Night hunting coyotes in SC - Need help with regs

hitpure

I am interested in night hunting coyotes on my private rural property in SC.

Looking at the SC DNR regulations, I find the following paragraph (underlines added by me)..

"Coyotes and armadillos may be hunted at night with or without the aid of bait, electronic calls, artificial lights, or night vision devices using a bow and arrow other than a crossbow, a rimfire rifle, a shotgun with shot size no larger than a BB, or a pistol of any caliber having iron sights, a barrel length not exceeding nine inches. The pistol may not be equipped with a butt-stock, scope, or laser sight."

At first glance, this paragraph would suggest I could hunt Coyotes at night with my 17 HMR varmint rifle (and my yet-to-be-purchased thermal riflescope), without any restrictions as to dates or notifications of SCDNR.

Further in the same section of regulations, I find the following paragraph...

"From the last day of February to July 1, upon notification to SCDNR (www.dnr. sc.gov/nighthunt) at least 48 hours in advance, coyotes may be hunted at night with artificial lights and night vision devices using any legal firearm, bow, or crossbow. Notice to the SCDNR is required once per season for each property and the names and hunting license numbers of each person participating in the hunt must be listed. Hunters using centerfire rifles during this time must be at an elevated position at least 10 feet from the ground."

My interpretation of that paragraph is that when you move up to centerfire rifles, you run into the date restrictions and notification requirements.

Anyone know if I am correct about that? I would hate to have to wait until next March before shooting those [beeep] 'yotes (at night) with my Ruger 77/17.

Hitpure

Originally Posted By: hitpureI am interested in night hunting coyotes on my private rural property in SC.

Looking at the SC DNR regulations, I find the following paragraph (underlines added by me)..

"Coyotes and armadillos may be hunted at night with or without the aid of bait, electronic calls, artificial lights, or night vision devices using a bow and arrow other than a crossbow, a rimfire rifle, a shotgun with shot size no larger than a BB, or a pistol of any caliber having iron sights, a barrel length not exceeding nine inches. The pistol may not be equipped with a butt-stock, scope, or laser sight."

At first glance, this paragraph would suggest I could hunt Coyotes at night with my 17 HMR varmint rifle (and my yet-to-be-purchased thermal riflescope), without any restrictions as to dates or notifications of SCDNR.

Further in the same section of regulations, I find the following paragraph...

"From the last day of February to July 1, upon notification to SCDNR (www.dnr. sc.gov/nighthunt) at least 48 hours in advance, coyotes may be hunted at night with artificial lights and night vision devices using any legal firearm, bow, or crossbow. Notice to the SCDNR is required once per season for each property and the names and hunting license numbers of each person participating in the hunt must be listed. Hunters using centerfire rifles during this time must be at an elevated position at least 10 feet from the ground."

My interpretation of that paragraph is that when you move up to centerfire rifles, you run into the date restrictions and notification requirements.

Anyone know if I am correct about that? I would hate to have to wait until next March before shooting those [beeep] 'yotes (at night) with my Ruger 77/17.

Hitpure

Obviously, you should call them and confirm any confusion that you may have. Better to be safe than try to reason with a warden if you're caught illegal.

BUT, the way I read the RED part is that you are good to go EXCEPT if you choose to use a light or thermal device. They are allowing those devices during the posted date range if you call them and give them notice. I can only discern that this is to let them know that you aren't intentionally poaching big game and they won't get all fidgety if they come across you.

And if you DO call, be certain to get a NAME and BADGE NUMBER of the person you talk to. Write it down and put it in your pack. That's your proof that you complied with their instructions.

Last edited:
Back