howler

d2admin

Administrator
I am realtively new to the calling game. I have been working with a howler lately. My question is : 1. I have to place the mouth piece almost exactly the same everytime, to acheive the desired howl- should it be this diificult ?
2. how effective is howling at this time of year and into the summer?

Craig,
You didn't mention the brand or style of howler you are using. Some of the howlers out there are harder than others to master.

After the coyote pups are born, the sound of a strange coyote in the area near a den site can be very effective. Mix in some puppy sounds and it is pure dynamite. Be sure to read everything in our Predator calling and Coyote biology forums too. There are a lot of experienced coyote men in there who are giving away some pretty neat secrets.

Craig,
You mentioned that if you place your lips in exact same position each time, the sound seemed ok. Try this--Pick up a pack of castration bands at your local farm supply store. Slide the band over the reed on your howler and slide or roll the band up or down the reed until you find the exact pitch and tone that you want. The band will then be your reference point, Place your lips up against the band and howl away.

Craig,
If that little trick don't work out, here is a motto to remember. A "Cronk" in your pocket means coyotes in your sights.
smile.gif

Mr. Cronk,
You can believe this or not, but your cow horn howler was the one I wanted. I told that to my wife last Christmas. I said if you decide to get a howler for me, get the one that Tom B. has in his catalog. Well, she did not do that. Not to sound ungreatful , I ask why she picked the one she got. She said" what's the difference". I was really looking forward to it, but it was a gift!

Craig,

Who says you can only have one howler?
smile.gif
No...I take that back! Don't start collecting calls. It is a terrible addiction!

"Mr." Cronk......I am feeling old, Rich, how about you?
smile.gif
It is nice to see a young man with manners and respect though, huh???

Good Hunting,

Bob C.

------------------
“No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms, is as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.”
Thomas Jefferson, June 1776

Craig:

Up until about 5 yrs ago, my wife had the same comment regarding hunting stuff "what's the difference" - that was until we were on a trip and she forgot to pack a bra. She asked me to run down to a loal store and buy her one. Of course I got one that was slightly small and upon her complaint I calmly said "what's the difference".....I haven't heard that line since!
wink.gif

Anyhow, we as hunters are always loosing and mis-placing things, ya know..like shells, callers, etc! I bet you my Rich Cronk Howler that Mr. Rich could work you up an emergency replacement real quick, if you were to ask him.....
smile.gif

------------------
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
one shot~one kill

Rich:

It's not a dog house but a cat house (3 Siamese and 1 wife)...
but to answer your question I sleep in the garage (with one eye open!)
wink.gif

------------------
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
one shot~one kill

Back