Misting

5.gif

Last edited:
John Alden, good to see you again my friend, been a long time.

I've used this so called misting technique for many years, since the 1970s, and it works.

You'll never fool a coyotes nose, I think we all agree to that. This technique is not mint to fool the coyotes nose or to cover the human scent, it's mint to confuse the coyote.
Once the animal gets downwind, that's when the coyote gets a big wiff of rabbit and smells another coyote.

Not being a coyote I can't say how they really think, but I can take a guess...
The coyote smells you anyways, but it also smells another coyote beating it to the rabbit. Remember try to guess what the coyote's thinking.
The coyote..Do I take a chance?
I smell a human, but that other coyote is getting my meal. If he's getting away with it then it must be ok? All this time the coyote is standing around trying to make up it's mind and it's giving you all kinds of shots......So, do I think like a coyote or what? lol

Misting does work and it has its places to be used. Mainly heavey cover where you need to keep the coyote around longer and hopefully show its self for a good shot...
Misting is not ment to cover youre scent, its purpose is to calm or relax the coyote and yes confuse it also. not all coyotes are 100% affraid of human scent, some have never smelled a human and some live close by to houses or ranches and smell humans all the time. When some coyotes smell a human they may show some type of caution if they are used to it and by useing the mist they think there is another coyote present a rabbit or a bobcat, they will set caution aside and stick around out of curiosity, hunger, terr. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

There is no secret ingredient. Some guys add ammonia, bergamot, catnip, cheese oil, cumin, lovage oil, orris root, persimmon, or musk. Actually I think you could just use oils and not stink up the joint so bad. There are even some anise incense sticks you can burn.

The newer your truck - the less you mist with urines. If I did more photography, I'd mist more.

Here's a better version of the picture of Higgins misting for the PX article. They cropped it severely in the magazine.
Coyote1.jpg

I use coon camo scent as a misting agent when I'm calling in heavy cover with little or no wind. Otherwise I don't do it. Most of the time I forget the bottle until I'm there and ready to call. I can gar-aun-tee that I have seen little or no results in recent coyote movement around the garage.

We could really tell the difference in using rabbit urine, misting. We were night hunting most of the time.

We started the stand spraying the rabbit urine in the air to check the wind current in the red beam of our light. As the stand went on, one or two yotes may be shot, the other yotes may circle down wind due to the sound. As soon as we saw them circling (using a red lens our 100,000 CP light) we would grab the spray bottle and give another 4-5 squirts. It would take about 3 minutes for the rabbit urine scent to work it's way down wind, but when the yote picked up the scent, you could see an increased activity, usually working his way closer. The yote may hang up at a closer range or he may come charging in. More often than not, the yote would come in. If he was a hard chager, you had better pick up the shotgun because more than likely he would not stop.

Basically it boils down to three types of people when it comes to attractants and cover scents:

Can do people

Can't do people

Won't do people

If you live in an area with tons of yotes, chances are you would kill plenty of yotes not putting much of an effort with basic hand calls, no camo, etc. Population density dictates the extremes that a lot of guys will or will not go to in achieving success.

If/when you want to kill 45-60 animals in a weekend, you have to pull out all your bag of tricks.

I always thought stink bait was for fishing catfish? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
I believe a citified coyote may be confused /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif for a bit with misting, but I doubt a wild one would be for very long. I'm not saying for sure as I haven't tried it, I'm just saying. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I would try it , but it would have to be on a double dog dog dare. what if it spilled in my pickup or worse yet in the trunk of a rented car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif Naaah! There is enough stink associated with coyotes, I don't think I need to add to the mix. Why not just call them and kill them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Quote, "Why not just call them and kill them".

Redfrog, the reason to use the attractants is to entice the yotes that hang up that won't come in otherwise.

When doing so much night hunting, it was amazing at how many yotes circle down wind before coming in.

I don't think that an attractant "fools" a coyotes nose, but it does get them excited enough to let their guard down very often.

Redfrog, you did bring up a very legitimate issue on how to transport the urine, special care must be taken to double or tripple bag the stuff.

In the late 70's and early 80's, I used a lot of Tex Isabel's Skunk Screen, the two part solution. We put this stuff on 4 strips of cotton cloth tied on the 4 corners of the truck. We forgot to take them off when crossing the border from Mexico into the USA. The customs officials went crazy thinking that we were trying to fool the drug dogs noses. They sent us to secondary inspection with a swarm of officers following the truck. When they opened the door on the back of the camper shell and saw two shotguns and two scoped rifles laying there, they really freeked out! They thought for sure that they had caught some drug runners, especially since the shoot'en hatch in the top of the camper shell was open. We calmed them down enough to show them the large bag of tails that we had saved for the hair to tie flies with used by a friend in his trout fishing.

So, the attractants and scent eliminators can have some very unpleasant circumstances if one is not careful in how they are handled.

For me, there is nothing quite as rewarding as calling up a coyote up close and personal to where you can see the wicked determination in his killer eyes. The use of attractants and cover scents give me the ability to call yotes up close and personal more often. There is nothing quite as rewarding calling a yote to within 10 feet of you as you experience hearing the rush of his feet pounding the ground and him gasping for his next breath at a full run.

Place the call in the right spot.

Sit in the right spot.

Kill the coyote in the right spot.

I've used cover scents in the past, used to make my own home brew cover scent of sage and some other crap, not any more. I've never used misting, never tried it, have yet to see a reason for it. I don't want a coyote down wind for any reason, by mistake or on purpose.

