10/22 Bull Barrel

gonzaga

I was just wondering if getting the bull barrel is worth it. I have been thinking about using my 10/22 for shooting prairie dogs.
The second half of the question is how much are they running now?

Gonzaga, I have a Magnum Research carbon fiber barrel on one of my 10/22s and with a 10x scope, it's pretty accurate at 100yds...About max for most .22lr shooting IMHO...there are some that work at 200yds, but I question the killing power out at that range..

Ruger10-22-22lr.jpg

You have to excuse the red paint (my granddaughters love it) as it doesn't affect the accuracy..

I think the price on the barrel was around $250 at the time I got it about 10 years ago...I think they have come down quite a bit since...There were about six of us that decided to build ultra-lite .22s at the time, just for giggles and they came in at about 5.5# with the scopes..I could 'cheese hole the stock and reduce some more weight, but don't want to violate the integrity...

I have another barrel by the same company in .17M2 and it's equally as accurate, just a little more expensive to shoot..
eek.gif

Thanks for the info guys. Clerke Arms makes the barrels here in town and I might be able to swing by there one of these days, when I have a day off. Bo is a heck of a good guy, I met him when I delivered to him a few years back. He has some real interesting stories too.

Green Mountain barrels are about as good as the best for around $120. I wouldn't waste the ammo on shooting PDs with a 22lr though, they will crawl away to their holes.

If you just want an accurate rifle without spending a lot of money (and having to modify or replace the stock to accept a bull barrel), go over to Rimfirecentral, find Nemohunter, and have him recrown and rechamber your present barrel.
It will shoot as well then as most of the aftermarket barrels. There are many before and after pics there of groups from barrels he's done.

I've got the same barrel as Old Turtle, it's now a $650 10/22, with the other work included, and I did a lot of it myself.
I'm going with Nemohunter's barrel on the next one and see if I can bring it in below $300.

Last edited:
+1 on the green mountain barrel. They are excellent products. Mine is a 16 inch blued fluted and it is a tack driver.

I was wondering what kind of barrels those were in Cabela's. 99.00 isn't too bad for what I will use it for. Thanks guys,

gonzaga

I dont even wanna start putting money into my ruger, from what I hear it's very addicting. Heck it's only a .22, my stock 10/22 will kill chucks at 100 yds plus so im happy. I'll dump my money into my AR I dont need a 200 yd squirrel gun that cost me $1000... But my kids sure think they look cool in them nice pink and blue colors.

I put a green mountain fluted bull barrel on a 10/22 mag build that I did a couple of years back. Someone at rimfirecentral.com informed me that green mountain usually had a sale every year so I watched their website and scored a brand new barrel for around $70. Installed and have been extremely happy with it. If you can wait watch for the sale and you can save some $$$.

Quote:If you can wait watch for the sale and you can save some

It might be a long wait. Right now you can barely find a Green Mtn. barrel at all.

Several years ago I put a tapered fluted Green Mtn. barrel on my 10/22 I was able to use my original walnut checkered stock.I don't know if that barrel is still available .I shot it this weekend using Federal Auto Match ammo, shooting off hand to knock over steel targets out to 77 meters.

Quote:
I was wondering what kind of barrels those were in Cabela's.

You mean this one?
Green Mountain barrel

Well, I had a 20" non-fluted stainless barrel and traded it off because it was a boat anchor. It weighed about 4 pounds and I replaced it with a one pound graphite barrel. My 10/22 is for offhand hunting use, if you just want a bench gun, that's a really good choice.

But you'll hate carrying it, it will be super muzzle heavy.

Last edited:
Quote:I don't know if that barrel is still available .

It is, they still list it on their site. The problem is finding one, unless that's changed very recently. More demand than supply still.
Kinda like primers.

I have the itch to get into the ruger thing myself...it seems like it would be a blast. One thing i have always wondered is what kind of ball park price can you build one for? Also, do you build them from ground up (actiong, trigger, internal parts, barrel, stock...ect) or buy guy then put barrel on? Is there a certain model that you should look for to be able to build on? And my biggest question of all...what kind of 22 ammo do you use to be accurate out to 100 yds and beyond??

Evil, my barrel measures .640 at the muzzle I would call it a hvy. sporter .I had to remove a good bit of wood near the receiver ,the extra weight is near the receiver makes it nice for off hand shooting .I was trying to match the feel of my Sako Finnfire .

Quote:Evil, my barrel measures .640 at the muzzle I would call it a hvy. sporter

Ah, okay, the 18 1/2" Ruger stock carbine barrel is .560 at the muzzle. The barrel band wouldn't go over the heavier barrel.

I'm still of the opinion that if you want to improve the accuracy and get out of it cheap (~$100 or less), you have Nemohunter on Rimfirecentral rework the stock barrel.
Bed the receiver and drop in a $70 trigger kit and you'll have a very nice 10/22, that still looks stock.

Or you can go whole-hog like Old Turtle and I did and have something like this:

019-1.jpg

That ate into the beer money pretty hard, though.
wink.gif

I would rather go whole-hog...lol. I am looking through everything now on internet to get some ideas of what i might need.

Quote:I would rather go whole-hog...

Well, by the time you're done, you'll have learned some gunsmithing skills without a huge amount of risk. You will for sure know a lot about 10-22's. There are "how-to" guides on either Rimfircentral or Perfectunion that will show you how to do about anything you can think of.

(Including spending an unbelievable amount of money).
laugh.gif

Back