Looking at getting New Rifle

bigtommy

So I am looking at getting a new 6.5 creedmoor. I am considering using my stainless Remington 700 22-250 action and building it or buying one of these. Tikka UPR, Bergara carbon edge, savage ultralight, or Weatherby Oryx. What are your thoughts. Building will cost a bit more. If I do not build I will be selling my Abolt Medallion 300 Win mag, and my Remington 700 22-250. If I do build I will still end up selling the Browning.

I'd put a good custom barrel on the 700 and rock on.

A Krieger, Bartlein, or Brux barrel threaded and chambered by a competent smith will not be a crap shoot.

Pros and cons to all of them.

For an off the rack store bought gun Tikka's are hard to beat and they have great aftermarket support as well.

I'm a Rem 700 fan and the majority of my rifles are Rem 700 based semi customs. I prefer built guns over factory because you can build them to your specific specifications.

If saving money and getting the most bang for your buck is the goal and you still want something you can customize down the road I would highly recommend one of the many different models of Tikka. If you want a "built" gun then I would build off of your Rem 700.

Are you going to shoot factory ammo or reload for this rifle? If you're shooting factory ammo allowable OAL won't be much of an issue but if you're reloading and you want to maximize the case building off of the Rem700 will allow you to put a Wyatt's Outdoor extended mag box in it which will bump up your allowable OAL to 3.00 or even 3.100 if you wanted to put Wyatt's Baney box in it.

Are you going to put a suppressor or brake on it? Reason i ask is, seems like a brake isnt really necessaryfor a 6.5cm, and as far as the savage goes, 22" barrel is a bit long for a suppressor. So if you dont need the threaded barrel you could save a bunch of cash buying a savage lightweight storm instead of the ultralite, and itll weigh the same.
I put together a 308 savage ultralite clone with a 16" barrel, as my factory ultralite was too long for a suppressor imo, so now im waiting ona new barrel to turn my factory gun into a 223.

I will be reloading for this rifle. I will probably be running a EC Tuner brake on it. As far as a barrel for my Remington 700 I have looked at Criterion, or something like a preferred carbon. I like the thought of a carbon to help save some weight and still get good ridged barrel for long range target. I am currently at 500 yards wanting to move to 800 which is the furthest I can go where I shoot. I am very new to precision shooting. I will be doing this build myself for the most part. I will be installing a good two stage trigger and am unsure which stock I will use

Really no wrong choice here as far as I can see, very good options above.Kinda boils down to what you have the hots for the most and how big a hurry you are in.

Originally Posted By: bigtommyI will be reloading for this rifle. I will probably be running a EC Tuner brake on it. As far as a barrel for my Remington 700 I have looked at Criterion, or something like a preferred carbon. I like the thought of a carbon to help save some weight and still get good ridged barrel for long range target. I am currently at 500 yards wanting to move to 800 which is the furthest I can go where I shoot. I am very new to precision shooting. I will be doing this build myself for the most part. I will be installing a good two stage trigger and am unsure which stock I will use

It sounds like prechambered barrels is what you're looking at so a "Remage" aka barrel nut setup on your Rem 700 would be a good choice.

Unless you just like how they look there is no real benefit to carbon fiber wrapped barrels. An equal weight all steel barrel is just as rigid, generally more, than a CF barrel and if precision shooting, long range or otherwise, is your intended purpose for this new rifle that's even more reason not to use a carbon fiber wrapped barrel. Something like a 3B or #4 Bull Sporter contour is a good compromise as neither is small but they also aren't overly large or heavy and both will be more rigid/stiff than any CF wrapped barrel.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: bigtommyI will be reloading for this rifle. I will probably be running a EC Tuner brake on it. As far as a barrel for my Remington 700 I have looked at Criterion, or something like a preferred carbon. I like the thought of a carbon to help save some weight and still get good ridged barrel for long range target. I am currently at 500 yards wanting to move to 800 which is the furthest I can go where I shoot. I am very new to precision shooting. I will be doing this build myself for the most part. I will be installing a good two stage trigger and am unsure which stock I will use

It sounds like prechambered barrels is what you're looking at so a "Remage" aka barrel nut setup on your Rem 700 would be a good choice.

Unless you just like how they look there is no real benefit to carbon fiber wrapped barrels. An equal weight all steel barrel is just as rigid, generally more, than a CF barrel and if precision shooting, long range or otherwise, is your intended purpose for this new rifle that's even more reason not to use a carbon fiber wrapped barrel. Something like a 3B or #4 Bull Sporter contour is a good compromise as neither is small but they also aren't overly large or heavy and both will be more rigid/stiff than any CF wrapped barrel.

