When You Think You Can't Miss

DoubleUp

I watched this coyote for several minutes last night as she crossed the field at about 450 yds. Eventually she turned and came back my way. Should have been one of the easier shots I've made this year. Crosshairs looked pretty steady, but apparently the shot went just over her back.

The suppressor probably confused her since she just ran a little ways and then turned to look at where the crack of the bullet had been. I didn't have much room to work since she was getting awfully close to going behind my shop. I held a little low to compensate and hit her a little low. She required another round to put her down permanently. It was not the clean DRT I always hope for, but I managed to recover and make the kill. She was shot up pretty badly.

IMG_0638 by Double Up, on Flickr

Video:

The first shot / crosshair looked good in the video. A check of zero hopefully will shed light on it.

Nice colored coyote, similar to some I have been getting here.

Just a follow up for those who might be interested. Somehow my profiles had gotten switched and I was shooting on a profile that made the POI about 2 inches higher than normal. With the mid-range trajectory already being somewhat higher at that 150-180 range apparently it was just enough to shoot over her back.

Back