Picked up a vintage jumbo scout knife.

Dultimatpredator

When I was on vacation in Florida a couple weeks ago I found a jumbo scout knife. Did a little bartering and ended up with it for five bucks. My parents bought me one in the late 70’s from the local boy scout office. It was stollen out of my tent on our first scout camp outing. Haven’t seen one of these for decades and when I saw it I felt like I’ve been wanting one ever since. Ran into this one and could not pass it up. It was a little rusty. It’s missing the sheeth and metal belt loop. Anyone know where I can get a replacement loop? I gave it a quick vinegar bath, rubbed it with a green dish scrubber, and then soaked it in oil. It turned out nice IMO. Brings back some good memories…accept for when it was stolen. I always thought this jumbo knife was the coolest when I was a kid.

Before cleaning once I got it freed up to open…

rey43AM.jpg

and after a 20 minute cleaning…

6GrPf1Y.jpg

xPyJyuL.jpg

ukxX9wv.jpg

Last edited:
I had one of those and remember the sheath you mentioned. I have no clue what happened to the one I had.
Had not thought of it in 50 years I guess.

I have a Cub Scout knife my parents bought me in the 70’s. I believe in 1977 because I had it the summer before I was was old enough to be a Cub Scout. I cut my finger to the bone whittling towards my finger while my mom was holding a brownies meeting. For some reason my mom never took me to get stitches. Still have the scar and the knife. I don’t think I still have any Boy Scout knives laying around. I earned my Eagle badge when I was 13 and stayed in scouts till I was 16. Honk I have 4 palms after my Eagle badge. Kinda lost interest after my Eagle badge but stayed in the troop since I lived in area with no kids my age. It also enabled me to see my friends at the weekly meetings and camp. Still fiends with a lot of them today.

Last edited:
Back