Hogs in the Heat

Gman757

I have had my fill of the heat but we are still running temps in the mid 90's here during the day and it's miserably hot at night also. In spite of that, I have hogs I have to kill for landowners so I get out and deal with the discomfort and sweat to shoot them when the opportunity presents itself.

I got a call a few days ago from the airport manager of a small grass strip about 10 minutes from my house and he told me some hogs had shown up and were rooting around the runway. I put a cell camera and a 50 lb bag of corn out 2 days ago and about 10:30 last night 5 hogs showed up on the camera.

I was just going to bed but I decided to go and busted it over to the field. It was a very short stalk into the shooting zone so I set up and took out 4 of the hogs and a curious coyote that showed up.

I put 3 down in the field and 1 more made it into the woods with a critical wound. I would have killed all 5 but I was using a brand new magazine that had a misaligned feed ramp I didn't catch and I got a jam after several rounds in my 6.8 SPC SBR.

Number 5 hog showed up on the cell camera later and if he shows up again tonight I will finish the job.

vuB8rMR.jpg

The squigglers seem to be very active right now so snake boots are mandatory.

d4wo4vA.jpg

Last edited:
Great work there Gman, it's still hot and dry here too. All the rainy season creeks are dry and farm ponds are really low. Hogs are staying hidden but I still manage to get a coyote occasionally.

Back