squirrel secrets

cmil84

Ok it never fails everytime I go squirrel hunting I never see them. When I deer hunt there all around. I have heard about rubbing quarters together or something to call them. Is this true and is there any more tricks I should know

I can't think of any secrets to tell you, but I have a squirrel call, I believe it's a Holt that I've had for years. I use that and the squirrels come running from all directions.

I heard if you rub two pennies together, the edge of one across the pillars on the building (lincon memorial building) of the other. I've never used this just read it some where, on here I think actually.

I would recommend getting a squirrel call and then learning to use it at the right times. Below I've copied a post I made a couple years ago (on a different forum) about squirrel calling.

I have used squirrel calls for over 10 years and have had some good success with them. The best advice I can give you is to only use a squirrel call when you are having trouble locating squirrels. When you bark on a squirrel call, you will get one of two responses: 1) the squirrels will go to a high point on a tree and silently scan the woods for the location of the noise, 2) the squirrel will bark back at you aggressively. I have only had the squirrel bark back at me twice...ever. But, it is a pretty cool experience. Generally a squirrel bark will put the squirrels on a little higher alert and it's tough to spot them moving. But using the call is effective when you can't locate any squirrels because they will tend to come nearer to the call, even if they try to sneak in on the sound.

If you use a bark call, couple it with a squirrel distress call. Haydel's makes a call that is a two-in-one. Best squirrel call I've ever used. More mature squirrels will often respond to a squirrel distress call rather than a bark call. Rustle some leaves as you blow the squirrel distress call. Again, they will try to sneak in on the call, but once they are interested, it's tough for them to ignore the sound. I've bagged more squirrels without a call than with one, but a call adds a new dimension to your hunting that is tough to beat. If you do get a bark call, go to haydel's website and listen to the way they use the call, the rhythm they use is the most effective one I've heard.

Not once have I ever needed a squirrel call to get my limit.

Like said above. Find the food source. Sit still and watch for them to come out on a limb for another nut. Listen for cuttings to fall and you will find the squirrels

A big Fox Squirrel came down a tree next to me and Whispered in my ear. He said PSSS! I'm gonna tell you a secret,Leave the Squirrel calls at Home. He said tell anyone and Ill kill ya.
scared.gif

I once had a squirrel almost jump on my lap, but to shoot at that angle could take my leg off. I shooed him away and he sat under a tree 30 yards away and ate. I put the crosshairs on him and popped him. I would post a pic but I was ending a hog hunt that morning and used my .308. Red mist has been completely redefined for me.

Originally Posted By: AlexanderWallerI once had a squirrel almost jump on my lap, but to shoot at that angle could take my leg off. I shooed him away and he sat under a tree 30 yards away and ate. I put the crosshairs on him and popped him. I would post a pic but I was ending a hog hunt that morning and used my .308. Red mist has been completely redefined for me.

laugh.gif
that's funny

I've heard the quarter/penny thing,tried it but could never get it to work. Even where I knew there were limb chickens around.

What works best for me is, early morning or late afternoon, low wind and slip in quiet, sit down and take a little nap. They'll show up.

The passive method of sitting and waiting has always worked for me too. However, I also use the Haydel Mr. Squirrel call that imitates a baby in distress and can say that it works great. I used it yesterday in the yard and it again produced results-got three real quick. What I likes how it 'turns them on' making their tails shake and thus real easy to spot.

2milehighguy,, How loud or hard do you blow the squirrel distress. Mine sounds like a high piched whistle, havent had any response yet with it.
Daryl P.

Pretty loud to start with. If you go to the Haydels website they have a demonstration of it. Four or five short squeaks then I stop and scan for a few minutes. Not all are active, some move to a good vantage point and look for you. As in all hunting, stay still.

wait til the nuts are on the ground and the trees shed leaves..take walks then and act as a coon dog,tree and kill! frosts take care of warbles and other pests.

Originally Posted By: getfoxyNot once have I ever needed a squirrel call to get my limit.

Like said above. Find the food source. Sit still and watch for them to come out on a limb for another nut. Listen for cuttings to fall and you will find the squirrels

Gary's got it right.
thumbup1.gif

As far as rubbing money together, you'll get all the action you can stand if you go to a strip club about 30 minutes before closing time and rub a couple of hundred dollar bills together.
That's about the only guarantee that I can give you.

Squirrels are training aides for deer season. You say you see them when deer hunting thats probably cuz you keep your movement and noise to a minimum.

BINGO

Hickories hickories hickories ....you can clean house when they are cutting hickories. Typically you can drop multiple out of same free even. I tagged out in hour and 15I earlier this season killing them all within about 85to yards. Like mentioned listen for them cutting and slip and and bust them. I love squirrel season, I think of it as being a squirrel sniper haha its fun as all get it out if you find right spot.

Back