1 in 9" twist .223 barrel owners please read.

In 20" 1 in 9 Bushmaster, 25 gr. H335 and 55 gr Nosler BT are extremely accurate and 27 gr H335 and 40 gr V-Max are very accurate and devastating on small game.

Jeff

I use the gun as my back up, or spare if my girl wants to go PD shooting. 1.5" groups are alittle to hit or miss for the praire dog town. I agree they are fine for Coyote calling but alot of back up predator rigs.

I too love the 40's. Same recipe as JB55 posted. I believe that the extra rotation from a 1/8 twist adds to the efects of the bullet. I wonder if there is a way to measure the RPM's/FPS in different twists to see how it effects the Bullet ?
I have shot many Coyotes with the 40's with mixed results, 100 yds and farther, no exits and no splashes. But 40's when a Coyote is closer, all bets are off. They are indeed accurate little bullets. Interesting thread.

I just acquired a bushmaster 5.56 heavy fluted h-bar flattop upper 16" 1-9 twist and I am wanting to load 40 gn nosler ballistic tips and was wondering if any of you guys already know the secret to this combo.

new to this forum so thanks to all in advance for all the help and guidance you all are sure to give me

I have a rock river lower NM with a 16' SS upper assy from Model 1. I have been getting 3/4 inch groups at 100' with 55gr nosler BTBT's and 24grs of varget I have not chronoed these yet but would guess they are close to 2875 fps.

I would look at the Powder you intend to load, and look at the reloading manual for a starting position. Then work your way up until you find what shoots well in your Rifle. Good Luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
In 20" 1 in 9 Bushmaster, 25 gr. H335 and 55 gr Nosler BT are extremely accurate and 27 gr H335 and 40 gr V-Max are very accurate and devastating on small game.

Jeff

That's virtually the same loads I have used out of my 1 in 9 Savage and they group very, very well. A gun with a short throat would probably require a powder reduction, though.

25.5g of Benchmark along with the discontinued 40g Combined Technology's shot a five shot group you can cover with a dime out of my AR and clover leaves out of my LTR.

40gr Sierra HiVel HP. works well for me in 1:9 with H322 H335 and Accurate (i believe 2200). This bullet just works. Tight groups on paper and dead critters down range. All around thumbs up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back