High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them.....

catcapper,

Id like your opinion on this cat
photobucket-61518-1360804058994_zpsc78c70c2.jpg

The cat dosen't look like a heavy western cat so with out knowing where it is from it would be really hard to give a price.

Last edited:
This picture was sent to me by a guy who is interested in getting it into the sale to see what he can get for it. Im not going to say where the cat was caught because he hasnt committed it to the sale yet. As for the put up, i dont know how many he puts up or if this is his first year. Im not goikg to critique his put up until i get my hands on it and can take pictures to show what he can do different. With that said, lets hear the opinion on the cat. See if someone can get close to it geographic location. Im curious how some think this cat would grade, and how much it should bring. Cause apparently im in need of some better estimating fur value skills. . . Not trying be rude or anything else, just trying to get better.

I'd say it came out of the central region, Kansas or Nebraska maybe. The belly is narrow and the transition is extreme (no blending). Put up will affect the price and it looks like he put it on a fox board. We call that a snake here in Idaho (long and skinny). Definitely needs to be cleaned and fluffed with Borax. As it sits right now, that cat would be lucky to bring $200, however there are things we can't see that also will affect the price. What does the back look like? How long is it? What's the fur density like, etc. Hard to judge any fur from a picture.

Originally Posted By: Mason_Jarrhowever there are things we can't see that also will affect the price. What does the back look like? How long is it? What's the fur density like, etc. Hard to judge any fur from a picture.

Yes, i completely agree with this statement. In the other picture the back fur looks okay as well, for being a picture. . .

All of the furs will get a minimum of 2 dry washes before they will go to the sale.

Originally Posted By: ridgerunner2The cat dosen't look like a heavy western cat so with out knowing where it is from it would be really hard to give a price.

and now I see why you got all upset when I gave you a conservative estimate on the picture that you posted. Cause you cant use a picture to get a really good estimate of value without anything but a picture. . . . progress, this is good.

however,I would like you to stop editing your previous posts (namely the one that is quoted here - now changed twice) about the cat picture and just add your new comments to the list so everyone can see them. It is kind of backwards and cheap to completely change your initial responses to something a little more middle of the road and patsy.

edited: for spelling

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ridgerunner2The thing is you knew where I was from as my location states wyoming.

just because you are from Wyoming, doesnt mean that cat in the pictures was in fact taken in Wyoming. there are pictures posted on the internet all the time that arent in the area that the person who posted them lives. there was no description attached to the picture as to the information about the cat. There was no way to tell where the cat came from.

Now back to the original topic at hand . . . .

If anyone else has any questions or would like to get their bobcat pelts into the sale, please let me know.

To me the cat doesnt look like the fur is that hvy and maybe its the pic, but it looks like he stretched it pretty narrow in an attempt to gain length. If I had to put a location, I would also go with central. The belly is really clear compared to most east/SE cats. Its well marked though.

Originally Posted By: bonecollector777Now that cat is for sure gonna bring some money. I'd say a thousand at least prob more just by the picture but don't get butt hurt if you think that's low.

Yes, that is indeed a great cat. $1k cat for sure. Heck that one might be one of them $1400 cats. . . . but its all up to the buyers .. . . .

Guy this week told me he had sold 3 cats that averaged $160, two of them among the best he had seen locally. This is South East Kansas so nothing like the fur at higher elevations.

Originally Posted By: ridgerunner2What would this cat bring?
2013-01-29165610-1.jpg

2013-01-29165622-1.jpg

You got absolutely hosed on this cat if you sold it for only 900.

I know guys personally that would have paid at least 1200 for that cat.

Last edited:
I shot a 30 lb bobcat in NE Texas, Nov 26th, which had alot of beautiful spots on the belly. Gave it to a guy to have it skinned and stored... but it didn't happen as plan, and he let it ruin. What a waste... wish I had that one to do all over again. Is it possible to get a rough idea as to how long a 30lb cat might be...?

Originally Posted By: Tactical .20lots of child support there!

lol yeah , or maybe pay some well overdue debts
that a person might have screwed someone over on .

Good news and bad news. Good news is that there have been some unreal prices paid for cats in the past few years. Bad news is that all the pressure put on the population because of those high prices has put a hurt on the cats in certain parts of the country. I had a good discussion with a warden in South Dakota in December and the cats tagged was one half as many as last year as of that date. I talked with a buddy of mine in that area last week and they are predicting a shortened season next year in consideration of the diminished numbers. This reminds me of coyotes in the late 70's when I was getting $80 for a coyote popcicle.

Back