10 year old son has developed a fear of his gun.

I think every 20 ga I have ever shot kicked harder than the same model in 12 ga. Not sure why that would be unless it's due to the smaller surface area of the recoil pad, and the lighter weight. My FIL gave me a "beyond repair" Franchi 20 ga. It took me about 20 minutes to fix it. Now that it's fixed I never shoot it. I think it kicks harder with heavy bird loads than my Benelli does with 3 1/2" duck loads.

Originally Posted By: FurFlyin'I think every 20 ga I have ever shot kicked harder than the same model in 12 ga. Not sure why that would be unless it's due to the smaller surface area of the recoil pad, and the lighter weight. My FIL gave me a "beyond repair" Franchi 20 ga. It took me about 20 minutes to fix it. Now that it's fixed I never shoot it. I think it kicks harder with heavy bird loads than my Benelli does with 3 1/2" duck loads.

Maybe I would have been better off to get him a 12ga....that's what I started with.

I teach Hunter Ed and Trap shooting to kids and the most frighting thing to the kids and the adults that take the class is the unknown. Once most kids get past the fist shot it is not as scary. We us only Rem 870 youth models 20 ga. for all live firing in hunter ed. Most 12 yrs olds are ok with it but some of the smaller sized kids are not strong enough to hold the gun up and lean way back to balance the gun. So the recoil will knock them back making the recoil seem bad. Also you must have good hearing protection for the kids because the noise can scare them more than the recoil. Is far as youth deer hunting I recommend 50 cal muzzleloaders loaded down with 50 gr powder and 250 gr bullet with a 2x7x40 scope zeroed in at 50 yds it kicks less then a 20 ga slug and can kill a deer with no problem. Just don't push them. I always ask if they want to shoot again and they will if they want to. If they don't they can just say no thanks. I have been to some youth shoots were a over bareing parent stands back behind his son and and calls him a sissy because he does not want to shoot again or starts crying because they were more scared then hurt. That kid will probley never want to shoot or hunt again.

Originally Posted By: FurFlyin'I think every 20 ga I have ever shot kicked harder than the same model in 12 ga.
+1. I got an 870 wingmaster a while back,and I wanted a 20 gauge. Well I went bird hunting with my Mom's 12 gauge,and I thought that it was'nt any worse than a 20. I got a 12 gauge at the local sporting goods store,and I've loved it ever since!
Ben

Back