I've killed a bunch of coyotes that came in down wind and just stood there like an idiot. If you call in and kill enough of them in a season, you're going to see a higher percentage of coyotes that do that, misting or not. I had a coyote in the front yard two days ago at 10 yds, dead down wind just looking at me very confused, like he was trying to figure out why that mouse was so dang big and holding a coffee cup. Would the results have changed if I was misting? This brings up Weasel's 4th secret ingredient. Personally I think the secret ingredient is hunting near human population where coyotes are conditioned somewhat to human scent, hence the stupid coyote in the front yard who knew he smelled a human, but then again he smells that same smell 24 hours a day if the wind is right, so to him the only new thing in the picture was a giant mouse.

It really all boils down to whether you want to do it or not. If it raises your confidence then GO FOR IT.. It's really no different then deciding what other tool or little gadget you have to have on stand, like choice of camo or shooting sticks. You can kills coyotes with or without all of it, but it sure makes you feel good having it.

Last edited:
I know myself all too well and I would end up with that concoction of several different animal urines all over the floorboard of my truck, in my cup holder, on my cap, down the air conditioner vent on my dash, etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I use another technique that has accounted for a few coyotes over the years.......I put a bullet in them before they get downwind to begin with. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif I can tell you without a doubt that making the proper stand set-up and killing them before they get down wind will kill as many, if not more, coyotes than the ones that might get down wind of your stand and temporarily act confused trying to figure out what the heck the multiple smells are coming from.

Granted, this might be easier for me since I call open country and can spot coyotes circling to my downwind side pretty easily, but it works well for me and I rarely get busted so bad that I can't make the kill......that goes for day or even night hunting when I'm calling 11' up in the air from the back of my deisel truck with all of the smells that go along with it. I see absolutely no use for it with the type of hunting I do. Just not worth it to me to buy the stuff or worry about toting it around.....but to each his own and I don't give a rip what other people do if they are happy doing it.....they just won't be able to convince me that I'm better off using it since they don't see where I hunt and how I hunt. I know there are certain "experts" out there use it and kill coyotes with it. I'm definitely no "expert", but I'll put money down that I kill more coyotes than some of those experts and I don't use any mists, bombs, sprays, etc. Not bragging, just the way it is.

Take care and God Bless,

Rusty

All I know is that my chicken bone necklace that was made and blessed by a voodoo priestess is the best thing I've ever used.

Last edited:
Weasel-UT, I don't think Higgins or Batastini ( that's me ) need a confidence booster when it comes to killing coyotes......But then again? lol

Quote:
If you live in an area with tons of yotes, chances are you would kill plenty of yotes not putting much of an effort with basic hand calls, no camo, etc. Population density dictates the extremes that a lot of guys will or will not go to in achieving success.

WHAT HE SAID /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I have hunted in the area Rich hunts and his dogs get lots of calling pressure and misting works for him .
end of story...
maybe you others don't need it for one reason or the other but some of us are doing a hole different hunt then you are and we are thankful for any thing that helps us kill critters ..I hope you under stand this

someone said it will not hold a wild coyote long,,

Well those of us who call coyote know that anything that will hold ANY coyote for one split secant longer for a shot, a shot that may have not been available if he or she wasn't misting cant be a bad thing,
To me, misting is just another tool in a callers bag of tricks for killing hard to call yotes

try what ever may work to kill your coyotes

Weasel-UT, I know you weren't talking about me, I just thought I'd say it for fun, besides I ain't talked about Higgins for a long time lol.

Let me tell ya, I can't stay up at night anymore, not even the first half or first quarter. When the sun goes down I'm ready to go to bed.

Who told you about that pee pee stuff hanging from my truck mirror? That was supposed to be a big secret from back in the old days.....and speaking of old, how ya been lol.

We have fun talking about different techniques. I never got the rabbit pee on anything.

What some of you folks don't realize is that animals may circle down wind as far out as 400 yards and beyond. They do infact like to run with their nose into the wind as they become older and wiser, just another tool that they have working for them. Young dump ones will do just about anything.

The whole idea of shooting the coyote before he gets down wind works when you can see a long ways, but what about the guys that are hunting in areas where 125 yard shot is a long shot, they get busted often and never even know that a coyote has been in the area.

We learned a lot about hunting coyotes when hunting in Mexico where a team of guys could harvest hundreds of animals in a years time, depending on how often and the duration of the trips.

When you are night hunting out of your truck in areas with high population densities, it is a completely different set of rules compared to a guy that gets out and walks out into the bush making a stand off the ground.

When we were discussing Misting, we were mainly discussing the effect on coyotes. Foxes are another story altogether. When you run up on a family of foxes and you are misting, it is likely that you will kill the entire family unit...they have the attention span of a knat. You shoot one, they leave and come back, you shoot another, they dance around, and come on in. I can remember many stands that we shot 3 foxes on, and one where we got 6.

When guys live in areas where the populations are high combined with the ability to see for longer distances, they do not have to put out the effort that a guy that hunts in the thick has to.

Guys that hunt in areas where the populations are low to moderate, have to pull out all the bag of tricks to get the success in a years time that a guy that hunts for a month in an area with a high population that does not do anything extra other than get his gun, cammo, ammo, and calls.

ackleyman from hickville? I find it interesting you know about Mexico and varmint rigs. So do I, been there done that. I could tell you some awesome stories about animal counts, but then again you may already know.

One little item about misting most people don't talk about is being able to do it at night when 99% of the coyotes come in down wind.
When I hunted at night I had the advantage of being 8' or so off the ground so I could see over the sage brush and the mist would carry a long way.
People think the coyote must be downwind for it to smell the urine, not so. The urine mist goes out in a cone shape meaning the coyote well pick it up before it ever gets downwind. That's why you need to start spraying way before the coyote gets there.

Back