Raspy or mellow

Rich Cronk

Even though the predators probably couldn't care less, I just love to use a call that has a lot of raspy or growly sound. What do you guys like best in a call? Mellow or raspy?

Rich,

I disagree. I think the critters do care. Maybe it depends on what you are calling for, but anyone who has read much of my junk knows that I am primarily interested in cats. Coyotes are way down on the list somewhere.

I know for a fact that I have personally called in far more cats using a call with a clear, high pitched scream, as opposed to a low, gravely, jack rabbit type call. I have several of what are commonly referred to as "jack rabbit" calls. They are pretty much at home in a cigar box. The calls in my back pack are open reed calls, and I prefer to tune them myself.

Bob Mc,
Thanks for posting your advise on calling the cats. I just knew that one day I would manage to trick you in to giving your secret away.
smile.gif
This is exactly the type of advice we want to see on predator masters. I for one, hold your cat calling advise in very high regard.

I prefer a mellow sound for callin in the mountains and the raspy sound seems to work better when I call out in the wheat fields and sage brush.

------------------
Dary

Rich,
Like Bob, I too like the high pitched calls for bobcats, but, I prefer the the more raspy calls for lions. Bill M has me working with higher pitched calls right now for the cougars, and I feel that he may have something there. Had ole Calipso Bob here this past week for lions and I called in number 23 since April of last year. Bob didn't get a shot though.

Rich, are you going back to Washington this year for Bear?
Steve

------------------
www.azpredatorhunts.com

Steve Craig,
Did you tell calypso Bob that he must stay calm enough to aim and shoot after you call the lion in for him?
smile.gif
Yes I do plan to try for bear and cougar again this year. The .30-06 is also going with me. Crawling through tunnels in the brush after wounded bears is not my favorite thing to be doing.
smile.gif

Rich My compliments,this is a nice forum.
I have found giving coyotes different types of sounds sometimes means the difference between a responce and none at all.If I know I have coyotes close I will use a high pitched, low volume hand squeel. If coyotes are located far away I will go to a loud gravely jack rabbit. Then go back to a coaxer or hand squeak when I beleive I have a coyote on the way. Having a vesatile open read mouth call is mandatory for any serious calling. One has to have and use mellow to hard calls to be successful, and not one or the other will guarantee a critter all the time.

i prefer the loud rasp of a rabbit call but the higher pitched lower volume calls seem to produce more responces for me.i think its becouse the coyotes and fox in my area are highly educated.the softness of of high pitch call that is used properly seems to work better.alot of inexperienced callers tend to call to loud and deep for educated critters.

I like a raspy call for coyotes. For bobcat I use higher pitched calls. The only lion that we ever called (that I know of) came to cougar vocalizations.

Back