High bobcat prices. Anyone who wants to take advantage of them.....

DesertGhost

Arizona Trappers Association sale was this weekend. I think the top bobcat was $1350 there were several that went well over $1K. Several guys averaged over $650 this year. A bunch of cats in the $700-800 range. One guy had a 31 inch cat sell for over $600 (single pelt).

The next sale in Arizona is the Kingman Fur Sale (bobcat pelts only sale). I will be taking several pelts of my own up there, along with pelts from guys all across the country. If you dont have the pelts put up yet, I can do that as well. I use the Nevada Style stretch to ensure the maximun amount of money for the effort. If anyone wants to get their bobcats into another HIGH dollar Arizona fur sale, let me know. Your pelts MUST have the CITES tag on them BEFORE you ship them! Even if they arent put up yet, your local Game & Fish, DNR, or DOW can put it on the raw pelt. It wont hurt anything during the put up process. This is another opportunity for guys to take advantage of the high prices again this year, dont miss out!

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

maybe some of the guys I have pelts from will chime in here.. ..

yeah, they are worth a pretty good dollar these days! I just got a couple more pelts headed this way from a guy in Kansas, and another in Virginia. . . lets hope the prices stay at this price or go higher!!!!

Originally Posted By: mmtx10I'll see ha there Airon. Won't have near as many cats as you but should be a good weekend.

Yup, Ill be there, going to be fun! It will be good to catch up in person again, and not just via text or phone calls! ha ha ha

What would this cat bring?
2013-01-29165610-1.jpg

2013-01-29165622-1.jpg

Originally Posted By: ridgerunner2What would this cat bring?

without putting my hands on the cat and looking into several of the factors that drive the cat price, ie, clear - x-clear, select or not, the length, etc, I cant say for sure.

It looks pretty well put up. Has a pretty good belly on it. Id say its in the $400+ category. Most likely it could be closer to $600-700. but again, without seeing it in person I cant be sure. Who knows, it might be one of them cats that the buyers pile on and it goes over the $1k mark. Its really is a pretty good cat. Its too hard to judge from pictures on the quality of the fur, but like I said, looks pretty good.

If you want to send it down, let me know. Ill get you my information and we can get it sold for you.

Originally Posted By: DesertGhostOriginally Posted By: ridgerunner2What would this cat bring?

without putting my hands on the cat and looking into several of the factors that drive the cat price, ie, clear - x-clear, select or not, the length, etc, I cant say for sure.

It looks pretty well put up. Has a pretty good belly on it. Id say its in the $400+ category. Most likely it could be closer to $600-700. but again, without seeing it in person I cant be sure. Who knows, it might be one of them cats that the buyers pile on and it goes over the $1k mark. Its really is a pretty good cat. Its too hard to judge from pictures on the quality of the fur, but like I said, looks pretty good.

If you want to send it down, let me know. Ill get you my information and we can get it sold for you.

It was a 42" tom and sold it for 900.00 I think your prices is way low.

He's not the one setting the prices. It was just a guess. If you already sold it why did you ask him how much he thought it would bring? He was trying to do you a favor and get it in a sale for you.

Looks like I need to start traveling a bit and getting out into bobcat country. Where my ranch is we just have lynx, but I can get into bobcat about 10 miles from here as there is a big change in elevation and habitat.

Good for you boys. Glad to see guys getting some decent money like the 'olden days'. Now if we could only see some upwards movement on beaver I'd be a happy man.

Ridgerunner2, you got ripped off. My 42" inch cat that had a worse belly than that got $1100. And my 36" cat with a worse belly got $900. Better find a new buyer. Oh. . I almost forgot. . stop being an idiot. No one can accurately tell you a price by looking at a bad quality picture. Keep your bobcats up in Wyoming and get less money for them. We don't care.

And desertghost, those guys from virginia and kansas realize their cats aren't going to get prices anywhere near our cats out here right? Just don't want them pissed off thinking you are ripping them off when they get $50 for their cats.

Originally Posted By: ridgerunner2Originally Posted By: DesertGhost

It was a 42" tom and sold it for 900.00 I think your prices is way low.

Well Im pretty sure it says right here that I cant tell for sure from a PICTURE! Then again, it didnt matter what I said, you already what information you wanted. but i think it was a fair estimate based on the fact that it was a picture and not the actual pelt.

Originally Posted By: bonecollector777Ridgerunner2, you got ripped off. My 42" inch cat that had a worse belly than that got $1100. And my 36" cat with a worse belly got $900. Better find a new buyer. Oh. . I almost forgot. . stop being an idiot. No one can accurately tell you a price by looking at a bad quality picture. Keep your bobcats up in Wyoming and get less money for them. We don't care.

And desertghost, those guys from virginia and kansas realize their cats aren't going to get prices anywhere near our cats out here right? Just don't want them pissed off thinking you are ripping them off when they get $50 for their cats.

Well, I guess im not the only one that thinks its pretty hard to judge based on a picture. I guess I asked for a little bashing considering IM JUST TRYING TO HELP SOME GUYS OUT BY GETTING THEIR FUR INTO A BOBCAT ONLY SALE! I guess thats some kind of crime or something to some people. . . sell your cats wherever you want, im just offering to help get pelts to a sale!

to answer the second part, yes the guys from back east know they arent going to be getting huge money on their fur. But the reason this all started was a buddy who lives in Virginia got a REALLY good cat, looks like a western cat, said he would only get $80-$100 for it. Its a 44" cat! and looks pretty good. So I told him to ship it out here and Ill get it into the sale and see how it does. Of course there are NO GUARANTEE in the price at sale. but its just another avenue for them to get the fur sold. simple as that.

bonecollector, did you sell up to the ATA sale? some of those prices were flat AWESOME!

