Anyone in Canada?

AdamT

Just wondering if anyone is located in Canada that might be able to help me out. I’m looking for a particular style Panther Martin spinner fishing lure that has been working really well in my local creeks and rivers. I picked up one recently off eBay in a package, seller was in Canada, and I have been having good luck with it so I’m trying to get some more. Trouble is, only place I see it listed is on the Canadian website for Panther Martin and they won’t let me place an order using a ship to address in the U.S.. Looking to see if someone might be willing order some up and ship them to me and allow me to pay you for the costs plus your time and efforts??

It’s the spotted red fly with a dressed treble hook. I’d take 1/8 and 1/4 oz.

https://panthermartin.ca/shop/teardrop-spinners/spotted-panthers-original/spotted-fly-red/

I’ll try the seller from eBay. The one I got from them was in a variety pack that was old stock and only included one of this style. The US store has the same color combo, but with a plain treble instead of dressed. My other option would be to learning to tie flies and getting the stuff to dress the treble hook myself or clipping off the stock hook and going back with a replacement dressed hook on a split ring.

have you tried contacting panther martin?

i will say this, tying on a treble would be trickier than a single hook for sure. aside from that - the pattern would be relatively easy to learn to tie. its just some red yarn for the "tail", yellow chenille for the body, heavy black thread or possibly black wire for the spiral rib, and some soft hackle up at the eyelet held in place by a simple thread collar.

you could easily replace your treble with a single hook and ive heard of folks doing this with great results and still fantastic hookups. its a way to C&R for trout, especailly with a barbless hook, while using spinners.

its basically a varient of this fly with a red yarn tail like a wooly worm has, and no wing.

it would be a simple to produce fly in a single hook format, and i'm sure any custom tier would be happy to knock them out by the dozen for you, very cheaply if you didnt want to take on the task of learning to make them yourself.

HTH

[edit] i will say this - dressing that hoook with it still attached to the spinner will be an absolute pain in the @$$. thats done prior to assembly of the spinner. so you'll be cutting the trebe off no matter if you wanna learn to dress that hook as a treble or a single. just something to consider.

Last edited:
Yes, I have contacted Panther Martin, they have yet to respond. I figured it would be difficult to tie up the small treble hook they come with, the shank is pretty short. I also figured it would be more difficult to do it while assembled. I’m not opposed to barbless hooks or even single hooks, we do have a few small creeks with trout in them. I just really prefer a dressed hook over bare. I may go to a couple of the local tackle shops and see if they’ll tie me some up or know of someone that ties trout flies that can do it. Probably wouldn’t be a big deal to add a hook back on with a split ring.

get on some of the larger fly tying groups on facebook, maybe Fly Tying with Uncle Cheech (27k members) or Stupid Simple Fly tying (39k members), i bet you can find someone on there willing to whip up enough single hook versions of that to keep you going for several seasons of fishing.

just give them a hook size and the rest is gravy. like you said, a small split ring and you're in business.

take a look at firehole outdoors if you're interested in a barbless option. i've used their hooks for several years now and they have some great shapes/styles available - and boy do those hooks stick in fish!

i originally tested them out for chinook in the fall and they held up amazingly. ive about switched over all my stuff to them, and they're reasonable (roughly $12 or so for 50 hooks). i would probably recommend their #316 or #317

https://fireholeoutdoors.com/firehole-sticks/

Back