High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them.....

I'm not sure that's true about hurting the population from trapping more cats. At least in Arizona. If you look at the trapping reports from years ago I think it was in the early 80's they were catching nearly 10,000 cats a year and the next years they caught just as many. It only went down when legholds were banned around 1994-1995. Last year only about 2,000 cats were trapped in Arizona if I remember correctly. Maybe 3,000. But either way it's a long ways from 10,000. There are more cats out there than we think.

Originally Posted By: dan brothersI shot a 30 lb bobcat in NE Texas, Nov 26th, which had alot of beautiful spots on the belly. Gave it to a guy to have it skinned and stored... but it didn't happen as plan, and he let it ruin. What a waste... wish I had that one to do all over again. Is it possible to get a rough idea as to how long a 30lb cat might be...?

A 30# cat will stretch over 42 inches.

Originally Posted By: JTMOriginally Posted By: ridgerunner2What would this cat bring?
2013-01-29165610-1.jpg

2013-01-29165622-1.jpg

You got absolutely hosed on this cat if you sold it for only 900.

I know guys personally that would have paid at least 1200 for that cat.

Moose

I you read the post I posted it never said this cat had been sold.

Best keep things in perspective here guys.
While Cat prices are indeed at an all-time high,, don't believe everything you hear on the interweb. Truth is, some folks hear about the one or two cats at a particular sale that go for 1000.00+ and pretty soon every Cat born is worth that much.

Here's a quote from a guy I trust on another web site where this topic is being discussed.

" Let it be said, for the sake of posterity, that not ALL western cats are in this very high price range. I had a veteran mentor put up all my fur this year and at the show in Globe, for our Az Desert cats, I averaged $298 for them. I was pleased."

Like he says, "not all western cats are created equal'.
Our season ended yesterday so I'll sell my goods next week. I've got four cats [ 32" 36" 40' 42" ]. All well put up prime cats but for some reason the belly's tend to run a little narrow here in No. central ID. I'll be happy if I average 500.00 (probably be closer to 400.00.

Good luck with those 1000.00 AZ cats.

Originally Posted By: ridgerunner2Originally Posted By: DesertGhostOriginally Posted By: ridgerunner2What would this cat bring?

without putting my hands on the cat and looking into several of the factors that drive the cat price, ie, clear - x-clear, select or not, the length, etc, I cant say for sure.

It looks pretty well put up. Has a pretty good belly on it. Id say its in the $400+ category. Most likely it could be closer to $600-700. but again, without seeing it in person I cant be sure. Who knows, it might be one of them cats that the buyers pile on and it goes over the $1k mark. Its really is a pretty good cat. Its too hard to judge from pictures on the quality of the fur, but like I said, looks pretty good.

If you want to send it down, let me know. Ill get you my information and we can get it sold for you.

It was a 42" tom and sold it for 900.00 I think your prices is way low.

Unless I read your post wrong RidgeRunner I think it sold for 900.

Needless to say the cat prices are great! As for the population of cats. I know here in Colorado they are doing good. Just a few more days left in the season here.

Great, now we are gonna start buying fur from pictures. You guys cant be serious. If the right buyer is at the Kingman sale, those eastern cats will bring more money than they think. Not western prices for sure, but they will be pleased. CO had a bunch of eastern cats, and CO will be getting more eastern cats next year because they sold well.

Okay so the sale went on as planned Saturday. I got the fur sent to me sold and then ran back to Phoenix Saturday night to head to the hospital so we could welcome our second son into the world. So for those who were looking for info about the sale, I hope my intermittent opportunity was informative. now with that said, some of the guys did VERY well with their fur, all respectively of course.

The top cat sold for $1500. The top lot with my name on it went for $900. then went down from there $550, $450, $375, etc. A couple Missouri cats sold for $110 each, which as I was told, was about $35 more than the seller would have got locally. He was more than pleased. A fellow Missourian's cats didnt fair so well. I wont go into those number here, but I relayed the reasonings behind it.

A Virginia cat sold for $200. Which as I was told, is almost double what their local top cat went for. Again, a VERY pleased seller.

