Howling for coyotes

ALLEGANREM17 I have no luck with them at night. But then again I have no luck in the day either.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

ALLEGANREM17,
Howling at night is a good technique to use during spring, for purpose of locating den area's. This time of the year I don't howl until I am ready to shoot the coyotes. Since I don't hunt them at night very often, my howling is done in daytime.

Rich,
I have been listening to howls on Randy Anderson's video and I finally downloaded yours from above. I've heard coyotes my whole life but never really listened to them until now. This morning I gave it a whirl and just after first light, in an area I heard some howling a couple weeks ago, I let loose with my best lonesome howl. I got a response from what I would guess to be a male with what sounded like your aggressive sounds, several barks and some aggressive howls, from about 4 or 500 yds. Before I could respond the whole pack cut loose close by to the male for 20 seconds or so. I was able to return my best rendition of the same agressive howls but, I thought, sounding younger. I then used the KIYI. They never did show.

It sounded to me like the dominate male was telling me to "stay back" that "he was running this pack". The wind swirled on me a time or two and that may have given me away.

Will coyotes respond in much the same way that maybe a herd bull would? Giving you a response to warn you and then pushing his herd away from any threat. I know they don't always come in, but they reacted in such a text book fashion compared to your above comments that I was pumped expecting them to be on top of me. And It was pretty unlikely they were able to circle me without me seeing them. I also don't think they have been pressured by any other callers.

Will coyotes respond in much the same way that maybe a herd bull would? Giving you a response to warn you and then pushing his herd away from any threat.

Hobbes,
I believe that momma coyote will sometimes guide her young away from danger during early summer when she is teaching them to hunt. I don't think they really give a hoot what happens to other members of the family at this time of the year, except for their chosen mate. We as humans, can only guess as to what coyotes are thinking. The last time I experienced a scene such as you describe, it turned out that there was a very deep gorge between me and the coyotes. One thing I am fairly sure of is that the aggressive coyote you heard, was calling you some pretty bad names.

Rich, I've been howling for just a couple of years and have a couple of instructional tapes, and have a hard time telling an interrigation howl from an invitational, could you explain the slight difference to me or maybe put a female invitational howl on-line so i can listen to yours. Thank you.

vmax_blaster,
Listed to my lonesome howl, and use that sound for your invitation. Listen to my challenge howls and use one of those for your interrogation. I will likely get some flak over the next thing I am going to say. I have seen very experienced coyote men mistake a male challenge for a female challenge howl. Old male coyotes sometimes have very high pitched squeal at end of their challenge howl. Old female coyotes sometimes have a low pitched, throaty howl and make you think she has to be a male. That is why I have dubbed my own howls as young coyote or old coyote rather than male or female howls.

turkeylizzard,
I would not howl when trying to call cats. I know that cats do sometimes come in, even after a howl but I personally would not do it.

Thanks Rich,I'm going to order your howler call,I want to be a PM in this area ,not many people doing the yote thing now.Five years from now I can see it being a big time sport.

Greenside,
There very well could be a female invitational howl. I know that a famous western caller put some labels on a few coyote vocalizations and sold em to the public. There have been studies made by educated people who claimed they figured out somewhere between 7 and 12 different coyote vocalizations. Right now I only find three or four coyote vocalizations that interest me and are valuable to those who wish to call coyotes with a howler on regular basis. The most important ones are listed above, and will call many coyotes to those who are willing to give em a serious try. The so called "warning" bark in my own opinion is not to warn other coyotes away. To me it is only a frustrated coyote that wants to come on in, senses something ain't right and stands back at a distance to bark. After you hear it a few times, you will recognize the sound of frustration in the bark. To me, the various coyote barks and howls are only different levels of anxiety or aggression being expressed. My howling technique has changed a little bit over the past few years. As the coyotes teach me more, I try to pass on what I know. The coyote most likely will never reveal ALL of his secrets to us lowly humans. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Greenside,
As you know, there isno absolute answer to that question. I remember Gerry Blair writing that he has worked a coyote for upwars of an hour, and the coyote finally came in. I am assuming that you are getting a challenge bark/howl in response to your efforts, but the coyote refuses to come any closer. This often means that your coyote is standing on the territory boundary line. In that case, you have the choice of moving in on the coyote or coming back another day and setting up closer to the spot where your coyote hung up. I usually choose to come back another day. If you are experiencing a coyote that is standing over there out of sight and barking in frustration, chances are that he knows something is not right. If you are hunting with a pardoner, sometimes you can continue calling while your pardoner makes a wide circle and sneaks in on the frustrated coyote to give said coyote a pill to quiet him down. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mr. Cronk, I have a closed reed howler that sounds really good and is easy to make diffirent voculazitions on. I have called in coyotes with it, however, it sound more like an older dog. Have you ever, or would it be possible to make a cow horn howler, close reed, perhaps with a short horn, that sounds like a young pup? kyray.

kyray,
I could make you one like you describe, but you could save a lot of money by howling with a crit'r call standard, or most any of the decent open reed predator calls. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

KyRay,
Just thought I'd tell you I have a cowhorn howler that I use frequently but more often then not I use a critr call standard as Mr. cronk said. I used it last week at lbl to call in the coyote I took. They make various pitch howls very well with a little practice just not as loud as cowhorn which is sometimes a good thing. I recently bought a package of 3 critr calls at there site for $33.00 shpng. included a critr call pee wee ,standard,and magnum. It was a good deal for the three and they make all kinds of sounds from birds to elk .
zapper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back