Shotgun load question

pyscodog

Longer barrels on rifles usually produce higher velocities than short barrels, usually. Does this hold true with shotgun loads???

Thanks, I was told that today as well. I did get to chronograph my skeet loads and they were right where I was hoping they would be. I was shooting a book load and it was right on the money.

The barrel length won't make nearly as much difference on the speed of shotgun pellets as the size, weight or density of the shotgun pellets make.

Shot from a shotgun slows down very fast compared to rifle bullets.

For breaking skeet targets 1100 fps to 1200 fps is all that is needed.

From KPY Shotshell Ballistics

1350 fps lead #9 shot at 40 yards away is down to 570 fps and has .54 energy and gets .75" of gel penetration at 40 yards away.

1180 fps lead #7-1/2 shot at 40 yards away is down to 593 fps and has .97 energy and gets 1.08" of gel penetration at 40 yards away.

Even though the lead #9 shot starts out 170 fps faster than the lead #7-1/2 shot it is going 23 fps slower at 40 yards away.

At 40 yards away the 1350 fps lead #9 shot has lost 57.77% of it's starting speed.
At 40 yards away the 1180 fps lead #7-1/2 shot has lost 49.74% of it's starting speed.

I shoot 7/8 oz loads of #7 1/2 shot with 16.2 grains of 700-X. Average velocity was 1220. Should be fine for clay birds on a skeet field.

In the 12ga I use 19gr Green Dot, 1-1/8oz load at 1145fps for clays

20ga I use 16.5gr Herco, 7/8oz load at 1200fps for clays

For my bird hunting in the 12ga I use the same load, in the 20ga I use the same Herco powder charge for a 1oz load at 1165fps.

WAY back when Joe was sending me money I ordered a shot mold. I got it Monday. I normally use lead F .22 caliber shot for my 3" coyote shotshell loads.
But since I could get any size I wanted I got lead TT .21 caliber shot mold. I can get two more pellets in my shell and practically the same ballistics.
The lead I'm using comes out at 14gr per shot.
At 1300 fps It should pernitrate 3" of gel at 70 yards ish.

Lead-tt-shot-first-cast.jpg

lead-tt-shot-after-trimming.jpg

Dang labor-intensive, the mold has 4 cavities 3 pellets each on both sides so 24 pellets each pour.
Each shell holds 46 pellets you can see that's a lot of casting. The trimming uses 2 times more lead than the shot.
But what the heck I have shot now. I made 5 pounds of Lead TT shot today. The lead is old 45 caliber bullets picked up at an indoor range, for whatever that makes them.
I water quenched them as I cast.
I'll run them in a tumbler with graphite powder for a wail till they're nice and round.
34 to 36 gr of steel powder and a roll crimp or fold I'll see what fits the best.
NOW If I can find a coyote...

That TT lead shot should make some good coyote loads.

With KPY Shotshell Ballistics they use 20% gel. I am pretty sure the FBI uses 10% gel. So the gel KPY uses is tougher to penetrate.

They Recommend 2.50" of gel penetration to reliably knockdown and kill big geese. I want 3.70" of gel penetration to knockdown and kill our little 20 to 35 pound coyotes.

1300 fps lead BB shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 46.1 yards with about 77 pellets in 1-1/2 oz of shot.
1300 fps lead TT shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 76.3 yards with about 48.5 pellets in 1-1/2 oz of shot.

A 1-1/2 oz load of lead TT shot will have about 7 more pellets than a 3" 1-7/8 oz load of number 4 buckshot and won't kick nearly as hard as the 3" heavier buckshot load.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobThat TT lead shot should make some good coyote loads.

With KPY Shotshell Ballistics they use 20% gel. I am pretty sure the FBI uses 10% gel. So the gel KPY uses is tougher to penetrate.

They Recommend 2.50" of gel penetration to reliably knockdown and kill big geese. I want 3.70" of gel penetration to knockdown and kill our little 20 to 35 pound coyotes.

1300 fps lead BB shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 46.1 yards with about 77 pellets in 1-1/2 oz of shot.
1300 fps lead TT shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 76.3 yards with about 48.5 pellets in 1-1/2 oz of shot.

A 1-1/2 oz load of lead TT shot will have about 7 more pellets than a 3" 1-7/8 oz load of number 4 buckshot and won't kick nearly as hard as the 3" heavier buckshot load.

#4 buck is too big In my mind.
My other loads where lead "F" 22 caliber.

OK!
I loaded 5 #TT 47 Pellets.
They load well I think I could get two more in a shell with the roll crimp.
I went out today and shot them.
65 yards to the foot laser ranged.
Shoot count, shoot count.
I'm using an extended ported .670 choke on my M3500 30" Stoeger.

A 3'x3' target with an X in the center to aim at with the red dot. The pattern looks fairly even throughout and very centered.

5 shots 27 hit average, 53%.

On a side note, I loaded some BB 1 1/4 load about the same speed and only hit the target 20 pellets out of a LOT more?

I would hope when I tumble the TT's they will get a smidgen rounder. When I snip them off the mold tang there is a little flat spot, may increase the hit % ???

In the ten-inch ring in the center, there were at least 7 hits, one with the BB.

In my mind that is a dead coyote or at least stopped for a second dose of TTs.
I'm going to try .5 gr more powder and 48 pellets on the next set.

It's hard to say if the recoil is worth the change but with the dead mule in the Stoeger, it was not bad as is. The 870 may be a different animal it kicks with bird loads.

Back