Nice to know. Yes I do like the look of CF. But the main reason was weight. I have also thought about a sendero /varmint barrel fluted. Also yes I am looking at remage barrel due to the ease of install.

Last edited:
I have a new Proof carbon barrel and it shoots great for the first 5 shots or so but as it heats up it walks a lot, long strings is not a friend to CF barrels. I'm not the only one that's had thus issue, its pretty common. Its on a hunting rifle so long strings are no issue and if a was to do over id just get the same weight steel barrel like Al said in a nice cut rifle blank like Kreiger, Brux, Bartlein ect...

If you want a true long range target rifle get a truck axle sized blank in M24 or heavier contour,, way easier to shoot and take the heat of long strings. There is no such thing g as a lightweight precision rifle so just except that!

One last thing, while the factory suggestions like Tikka and such are great options, they will never shoot with a well put together custom so my vote is rebarrel that 700 and don't look back!

I think my decision has been made to rebarrel the Remington 700. Now which barrel do I get. I think I may try a criterion. I know I’m putting in a two stage trigger either a timney elite, Geissele, or a trigger tech. As far as a stock I am either going with a kinetic research or a magpul hunter 700. I will probably put a vortex 4-16 scope on it. First thing is first I need to sell my browning Abolt Medallion 300 win mag. I think I am going to try local sale first to avoid shipping.

I had a Mag-Pul stock, JMO but I think there are better options for the money. Bell&Carlson, H-S Precision just to name a couple. And also curious why a two stage trigger?

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI had a Mag-Pul stock, JMO but I think there are better options for the money. Bell&Carlson, H-S Precision just to name a couple. And also curious why a two stage trigger?

Two stage because I own both two and single and much prefer two stage. As far as the stock I am leaning heavily toward the KRG.

I think the KRG is a MUCH better choice. Nothing really against the Mag-Pul, I just never really liked it after I had it. Seemed like just another plastic stock.

Now you need to define usage before picking out components like barrel contours and stock options.

Scopes, rings, & bases come into play as well.

Building too heavy and/or out of balance will find you leaving it home more often than not.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI think the KRG is a MUCH better choice. Nothing really against the Mag-Pul, I just never really liked it after I had it. Seemed like just another plastic stock.

I am also looking at Boyd’s stocks.

Originally Posted By: alf
Now you need to define usage before picking out components like barrel contours and stock options.

Building too heavy and/or out of balance will find you leaving it home more often than not.

That is very valid point. Main uses will be target and some hunting. My hope is to stretch it out to 800 yards but I’ve been saying that for a few years. I never seem to get to trimming the trees in the woods to stretch out my range. I do not want the gun too heavy so that I never take it hunting but would like to be able to shoot nice groups at distance. Any input is appreciated. I’m currently shooting a tc icon 243 that shoots 70 grain pills into clover leafs. I also have my 223 AR that shoots nice groups also. So my main use for hunting would be deer sized game.

Originally Posted By: bigtommyI am also looking at Boyd’s stocks.

Boyd's aren't a bad choice and done right they can be a good cost effective option. Considering what you said was your intended goal with this build I'd look at Boyd's Pro Varmint stock and I'd order it with their adjustable comb.

If you do end up getting a Boyd's stock I highly recommend having pillars put in it and also have the action fully stress free bed. Those two things in a Boyd's laminated stock and you'll have yourself a pretty rock solid setup for not a lot of money.

Originally Posted By: bigtommyOriginally Posted By: alf

That is very valid point. Main uses will be target and some hunting. My hope is to stretch it out to 800 yards but I’ve been saying that for a few years. I never seem to get to trimming the trees in the woods to stretch out my range. I do not want the gun too heavy so that I never take it hunting but would like to be able to shoot nice groups at distance. Any input is appreciated. I’m currently shooting a tc icon 243 that shoots 70 grain pills into clover leafs. I also have my 223 AR that shoots nice groups also. So my main use for hunting would be deer sized game.

You don't really need a lot of barrel length in a 6.5 Creed and shorter is stiffer so I'd look at something like the Bartlein 3B "Light Bull Sporter" or "Bull Sporter" finished at 22 inches. Finished at 22in. the light bull sporter will have a muzzle diameter around .750 and the bull sporter will be about .800 at the muzzle. If it's a dedicated bench/target rifle bigger is usually better but either of those contours is a good compromise for a hunting/target rifle.

I had Douglas rebarrel my Sako with a 5A contour barrel. Its about .750 at the muzzle. Plenty stiff and not overly heavy in a composite stock. Its also 24" long. If I did it over I would probably go a few inches shorter with the same contour.

Back