 and if someone that could actually shoot was behind the wheel it would be very effective.

Yes that's what I was trying to say got fingers in the wrong hole.lol

I guess I'm partial but I'd go 7 rem mag
Over the last two days I've been doing a quite a bit of shooting from 600-935 (the farthest that's ranged without shooting at ruffling at our local range)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bryan hOriginally Posted By: Bearcat 74

Yes that's what I was trying to say got fingers in the wrong hole.lol

LOL, sometimes you never know.

I had a guy tell me one time that a .308 was a great long range round because it didn't shed any velocity from the muzzle out to 1000yds.

I had another say that a 7RM shooting 175gr Core-Lokts is dead on from 0-500yds and it drops 1" per 100yds from 500-1000yds.

Back