How to get a suppressor? Process

Wiscoboy

I have been starting to consider getting one for my AR, but have a lot of questions.

My #1 is does this put me on an ATF list if they ever do start getting real gun control traction?

Also, what does the process entail as far as time frame and cost?

And finally I read something about putting the suppressor in a trust so others listed in the trust can shoot it?

Originally Posted By: WiscoboyI have been starting to consider getting one for my AR, but have a lot of questions.
My #1 is does this put me on an ATF list if they ever do start getting real gun control traction?
They already know you have a gun.

Originally Posted By: WiscoboyAlso, what does the process entail as far as time frame and cost?
Current lead times are over 9 months for approvals, don't fart around any longer if you want one by fall. Costs are $200 for the stamp, plus cost of the suppressor, tax, & possible dealer charge.

Originally Posted By: Wiscoboy And finally I read something about putting the suppressor in a trust so others listed in the trust can shoot it?
Anyone can shoot your suppressor in your presence, when filed as an individual.

Anyone listed on the trust can shoot it, as they are the "owners".

Neither can loan out a suppressor.

I've had a lot of guys that were intimidated by submitting all the info to the ATF. Some still did it while others held off.

Like mentioned above, they know, and if you want to get a Suppressor there is no other way around it.

The time frame varies, I had one go through about 2 years ago in 3 months! Something I haven't seen in the past 15 years. But on average 8-12 months. I would recommend finding a dealer that has the ability to e-file your info. I've been hearing they are going quicker than paper forms.

If you have kids, or close relatives that you want to have access to the Suppressor I would go the trust route, there is additional paperwork that is involved, the RPQ for each person and their personal data etc. If you just want to get the ball rolling for yourself then I would get an individual form 4 rolling.

A lot of people overlook the form 5 which is a one time tax exempt transfer to a rightful heir. I'm not familiar with it, and honestly haven't heard of anyone doing one. But for those concerned with a transfer later on to a family member without a trust in place this may be something to look into!

My first suppressor took 9 months, my last one that I picked up in November took 11. Like Skinney said, the time frame varies. Back in December BATFE started doing online forms. My buddy got his in 90 days. But I’d say the ship sailed on those times once word spread.

I’d say do it. Like the guys said the process sounds intimidating but it’s not, just a pain. Once you file, just forget about it…like a kid, then one day BOOM! You’ll get a call from your FFL to come get it out of jail.

Originally Posted By: alf Go here

Just did this yesterday. You can go to their website and find a dealer close to you. They made it pretty quick and easy.

I was looking for a "Do it all can" but decided to go witk two suppressors to better cover my wants.

Originally Posted By: hawkeye58Originally Posted By: alf Go here

Just did this yesterday. You can go to their website and find a dealer close to you. They made it pretty quick and easy.

I was looking for a "Do it all can" but decided to go witk two suppressors to better cover my wants.

Good call...a "do it all" suppressor is like a "do it all" gun...doesn't exist. They typically do certain things well and others not so much.

Back