.223 not cutting it for coyotes

hmmmm, i have killed many coyotes with a 220 swift and its lil brother the 22-250. i never had either one "pink mist" or "blow up" a coyote. at least not what i or the guys i hang with consider pink mist or blow up.

but a prairie dog, rock chuck or jack rabbit, yeah baby.
smile.gif

Just to add a little to my previous comment, within the last 24 hours or so, a popular youtuber that I watch posted a video where he was hunting deer in Mexico. I forget the exact range at which he took the shot but it was a good distance and off of a fairly stable tri-pod for a rest. He missed the shot.

I won't mention his channel name because I don't wan't this to be construed as an advertisement for him, but he is an US Army sniper veteran. He knows how to make a shot, especially when it counts. But even the "best of the best" miss occasionally and have nobody but themselves to blame. For the rest of us "average joes", we might miss more than occasionally, especially without putting the proper time in at the range, practicing all shooting stances.

For him, it wasn't about the rifle or caliber choice, he simply messed up and pulled off a bad shot.

Out of 150 coyotes taken in the last 2 years with 55 grain V-Max reloaded by a veteran who runs a commercial reloading and gun shop hear in eastern Iowa (FarrosLeadFarm.com ; check him out, great prices on ammo, firearms, etc.). I've had 3 unrecovered coyotes. They made it to deep heavy cover where I lost them. Only took a few second shots to finish the job on a few. Estimate 30 to 40% are dead and just don't know it. Run 30 to 100 yds. being lung to heart shot and then drop. I've been hunting exclusively at night now.

55gr. UMC SP is a slow expanding projectile. In a coyote, it may not be expanding much, if at all. This is a projectile selection issue, not a cartridge selection issue.

I agree with the others on shot placement. A 223 takes better shot placement to anchor a coyote than say a 70 or 75 grain Ballistic Tip or V max from a 243. It does the job well though with a good shot.

For practice I like shooting the polymer ball targets that roll when hit. I use two of them and shoot one then the other, switch back and forth. Doing that from my sticks makes me set the sticks and find the ball in the scope every shot. It's darn good practice. When doing it don't only shoot angles that are comfortable, shoot ones that aren't too. I find that shooting to my right as a right handed shooter is tough so I practice it more than most. I set up on coyotes for a shot in front of me or to my left so I don't have to make the tough shots as often.

The difference between a 16" and 20" barrel for me was about 200fps with the same brand 55gr V max ammo in a couple of different AR's. The 16" barrel shot it 2750fps, the 20" 2964fps. It's not a perfect comparison since it was two different barrels.

The 20" barrel shot the 53gr Hornady Superformance ammo 3286fps but the rifle didn't like it. I am shooting it from my Savage Hog Hunter bolt gun and it shoots great from it.

I have never had a problem killing a coyote with 223, using 52 gr Serria hollow points and 53 gr Hornandy match bullets, don't matter what you shoot them with if you hit them in the leg or just break a shoulder, I have killed several at 400 yards no problem

I have 6mm ackely improved necked down to .224, shooting 55 gr bullets close 4000fps and it is no more deadly than the 223, just got to make a good shot on them

But hunting I have found the white box Winchester 45gr @ 3600FPS is a good hunting round.

Hold the Fort I just found some white box Winchester 40grain poly tipped @ 3700FPS at MidwayUSA.

Then again shot placement is the whole story.

Last edited:
Every coyote I’ve shot with a 223 has been bang flops except for one due to poor shot placement. I hit it high across the back. Never did recover it. I saw it the next day in the same area limping with a moon shape chunk missing out it.

My load 60 grain vmax with 25 grains of benchmark. Runs 2850 FPS out of my 14.5” POF and about another 125 FPS faster out of my 20” LTR.

Extremely poor shot placement is your problem as everyone who read the post can clearly see and have told you. Any plastic tipped bullet is your friend with this caliber. Aim for the shoulder on standing coyotes and they won’t go anywhere. If you can’t stop them to stop for standing still shot then don’t shoot. You’ll harvest less dogs but at least your DRT count will rise. I’d tell you practice, practice, practice...or leave the rifle at home and pick up a shotgun along with some lead BB shot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pantera .223 will grenade a yote but offers no knockdown power.

This doesn't make sense to me. It'll blow them up but not make them fall down?

Here's a couple of quick videos of coyotes shot with an Stag AR-15 with 16" barrel. Load was 50 gr. V-max at about 3,100 fps. Range 100 yds.

