Came across a wounded deer while coyote hunting.

Originally Posted By: wildcats137This summer I ran a fawn < 8 lbs through my swather header. It was laying in knee high alfalfa and I didn't have a chance at seeing it. It survived. It's front two hooves had been cut off, had intestines hanging out of a gash in its belly, and had a puncture in it's chest the size of a quarter. I grabbed my swather gun, ran out and put it down. And then I shut up about it. And I'd do it again if I KNEW I would be charged over it. Then I'd wait for my day in court and plead my case.

Anyone, warden, judge, ANYONE, who would charge you in such a case needs a very sound beating. To NOT put a mortally wounded animal out of its misery is criminal in itself. To condemn someone for doing so, while perhaps in keeping with the "law" is immorally stupid.

Originally Posted By: wildcats137This summer I ran a fawn < 8 lbs through my swather header. It was laying in knee high alfalfa and I didn't have a chance at seeing it. It survived. It's front two hooves had been cut off, had intestines hanging out of a gash in its belly, and had a puncture in it's chest the size of a quarter. I grabbed my swather gun, ran out and put it down. And then I shut up about it. And I'd do it again if I KNEW I would be charged over it. Then I'd wait for my day in court and plead my case.

Sounds about right to me...

Quote:there is a time to do what is right and just keep quite about it. Yup, situational ethics. I have had several talks with different game wardens about the issue of killing big game animals to put them out of their misery. Shoot, shut up, and drive off is not a very bright idea. That type of behavior wastes a lot of resources when the animal is found and reported. Worse yet, if you are seen shooting a big game critter and drive off, the ensuing poop storm can be a PITA.

For all the game warden knows (based on the report) is you may have just committed a drive by thrill shooting. Happens a lot in Wyoming. By all appearances you may be thought to be guilty of taking an animal out of season and wanton waste. All of that can be avoided by one phone call.

I won't condemn anyone for dispatching a crippled critter. I have done it more than once. But I always got permission first, or reported it after. Avoids a ton of hassles.

Back