TT - Cow Horn Tip Calls - Pictorial Progress on this batch

Quote:
I did some fine tuning on the toneboard. Part of building a custom call is getting to know your customer. This call is for Mark (SDCoyoteCaller). I know his calling style and the areas he's calling. He needs a call that's easy to blow, can handle a bunch of air, and has really good volume to reach the timbered draws that he calls to from the South Dakota grassy knolls.

Call 2 Sound Test Drive

Tell me what you think Mark. If you like it, I'll give it the "TT" engraving and start buffing.

Tony

Tony, you hit the nail on the head as far as what I need in a call.

It sounds awesome!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif Nice and raspy, just the way I like it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif It will be the perfect compliment to the super high pitched cottontail cowhorn tip I already have from you. You certainly delivered the goods on this baby./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif I think it's definately ready for the TT signature. Thanks alot, bud.

Buffing is complete on Call 2. I engraved my initials and filled them with white paint. Now it's time for a final buffing with a clean cotton rag and then 2 coats of lacquer.

cowtipbuild15.jpg

Tony

Ten of the 13 are custom orders. I will have 3 available, but I don't know which ones yet. What you looking for cottontail or jackrabbit?

Thanks...Tony

Looking good, Tony.

I was wondering if you try and avoid getting much laquer on the top part of the toneboard or doesn't it matter, as long as it is layed down nice and smooth. In other words, does putting laquer down on the toneboard affect the sound? I would think that this is the area that would need the most protection because of moisture, so I assume it doesn't matter. Thanks.

By far my favorite call is the cyanide mini. Love the sound and pitch, so a guess cottontail would be my answer, but would like a bit more volume. As you can see by my avatar my calling county is WIDE open.

Tony, when these are done if you have any available in jackrabbit I would love to have one to go with my cottontail that I bought from you a couple of weeks ago. Just let my know how much. Thanks

I use a dremel with a dental burr.

Mark, I try not to get too much lacquer on the toneboard. I retest it once dry. About 50% of the time I have to use the emery board on it and remove the lacquer buildup. I then spray my fingertip and wipe it across the toneboard to lightly seal it. Unsealed horn....smells (and tastes) like sulfur when wet.

Bowhunt32, let me see what is available out of this batch. If it doesn't do what your looking for, I'll build you one.

Dustinyotes, I have you marked down for a jackrabbit already out of this batch.

Once this call is dry, I'll post the final pics and sound files. The other two calls are still drying and will have to wait for another night's session.

Tony

Quote:
Mark, I try not to get too much lacquer on the toneboard. I retest it once dry. About 50% of the time I have to use the emery board on it and remove the lacquer buildup. I then spray my fingertip and wipe it across the toneboard to lightly seal it. Unsealed horn....smells (and tastes) like sulfur when wet.

Thanks! I always wondered about that with the one piece howlers and the cowhorn tip calls.

just back from dinner with my wife, dang missed a bunch,,, dang woman!!!,,where do you get the stuff you buff it with the Tripoli, I think you call it?

It's a stick of rouge, like a bar of soap. It's wax with a grit in it. The kind I have is made by Dremel. I bought it at Menards (a local home improvement store).

Tony

Oh ya and dental burr where do you get them?
I was thinkin a guy could heist them from the dentist when he wasn't lookin, for what the charge I wouldn't feel guilty

My sister-in-law is a dental hygienist and has been saving me dental burrs for the past 5-6 years. I have 200+ of them. It's amazing all the shapes and sizes. Most are very, very tiny...great for hair detail on engraving coyotes.

Tony

thanks for the idea asmith but it wouldnt work since it was my birthday dinner.... darn the luck

looks like i missed a bunch you do wonderful work tony

Last edited:
Wow!!! It looks and sounds perfect, Tony. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif First rate all the way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif I can't wait to give it a try. Thanks again.

Back