22-250, 204 or something else?

Ok…

So if a 22cal and a 20cal, had the same bullet type and BC, loaded at the same velocity, they’d drop and drift the same… That’s what you’re saying

Any caliber, any cartridge, doesn’t matter. Right?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Austin LaughlinI guess I see what you’re saying, to an extent. But I do know for an absolute fact, without a doubt, that my 204 drifts less than my 223 AI, and my 220 Swift, at 400.

Part of the problem with your argument is you can't make broad sweeping claims like the above without giving specifics.

In an earlier post you said "I'm science and I'm reality" well the physics of your claim/s are only supported when you are comparing apples and oranges. I used your .20 cal 40gr 4000fps VS .22 Cal 80gr 3500fps example and the physics doesn't support your claim, actually, it wasn't even close and beyond 400 yards the 3500fps 80gr left the 4000 40gr in the dust.

Also, maybe it's just how I'm reading some of these posts but drop and drift are two entirely different things.

My uncles first load he made up for that 20BR, was a 39gr Sierra. 43 or 4400fps.

It drifted less that 5” at 500 yards.

You’re saying an 80gr at 3500, does less.

And I’m telling you without a doubt, that’s not the case. At all. I’ve seen it. So have tons of others. It’s like “how in the heck does it do that”. But it does it.

I feel like I’m talking to a wall.

What I’m saying is this..

If he takes his 20BR and holds dead center of a target with a 5-10pm cross wind at 400. You take a 80gr at 3500 and do the same, and you’ll see that I’m right lol

Y’all can have your opinions. That’s great. I’m not saying at all that it’s “dumb” or any of that. Whatsoever. I’ll agree to disagree because this is going nowhere lol

You better get a hold of JBM and tell 'em they're FOS....

39 Sierra @ 4300
Range Drop Windage Velocity

500 - -24.2 -20.9 -2431
600 - -42.2 -31.7 -2139
700 - -67.8 -45.9 -1867
800 - -103.5 -64.0 -1620
900 - -152.6 -86.7 -1403
1000- -219.3 -114.8 -1224

80 Sierra @ 3500
500 - -32.1 -15.2 -2436
600 - -52.9 -22.6 -2251
700 - -80.5 -32.0 -2075
800 - -116.3 -43.4 -1906
900 - -161.6 -57.3 -1747
1000- -218.3 -73.8 -1598

Some of what you're seeing could be a case of not enough twist, say in the instance of an 80 gr .224 (didn't mention what bullet or what it's bc is, which is important), if it starts to lose stabilization at longer ranges. A barely stabilized bullet will get picked apart by wind, just like a quarterback not throwing tight spirals will have a tougher time in the wind than one that does. I didn't run the numbers on this last comparison so I don't know how it should turn out.

I don't know how to explain what you're seeing out there, because my experience, and anything I've ever read about (up till today lol) is exactly opposite. Thus the reason long sleek bullets and faster twists are all the rage, so people can get predictable results at extended range.

At any rate, agreeing to disagree is probably the best outcome here, talking to a wall is a good analogy.

Are you in the southern hemisphere by any chance? I heard things spin backwards down there lol
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Austin LaughlinMy uncles first load he made up for that 20BR, was a 39gr Sierra. 43 or 4400fps.

It drifted less that 5” at 500 yards.

You’re saying an 80gr at 3500, does less.

And I’m telling you without a doubt, that’s not the case. At all. I’ve seen it. So have tons of others. It’s like “how in the heck does it do that”. But it does it.

I feel like I’m talking to a wall.

What I’m saying is this..

If he takes his 20BR and holds dead center of a target with a 5-10pm cross wind at 400. You take a 80gr at 3500 and do the same, and you’ll see that I’m right lol

Y’all can have your opinions. That’s great. I’m not saying at all that it’s “dumb” or any of that. Whatsoever. I’ll agree to disagree because this is going nowhere lol
Again, are you talking about bullet drop or bullet drift because they are entirely two different things.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful but your claims are ridiculous without specifics to support them and I'm still not sure if you're talking about drift as in left to right or drop as in up or down.

If you're talking about wind drift and your uncles 4300fps 39gr BK only drifting 5 inches at 500 yards we need to know wind speed and its angle because even in a half value 5 mph wind, which by the way isn't much and one not often found in PD fields, DRIFT is going to be over 7 inches with that 39gr BK and with a 3500fps 80gr ELDM in identical conditions DRIFT is only 5 inches.

Last edited:
The biggest variable is going to be hold/point of aim. Even the slightest difference in hold or POA on a PD at 500 yards can screw the end result significantly.

At least we have a lively thread on here for once, even if we did hijack the op's thread to do it.

Sorry op!

Originally Posted By: 204 ARAt least we have a lively thread on here for once, even if we did hijack the op's thread to do it.
It's all his fault anyway....ha ha....

He never did say what it's use would be for, so we're left to our own imagination.

It's like asking "I wanna buy a truck, what should I get?"

Originally Posted By: pyscodogHe hasn't been back since his first couple of posts....so carry on. This is more interesting anyway.

You are welcome !
grin.gif

Slick...
No need for that I'm pretty sure what side of the wall is right.

Funny idea though.
lol.gif

Btw, My hunting partner killed a coyote this morning with that #4 buck I bought from you ! I was tracking he was shooting.

Originally Posted By: Tim Neitzke

Btw, My hunting partner killed a coyote this morning with that #4 buck I bought from you ! I was tracking he was shooting.

tell partner i said good job.
smile.gif

Back