The Az cats I sold up there had a $539 average. which if you were to take out a small, slight damaged cat that sold for $150, the average would have been $604. Not a bad average.

Some guys were very happy with the prices they received and others werent. There were a couple guys with a lot of fur that "no sale"ed their fur which really hurt the later lots as the buyers were getting irritated. Some of the cats were borderline flat / semi-hvy cats in the 35-36" range, should have sold for around $350, and were "NO SALE" when the bid was $500 each. I for the life of me, cannot understand this, but hey, they werent my furs!

Either way, I think we can all say that for a first year sale basically tossed together in a hurry, bringing in 498 cats that sold in the sale a pretty good success. and another almost 100 that were too late to get in the sale, but sold outside the sale all the same. There are plans already in the works to get next years sale set up and ready to roll once again. Hopefully the turn out will be better, and we have even more buyers, and a lot more fur!

to those of you who sent me fur, as soon as the buyer checks are cleared, I will get them out to you! thanks again for giving me the opportunity to help out and get that fur sold. maybe some of you can post up about your experiences.

thanks again,

DG

photo9_zpsb9c80e48.jpg

So mine is the one on the farthest right in this picture. Bonecollector was nice enough to take it to kingman for me. I got $550 for it. It was the first fur I have ever put on a board and I know I made some mistakes. It was right at 36" but I didn't pull the tail down, I stretched it to wide losing a inch or two and I didn't do the Nevada stretch so the legs look bad, all spread apart like that. And I didn't cut the bottom lip off. I am curious what you think I could have got for this cat had I done a better job?? Here are more pics of it. And I know its hard to tell from pics so I'm not gonna complain about what you think. Earlier in the thread I know it was about how you can't judge by pictures but go ahead and judge mine if you can.

Ever since I killed this cat I have been cat crazy and fur crazy. I am going to buy all the right tools and boards to put up all my fur next year. I have been letting them lay for years now and I'm kicking myself, thinking about how much money I just let go.

20130305_112356_zpsae468e39.jpg

20130305_112338_zps6daca75a.jpg

20130302_114915_zpsa422a209.jpg

Last edited:
The Nevada stretch wont really hurt or help you. It looks nice, but having the cat the proper width and pulling it as long as you possibly can is what is going to affect grade. The rest is up to the genetics of the cat. Unless you have a giant cat theres no reason to stretch it much more than 8" at the base on a 40" or larger cat. Understanding that bigger cats are going to be wider, just dont force it wider. Cats 36-40 should never be wider than 8". Under 36 I would go with 7 1/2" wide. I have never ever seen a buyer measure the width of a cat unless it was really outside the norm.

Stretching wider usually results in shorter skins, which can kill you on cats. There can easily be a several hundred dollar difference between the same cat at 35" vs 36"+

good advice phutch.
12 ring. don't beat yourself up over that cat. you did a fine job for the first one.
there is a lot of info out there about how to properly put up fur. you have 6 months to do some studying. take your time at first. speed will come in time.

12Ring, Here is the thing. You got GOOD money for a good cat. I wouldnt worry about what you could have got. The put up was just fine. The buyers could see what they needed to. There is always the "what could have been" and then there is the money in your pocket! I will take money in my pocket ANY day over "what could have been"

They arent worth a dime unless there is someone willing to buy them.

Originally Posted By: DesertGhost12Ring, Here is the thing. You got GOOD money for a good cat. I wouldnt worry about what you could have got. The put up was just fine. The buyers could see what they needed to. There is always the "what could have been" and then there is the money in your pocket! I will take money in my pocket ANY day over "what could have been"

They arent worth a dime unless there is someone willing to buy them. Got it. I'm happy with what I got. I was Just curious if my put up hurt me. Thanks.

I thought you might have been happy with it! ha ha ha ha like it was said, the put up was good, if the full nevada stretch would have been used, you MAYBE, and its a big MAYBE have got another $50. Heck, the top cat was stretched like a cross, front legs laid out flat to the side. . .. I think as longs as they can see everything, its all good.

Back