crossbows in Missouri?

Irish_80

Why are crossbows not allowed during archery deer season? My thinking is as ethical hunters the most efficient form of taking the animal should be available for our use.

Crossbows just have to much of an advantage over a regular
bow. More like shooting a rifle then a bow.
But I agree with you.

I am not familiar with the state of Missouri to know why crossbows are not allowed. Here is why crossbows are not allowed in an archery only season from a wildlife management perspective.

The most efficient method of taking an animal is also the method with the highest hunter success. Hunting with centerfire firearms has the highest hunter success and the lowest amount of wounding loss. Archery hunting has the lowest hunter success with the highest amount of wounding loss. Hunting with crossbows and muzzleloaders ranks somewhere in between.

There are only so many animals available to remove each year to keep the population stable. A state wildlife agency tries to balance offering permits between the different weapon types based on demand by the hunters.

If crossbows were allowed in an archery only season, hunter success would increase and more animals would be killed with the same number of hunters in the field. Hunter success would increase more than wounding loss occurs by archers. The more animals that are removed by archers, the less animals that are available for the other weapon types.

A season structure could be implemented to allow crossbows during an archery only hunt, but somebody is not going to be happy. The tradeoff is fewer permits would need to be allocated to other weapon types. Fewer people would be able to get a permit to go hunting.

Hope this helps to explain why.

Good luck and good hunting!

Last edited:
I expect crossbows will be legal soon enough. Heck in Missouri you can kill deer in just about any fashion you want. Shoot 'em with any centerfire rifle, handgun, shotgun slug, stick 'em with an arrow shot from a bow, chuck a spear at 'em, knife 'em, beat 'em in the head with a rock, strangle 'em with yer bare hands, run over 'em with the truck as long as you don't run down a farmers fence... don't much matter as long as you slap a tag on 'em.

Pardon the Ozark humor, some of that is even true. On a serious note, I hear that there is a big push for the crossbow and it is very likely to be authorized soon.

I completely understand this but my biggest argument is the fact that you can harvest as many doe as you want during rifle season. If they were worried about too many animals being taken they would limit that number considerably. I also understand that "traditional" archery hunting takes much more skill than using a crossbow and a lot of hunters don't believe this is fair. the same feelings were probably expressed when compound bows started showing up in the field. GC is not too far off with his humor.

Originally Posted By: FursniperI am not familiar with the state of Missouri to know why crossbows are not allowed. Here is why crossbows are not allowed in an archery only season from a wildlife management perspective.

The most efficient method of taking an animal is also the method with the highest hunter success. Hunting with centerfire firearms has the highest hunter success and the lowest amount of wounding loss. Archery hunting has the lowest hunter success with the highest amount of wounding loss. Hunting with crossbows and muzzleloaders ranks somewhere in between.

There are only so many animals available to remove each year to keep the population stable. A state wildlife agency tries to balance offering permits between the different weapon types based on demand by the hunters.

If crossbows were allowed in an archery only season, hunter success would increase and more animals would be killed with the same number of hunters in the field. Hunter success would increase more than wounding loss occurs by archers. The more animals that are removed by archers, the less animals that are available for the other weapon types.

A season structure could be implemented to allow crossbows during an archery only hunt, but somebody is not going to be happy. The tradeoff is fewer permits would need to be allocated to other weapon types. Fewer people would be able to get a permit to go hunting.

Hope this helps to explain why.

Good luck and good hunting!

I see your point, but now I want to hunt deer in Missouri!!
tt1.gif
I do not forsee why crossbows should not be allowed either since there is an abundance of deer. Thanks for posting this topic. Hopefully, somebody familiar with the history of it will chime in on the forum and provide some insights.

Crossbows are legal here in pa, have been for a while now... not many people use them compared to compounds and you still need to be just as close, sure its easier but I dont think its had any impact on the numbers of deer. Although we have so many deer its hard to tell. Funny we can use xbows but not semis for anything except shotguns.

I am not 100% sure on this, but I believe in 2012 crossbows were allowed in the primitive weapons season that was in Dec. which was our former muzzleloader season. It was expanded to include crossbows, atlatl, and there may have been another type of weapon. I checked in the codebook and the deer regs. are not in it, only in the deer reg. pamphlet.

With the Blue tongue die off that we had last summer from overpopulation you would think they would allow crossbows. I hunted one Sunday AM about three weeks ago and between daylight and 10:00 I saw 49 deer.

Last edited:
The old "muzzleloader" season is now called the Alternative Methods Season. Catchy, ain't it?
smile.gif

Crossbows can be used during archery season if you can't use a regular bow ( INJURY OR SOME TYPE OF MEDICAL REASON )you have to get a waiver signed by a doctor then take it to the area conservation office to get the paperwork, other than that they can be used during rifle season and the alternative season.. I do agree I think they will allow them during the regular season in the future...

Cam,limbs,string,trigger= bow. They should be allowed we aren't short on deer. And there is a lot of places around big cites that they would be really handy to use.

I have enough shoulder issues I may have to get the medical permit to use a crossbow, but it will be a last resort. A crossbow is a shoulder arm firing a single projectile when discharged. I see them as a rifle. I have no problem with them in firearms or "alternative" seasons but don't think they belong in the regular archery season.

MO has "allowed" crossbow hunters a longer season with the 'Alternative Methods' season in response to crossbow hunters pushing for a longer season than previously allowed (9 days during firearms season). I understand that allowing crossbows during much the longer traditional bow season (Sept 15 - Jan 15) would result in over harvesting. So, if they allow crossbows during traditional bow season, they'll probably have to shorten that season to manage the harvest. That would upset those of us who hunt with traditional bows, so don't expect that to happen anytime soon. Seems to me that the complaint was heard and an adjustment made, though not in the exact manner hoped for. I suggest you don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

I really think its a "push" when comparing a compound to a crossbow.. A regular compound allows for greater mobility and your able to get off that 2nd arrow a lot quicker... Other than not getting busted while drawi g a compound the crossbow isn't really much more of an advantage.. With the 70 % let offs on the compounds cams your not holding much weight at full draw.. It's also a lot easier to manuver that compound over a crossbow ..

I agree, many believe a crossbow is "like a rifle" far from it. You still gotta be able to get the range right due to the trajectory or youre gon a miss. They are too heavy and unwieldy for me. My hunting buddy has one and prefers the compound over it 99% of the time.

I have quite a few hunters that cycle through my farm throughout the Archery and firearm season... This topic comes up quite often and I always have deer stands and blinds set up in the yard at the cabin to practice shooting from.. I put the archery hunters up in the tree or in the blind with a compound then crossbow.. Until you place them in a hunting scenario and offer different scenarios and target placement they soon find out that the crossbow isn't as easy as they thought it would be... The idea that the are like using a firearm is soon vacated....

A historic note, if I may? When the King felt threatened by enemies from within, archery was discouraged and the crossbow was banned. When the King was threatened by enemies from outside his kingdom, practice at the butts was mandated, and crossbows were encouraged as weapons that could be fired by those less skilled. Thus were armies raised from among the people. Hence, our 2nd Amendment; that no domestic Government should ever feel it had tenure, and no foreign Nation should ever consider us an easy mark.
In my state (Oregon), rifle hunters think the crossbow is too much like the wounding archery to be allowed, and archers think it too much like the rifle to allow it during 'their' season. Without a constituency, it is illegal.

Back