squirrel artillery

This is my first squirrel hunt of the year and with a new gun for me. The gun is a Remington model 34, which was made back in the early 1930's. The bolt action no longer has its'ejector. The bolt retains thpe empty shell until I pick it off with my fingers. The guns bluing is worn thin from years of use. The stock is good for the guns age but has a few spots of white paint.
I rescued the old girl from my local pawn shop. The model 34really likes CCI CB Shorts. I was surprised that the iron sights were so easy for my old eyes to see. I have lots of guns, many of which would probably take more squirrels or atleast squirrels at a longer distance. However, this gun is a real time machine, it takes me back to when I was kid on the family farm. I entered the woods feeling as excited as a kid on his first hunt. The only squirrel that I found disappeared while I was slipping up on it and I scared off two deer.
So, no squirrel in the bag, no shots fired yet one of the best hunts in years. The old gun helped me recapture some of the youthful excitement that seemed to slip away over the years.

Last edited:
Thanks GC. I love old guns that show that they have had serious use. I don't mean abuse, rusty finger prints on the metal or cracked stocks. What I try to find are guns that look like they were well cared for but used by someone who had it in the field every chance they had. I call the worn bluing and scratched stocks as being honest wear. A gun with honest wear has many stories to tell and I am a good listener. I often sit in the woods and wonder how anyone could have parted with a gun who must of been such a good friend.

I appreciate the same type of firearm. Those guns worn nearly silver from honest use in the field are ones I'm attracted to also. I told my son that I will never leave him a pristine NIB anything. Everything I have gets used, cared for but well used. That equates to memories...

Originally Posted By: Stub2This is my first squirrel hunt of the year and with a new gun for me. The gun is a Remington model 34, which was made back in the early 1930's. The bolt action no longer has its'ejector. The bolt retains thpe empty shell until I pick it off with my fingers. The guns bluing is worn thin from years of use. The stock is good for the guns age but has a few spots of white paint.
I rescued the old girl from my local pawn shop. The model 34really likes CCI CB Shorts. I was surprised that the iron sights were so easy for my old eyes to see. I have lots of guns, many of which would probably take more squirrels or atleast squirrels at a longer distance. However, this gun is a real time machine, it takes me back to when I was kid on the family farm. I entered the woods feeling as excited as a kid on his first hunt. The only squirrel that I found disappeared while I was slipping up on it and I scared off two deer.
So, no squirrel in the bag, no shots fired yet one of the best hunts in years. The old gun helped me recapture some of the youthful excitement that seemed to slip away over the years.

Really miss my 34. My grandma bought it for me when I was 11. My first gun. Accurate as all get out. I used to shoot dimes with it. Well our house burned down when I was 16 we lost everything. I have been looking for one for ever. When I find one I don't have the money. They are fine rifles

Marlin 25N .22lr with a 4x32. It will shoot quarter groups at 75 yards all day long with cci stingers, which is about the farthest shot I like to take on a squirrel. I could push it to 100 and hit the head most times, but if you miss and hit body it won't be a clean kill and I don't like that. Most squirrel shots are 50-75yd here.

14kgnxu.jpg

RWS MODEL 48 .22,BEEMAN R-9 .22, BEEMAN R-9 .20,BSA LIGHTNING XL .22,RWS MOD 54 .177 plus 10-12 other air rifles.. been hunting with air rifles for the last 25 yrs or so, killed a ton of squirrels with them.

Have lots of good .22's-52 Winchesters,Anschutz,several custom 10/22's,CZ's etc,but haven't killed a squirrel in 3 years with one.Been using a .25 Marauder-quiet,safe and easily shoots 1/2"at 50 yards.

Back