What's the advantage to hand calls over electronic?

bowhunter57

I've started using hand calls for coyotes, but am wondering what the advantages of electronic calls would be over hand calls.

Your views are appreciated.
Thank you, bowhunter57

Bowhunter 57,

I got into this predator calling seriously about 6 years ago and I have always used handcalls. I just ordered myself a Foxpro with remote. The reason I want to try a electronic caller is because the sound will not be coming from me. I think that is the biggest advantage with elec. caller. You can set up differently with the wind and the sound is continueous that is something that is very hard to do with a mouth blown call. The elec. caller also makes a beginner sound like an expert.

I really like handcalls though, because I enjoy making my own sounds and trying new things and sequences. It is also nice to be able to work a animal that is maybe a little hesitant to approach. I think using both can only help in the long run. You can call plenty of predators with a handcall and there is a lot of satisfaction in calling one in with sounds you have made yourself. I think it can only make you a better caller if you learn both methods of calling.

------------------

My favorite advantage to hand calls over electronic calls is that they are not as heavy.I might walk 5 to 8 miles in a day calling and I dont wanna lug an electronic around.Plus I get a certian satisfaction out of using a hand call and makein it work.And the outrageous price of electronics shys me a bit too.I could buy a gun for what some of them cost.Well thats my 2 cents worth.

Later,
Justin

bowhunter57,
Sorry it took me so long to answer your question. I believe that I can call just as many critters with a hand call, but there are times when the electronic can help you kill more of the critters that you call. This is because you can set the electronic caller cross-wind of your calling stand, and the critter comes in down-wind of the sound. I love to use hand calls because they are handy to carry and gives me a special feeling of pride when I can completely fool an old coyote with a hand call. This is especially true if I fool him with a call that I made myself.
smile.gif

bowhunter57 the main advantage between the two is the PRICE$$$$
biggrin.gif

I feel with the hand calls you can express youself and really make the sound a lot more real to the predator, cause like the rabbit you will get tired of crying and your sound will sound different as you get tired. Well this is the way i see it at least everybody has their own way of looking at it.

------------------
Jason's Gun Room
Quialty Custom Gunsmithing

Back