Yeah I sold four cats there and got awesome prices. Averaged $750. My top cat went for $1100 and low cat went $575. Those prices were insane. I helped a buyer grade them and even he didn't expect the bidding to go that high. It was fun though and well worth it. Hoping my cats I take up to Kingman do just as well.

I wasn't trying to bash anyone, All I was doing was trying to find out what kinda of price range that cat was in. I have other cats I was going to send to the sale but after the bashing I have got I think I will stick with the buyer I'm selling too.

Give me a break Ridgerunner. Stop with the sob story like we're picking on you. You sound like a little kid. You're the one who posted a photo of a cat that you know is impossible to tell the value off of one picture and when a guy throws out a guess you get butt hurt. Keep your bobcats in Wyoming where you're getting such a great deal on everything you're selling. There will be hundreds of other cats at that sale and yours won't be missed by anyone.

By the way why would anyone want to send any cats to you guys to sell? Here is a reply I received from Desert Ghost:

There really isnt a commission. If you were to come down yourself and put fur in the sale, it costs you $20. thats it, whether you have 1 fur or 100, its $20. that goes to just cover the rental of the building.

I assume the fur is already put up and ready for sale. If you would like for me to take the fur up there to the sale for you, I can do that. Of course you would have to pay shipping to get to my house in Az. Im charging $10 to go towards my gas. that is probably the lowest you will find anywhere.

If the fur isnt already put up, I can do that as well. I use the Nevada stretch on all my bobcat pelts. I charge 40% of the sale price to put the fur up. It will have to be frozen solid, packed in a cooler of some kind (foam ones work fine) and covered with ice, shipped via next day or 3rd day in order to avoid any problems with the fur.

Let me know if you have any questions.

my cell number is *********
Airon

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm gonna interupt this little weiner fight for just a couple of mins.---then you guys can get back at it.lol.

The U.S. fur market is divided up into regions, and there is a reason for that.

With lots of guys think'in there gonna "cut the fat hog" cause they caught and skinned a cat and its worth $1000.00, some could be in for a suprize. The majority of top money cats are been'in taken on the west side of the "Big River'.

The post says there are hides com'in from Virgina and maybe some other eastern states. How does a fella think an eastern hide is gonna stand up along side a western heavy. Fur graders and buyers at these auction houses aren't stupid. Most eastern hides along side a western will most probably look like crap. They'll probably grade flat, and could have brought more money if they had been sold in their own region.

Its hard to sell an ugly skinny chicken as a nice fat goose.

Hope some of this info helps some folks out.

I know from 30 years of deal'in in the fur market--- Sometimes your the windshield--- sometimes your the bug.lol.

Originally Posted By: ridgerunner2By the way why would anyone want to send any cats to you guys to sell? Here is a reply I received from Desert Ghost:

There really isnt a commission. If you were to come down yourself and put fur in the sale, it costs you $20. thats it, whether you have 1 fur or 100, its $20. that goes to just cover the rental of the building.

I assume the fur is already put up and ready for sale. If you would like for me to take the fur up there to the sale for you, I can do that. Of course you would have to pay shipping to get to my house in Az. Im charging $10 to go towards my gas. that is probably the lowest you will find anywhere.

If the fur isnt already put up, I can do that as well. I use the Nevada stretch on all my bobcat pelts. I charge 40% of the sale price to put the fur up. It will have to be frozen solid, packed in a cooler of some kind (foam ones work fine) and covered with ice, shipped via next day or 3rd day in order to avoid any problems with the fur.

Im not really sure what you mean as to why you wouldnt want to send fur out this way to get into the sale. You asked about the commission at the sale. THERE ISNT A "COMMISSION". The cost to get in the door is $20, and you have to have fur to sell. the $20 is only to cover the renting of the building. Plain and Simple! the idea the guy has behind this sale is to get as much money into the trappers hands as possible. there isnt any real overhead, so why charge a commission?

If you are referring to the second part of my response where I talk about putting the fur up FOR YOU, and taking 40% of the sale price. Well, lets see. . . there is more often a lot more time put into the fur put up than the actual harvesting of the animal. and yet I am taking less than half of the money generated for doing most of the work. I think thats a pretty fair offer.

I want you to clarify what you mean by your statement "By the way why would anyone want to send any cats to you guys to sell?" Im trying to be pretty upfront and answer any questions for folks who might be new to selling fur and/or dont know the proper fur put up on bobcats. Im simply giving an alternative to selling the fur. If a guy has a place to sell the fur, good for them. If they want to take the opportunity to sell their fur at this sale, great, thats all im offering.

Originally Posted By: catcapperWith lots of guys think'in there gonna "cut the fat hog" cause they caught and skinned a cat and its worth $1000.00, some could be in for a suprize. The majority of top money cats are been'in taken on the west side of the "Big River'.

The post says there are hides com'in from Virgina and maybe some other eastern states. How does a fella think an eastern hide is gonna stand up along side a western heavy. Fur graders and buyers at these auction houses aren't stupid. Most eastern hides along side a western will most probably look like crap. They'll probably grade flat, and could have brought more money if they had been sold in their own region.

Yes you are correct, those cast east of the river arent going to bring $1k. This is just another opportunity for them to sell the fur, with a chance / the possibility to get a little more for it.

As for the ones coming from a guy in Virginia, he figured it was worth a shot at this sale, rather than getting only $80 for a nice looking 44 inch cat.

Last edited:
Back