Bow fishing, first trip this year

AWS

Retired PM Staff
Made my first trip out this year. I will say it was cold and windy, yesterday enough to keep me from launching the boat.

Friday I took the boat out and cruise the shoreline for a couple miles and only saw five carp and they were deep, offering no shots. I headed into the campsite to charge the batteries. There I met a fellow that said he'd seen some carp below the dam. I headed down there to take a look and sure enough there were carp feeding up in the shallows. I grabbed the bow and started to walk the shoreline. I had fun, missed a number of them, it was the first time of the year and there isn't a lot of places to practice on the desert. I ended up sticking five and breaking two tips on the rocks. One of the tip broke after hitting a fish and he was able to pull off so I ended up with four fish to bring back.

6m2d2p.jpg

I had to use one of the broken tipped arrows for a stringer as I left my stringer in the boat.

Yup I fillet/steak them and make use of them, smoked and pickled.

Steaked
Kq6JYC.jpg

Fillets
UGnwri.jpg

This batch is going to be pickled.

Well Saturday turned out to be a bust, it got pretty cold and the wind came out of the northeast making it difficult to launch the boat by myself. So I headed down to the river again but the cold temps and rifling waters kept the carp deep and I only saw two down in deep channels and didn't get any shots.

I hiked the banks down one side and back on the other all the way around the bend. It was still a fun day.

Friday below the dam.
X3wOX1.jpg

I did see Desert Rams dad out on the lake on friday, he's quite the fisherman.

My rig. I've owned the boat for 47 yrs now, it is a old friend.
KRTNtQ.jpg

I'm going to give the water another week to warm and hit it again.

HOMAnimated-S.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Your pictures make carp actually look almost edible.
smile.gif
I foul hooked a carp about 10-12 pounds last week while bass fishing. Had him hooked just above the tail on a crankbait. He put up a pretty good fight, luckily he pulled free at the boat and I didn't have to fiddle with him and six nasty hookpoints boatside.

Originally Posted By: AWSMade my first trip out this year. I will say it was cold and windy, yesterday enough to keep me from launching the boat.

Friday I took the boat out and cruise the shoreline for a couple miles and only saw five carp and they were deep, offering no shots. I headed into the campsite to charge the batteries. There I met a fellow that said he'd seen some carp below the dam. I headed down there to take a look and sure enough there were carp feeding up in the shallows. I grabbed the bow and started to walk the shoreline. I had fun, missed a number of them, it was the first time of the year and there isn't a lot of places to practice on the desert. I ended up sticking five and breaking two tips on the rocks. One of the tip broke after hitting a fish and he was able to pull off so I ended up with four fish to bring back.

6m2d2p.jpg

I had to use one of the broken tipped arrows for a stringer as I left my stringer in the boat.

Yup I fillet/steak them and make use of them, smoked and pickled.

Steaked
Kq6JYC.jpg

Fillets
UGnwri.jpg

This batch is going to be pickled.

Well Saturday turned out to be a bust, it got pretty cold and the wind came out of the northeast making it difficult to launch the boat by myself. So I headed down to the river again but the cold temps and rifling waters kept the carp deep and I only saw two down in deep channels and didn't get any shots.

I hiked the banks down one side and back on the other all the way around the bend. It was still a fun day.

Friday below the dam.
X3wOX1.jpg

I did see Desert Rams dad out on the lake on friday, he's quite the fisherman.

My rig. I've owned the boat for 47 yrs now, it is a old friend.
KRTNtQ.jpg

I'm going to give the water another week to warm and hit it again.

Nice report !

That's quite the motor on your boat.
4 cycle with a belt drive ?

Back