reloading...have bulge at neck base

specializedcc

I was reloading my very first batch tonight with my dad, and after about 50 loads done I noticed I was getting a bulge right at the neck of the base. We adjusted the die to correct the problem, so Im just wondering if this will affect accuracy or safty. There not real bad but noticable when you look, they load into the ar just fine so Im not that worried about it, just thought Id run it by you fellas

Quote:
basicly I was pressing the shell up in the die too far when seating the bullets

Yes, the crimp was forcing brass down since it didn't have anywhere else to go. If there is no bullet cannulare, that's what happens.
If they chamber, they're fine to shoot.

He didn't say whether he was reloading for an AR or not, and the AR might need a crimp, but I was unaware that normal 223 dies had any crimping ability built into them. It sounds to me like he was just pushing the shoulders back too much, or too much lube.

Last edited:
If there is no bullet cannulare, that's what happens. Not true

He was "crimping" too much.

all dies that I am aware of have the ability to crimp.

if you can chamber them they should shoot fine. You may want to check.

Blammer is correct.

The reason you were getting the buldges at the shoulder base was simply because the seater die was set to low and all of your cases were not trimmed to the same length. You corrected that by slightly raising the seater die away from the crimping area of the die.....Good job /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

You may still have problems getting these rounds to chamber in a bolt gun but, if they do, they will still fire normally and all you will do is fire form them to your chamber and you are good to go, no problem there.

Now, if you are planning on using these in an AR15, you will need to pull the rounds apart and resize them. You will not get these bulged rounds to chamber in an AR. There is not enough force to close the bolt as in a bolt gun.

Back