300 Blackout Upper Build or Buy

TXCOONDOG

It's has taking me 10 years to come around to the idea. Mainly because I want to play with subsonic and my suppressor.

I want a 16" barrel so I can also run supers too. I don't own any .223/5.56 uppers so I need to decide whether to build it or buy an upper with BCG.

Give me your thoughts on building or buying an upper and any recommendations on uppers, barrels and adjustable gas block.

I was a late arrival to the .300 BO as well. Seeing a new 8" barrel, gas block, and gas tube on one of the gun boards for a steal got me into it.

All I shoot is subs.

AR parts prices are once again low so I'd build if you have the ability. I have had ZERO malfunctions with my 8" Ballistic Advantage barrel using a standard gas block, standard buffer and spring, with everything from 190gr bullets to 220gr bullets.

I'm using AA #9 powder and even the slow rounds, @900 FPS, cycled and locked the bolt back.

I use a 1-4 Viper PST scope and limit my shots on hogs to about 75 yards. Fun little rifle to shoot and really quiet with my YHM LT .30 Cal suppressor.

Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptI was a late arrival to the .300 BO as well. Seeing a new 8" barrel, gas block, and gas tube on one of the gun boards for a steal got me into it.

All I shoot is subs.

AR parts prices are once again low so I'd build if you have the ability. I have had ZERO malfunctions with my 8" Ballistic Advantage barrel using a standard gas block, standard buffer and spring, with everything from 190gr bullets to 220gr bullets.

I'm using AA #9 powder and even the slow rounds, @900 FPS, cycled and locked the bolt back.

I use a 1-4 Viper PST scope and limit my shots on hogs to about 75 yards. Fun little rifle to shoot and really quiet with my YHM LT .30 Cal suppressor.

Nice looking rig! I have lots of # 9 and 1680 powders. What bullets you running? how's accuracy?

I shoot a 300 Blackout a lot. But I only shoot Sierra 110 gr HP. I have never had a cycling issue with the 300 B.O. They just seem to function real good.

I bought a 16" Bear Creek side-charger with carbine gas system. I figured if it didn't shoot I would eventually rebarrel it. Turns out it shoots factory 150 fmj under an inch at 100. I'm still working on subsonic loads, but it doesn't have any trouble cycling them. I put an adjustable gas block on it to experiment with closing the gas off so that it wouldn't cycle, just to see how quiet it could be.

I walked in the LGS today to see what they had and end up buying a 46 cal can. This must be the time to buy because I also bought a 2023 Tacoma 4x4....talk about getting sidetracked!

So now I need a 45-70 and 45 Auto with threaded barrels.....maybe a 450 Bushmaster too

Back