Here is another one, same rifle same load.

It's not the caliber that is the problem. Put good ammo where it is supposed to go, and you will get good results.

We killed a house full of coyotes with this load, very fur friendly:

55g Winchester sp
26.5g of Win 748
3100 fps out of a 24" barrel

Dogs flop

This guy is just looking for a reason to buy a new rifle.

After the .308 he will tell his wife that he nicked the Coyote's paw and it still ran off.

Then he can say "honey, the .308 is no good for these Californian Coyotes"

I need a 50 BMG for close range and a .338 Lapua Mag for the ones that are a little farther.

Wifey says "you don't want to hurt the Coyote" Go ahead!

Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorEvery coyote I’ve shot with a 223 has been bang flops except for one due to poor shot placement. I hit it high across the back. Never did recover it. I saw it the next day in the same area limping with a moon shape chunk missing out it.

My load 60 grain vmax with 25 grains of benchmark. Runs 2850 FPS out of my 14.5” POF and about another 125 FPS faster out of my 20” LTR.

Extremely poor shot placement is your problem as everyone who read the post can clearly see and have told you. Any plastic tipped bullet is your friend with this caliber. Aim for the shoulder on standing coyotes and they won’t go anywhere. If you can’t them to stop then don’t shoot. You’ll harvest less dogs but at least your DRT count will rise. I’d tell you practice, practice, practice...or leave the rifle at home and pick up a shotgun along with some lead BB shot.

This ^^^^^

Quote:Originally Posted By: Pantera
.223 will grenade a yote but offers no knockdown power.

This doesn't make sense to me. It'll blow them up but not make them fall down?

Kills them dead but doesn't knock them off their feet.

Quote:It's not the caliber that is the problem. Put good ammo where it is supposed to go, and you will get good results.

ETA: Ummmm, after thinkin' about it, you're absolutely right; the 223 is no good for coyotes. Maybe you should check out
REAL COYOTE RIFLE, for those really big un's and a lot more. (shameful plug
blushing.gif
)

Regards,
hm

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DoubleUpHere's a couple of quick videos of coyotes shot with an Stag AR-15 with 16" barrel. Load was 50 gr. V-max at about 3,100 fps. Range 100 yds.

It's not the caliber that is the problem. Put good ammo where it is supposed to go, and you will get good results.

That’s awesome! Gotta use my photon XT one of these days! Bought it and never used it.

Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorOriginally Posted By: DoubleUpHere's a couple of quick videos of coyotes shot with an Stag AR-15 with 16" barrel. Load was 50 gr. V-max at about 3,100 fps. Range 100 yds.

That’s awesome! Gotta use my photon XT one of these days! Bought it and never used it.

what are you shooting those out of a heated deer stand with a concrete shooting bench in it. yeah if I have that much time to make a shoot, a 22 LR would probably get the job done.

no one thinks if things go perfect with the shot a 223 can't work. The problem is most hunters don't make perfect hits everytime. When you have shot 100's of coyotes with 22-250's or 243's and been there when others have done it. Then you see yourself and others needing more and more finishing shots with 223's the only conclusion is it aint nuff gun sometimes.

Originally Posted By: steve garrettOriginally Posted By: DultimatpredatorOriginally Posted By: DoubleUpHere's a couple of quick videos of coyotes shot with an Stag AR-15 with 16" barrel. Load was 50 gr. V-max at about 3,100 fps. Range 100 yds.

what are you shooting those out of a heated deer stand with a concrete shooting bench in it. yeah if I have that much time to make a shoot, a 22 LR would probably get the job done.

no one thinks if things go perfect with the shot a 223 can't work. The problem is most hunters don't make perfect hits everytime. When you have shot 100's of coyotes with 22-250's or 243's and been there when others have done it. Then you see yourself and others needing more and more finishing shots with 223's the only conclusion is it aint nuff gun sometimes.

Actually I have shot hundreds with everything from a 17 Rem to 308 Win. My favorite caliber is the 243 with either a 55 gr. Nosler or 58 V-max, but for most of my night calling I use an AR in 6x45 with the 55 gr. Nosler BT, but right now I am shooting an AR in 223 with 50 gr. V-max for calling. I get tired of shooting the same thing all the time.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanIf you want to see a coyote get blown up, shoot a sierra 55g lead tip blitz with a hot load of benchmark, N135, 3350+.
I have thermal video of this. Looks like a Rage commercial where the blood flies on impact.

Last edited:
Back