Knife guys, can it be fixed?

Chupathingy

Hey fellas, this knife forum came at the right time I think. I was going through some of my Grampa's things and ran across this old knife. I know that it's a Schrade and it says "Old Timer" on the grip. Its in pretty rough shape but the edge is still sharp and there is no pitting on the blade. On the blade it says "Schrade U.S.A. 518SC". What is it? Is it worth saving? If so, how do I restore it? My Granddad said that he and my uncles all dressed deer with this knife.

pmpics018.jpg

pmpics019.jpg

pmpics020.jpg

Thanks
Chupa

If you want a real quote, PM me and I'll send you the name and number of the knife maker that made my customs...He can probably restore both items, but you would need to talk to him personally...

that looks like an old sharp finger with a gut hook,cool old knife you said it is not pitted so i bet you could fix it with some steelwool and machine oil.saddle soap on the sheath.if that was my granpa's i sure would fix it and use it i have one that don't have the gut hook.it skinned a lot of coyotes

I have a Schrade Drop Point Sharpfinger, and it is one of my favorite knives. I have skinned a lot of animals with it. Mine didn't have a gut hook, but otherwise looks the same (minus a little rust). If you get it restored you won't regret it.
thumbup1.gif

My brother just picked a knife like this up at a garage sale 2 weeks ago for $1. The blade was a little rusty and had some glue on it but cleaned up pretty nice. The gut hook could use a little sharpening still. Cool knife.
thumbup1.gif

It can be fixed up. Just takes a lot of elbow grease. Knock of the initial layer of rust with some steel wool and Flitz. Sometimes I will soak overnight in Kroil first.

I'd start out with some 400 and see where you are at. If it is not abrasive enough, or too slow, go to 220 or 240. I even take a random orbit sander to really bad ones. It speeds it up, but you have to be careful not to take too much off. You dont want to change the countour or erase the tang stamp. Then you have to start at 320, then 400, then scotchbrite, then steel wool, then buff(if you wish). I wouldn't buff that blade. Probably go scotchbrite finish on it.

I have brought worse knives than that back from the dead. You just need to figure out how far you want tp go with it. You can keep it looking old/used(just not rusty), or you can almost make it look like new, or you can go somewhere in between.

Here is an 1979 Taylor Cutlery Elk Horn that was in WAY worse shape than your knife. The blade was completely trashed. Now it is a mirror. Tang stamps still intact, but I had to slightly reshape the blade.....

3D7A666D-1EAE-454F-B3BA-38944C73C3AF-113-0000009B836D04B9.jpg

Put some oil on the handle and scrub it with a rag. You can buff the plastic, but go easy, as you can burn/melt it if not careful.

Scrub the sheath then try saddle soap. Then you can put bear grease or neatsfoot oil on it. Take some steel wool to the snap closeure. Then buff it.If it does not come out good, those sheaths are easily obtained.

Use green or white buffing compound.

I would make a nice lanyard for it also.

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunPut some oil on the handle and scrub it with a rag. You can buff the plastic, but go easy, as you can burn/melt it if not careful.

Scrub the sheath then try saddle soap. Then you can put bear grease or neatsfoot oil on it. Take some steel wool to the snap closeure. Then buff it.If it does not come out good, those sheaths are easily obtained.

Use green or white buffing compound.

I would make a nice lanyard for it also.

Thanks Ken, think I'll try that.

Chupa

Back