home made shooting sticks...pics

sharkathmi

Hi All.
Just to be safe, I did a search on this subject and didn't see ones like this so I thought I'd post these pictures.
I wanted some cheap shooting sticks and couldn't find anything I liked for that price. So, I came up with these. There may be ones out there exactly like them, I don't know. [If I've stepped on someone elses post the mod can delete.] They can be made in less than 15 minutes after you have all the supplies- (2) 36"x3/8" dowels, [I like oak], 8" of 3/8ID tubing, [I like the kind with fibers in it] and 2 tiny brads. Total cost is about $2.50!
20080518001.jpg

I took 8 inches of 3/8ID tubing and cut this notch in it 1/2 way through the tubing.

20080518002.jpg

Insert the dowels like this so the dowel is flush with the tubing. I put a tiny brad through the tubing into the dowel so it can't slide at a bad moment. [mine slid and it cost me a coyote /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif]

20080518003.jpg

Finished product.

I have these and a 1/2"x48" pair for when the snow gets deep and I sit on a small stool.
I hope some of you find these useful.
M

Great, now I have to make a new set! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Thanks for the info sharkathmi. Good idea. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

They look great. I put drilled out 40 Caliber brass cases on the ends of mine and inserted a steel rod so they work well on our hard ground.

IMG_1734.jpg

Quote:
They look great. I put drilled out 40 Caliber brass cases on the ends of mine and inserted a steel rod so they work well on our hard ground.

IMG_1734.jpg

One, two, three......I think you got the tripod thing going on. What does the other end look like? Does it cradle the rifle well? I though about trying it but attempting to modify my design into a tripod seemed like to much work. Good idea on the cartridge cases.

M

That simply is a great idea M. I was going to make a couple of sets of Varmint Al's, but I'm going to try yours instead. thanks again.

The tops of mine are wrapped with leather and the pivot points are tied with parachute cord. I use them as a bipod and tripod. I often sit on a stool so I used 48" dowels.

IMG_1735.jpg

IMG_1733.jpg

That piece of yarn that's hanging down is used as a wind indicator. I've actually made quite a few different shooting sticks. Besides the commercial Predator Sniper Styx, this set is used most often.

Nice Weasel....I may have to "borrow" your idea and see what I can come up with for the third leg. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Just in time! Thanks. I took my kid out whistle pig shooting last Thursday (we both played hooky to do it) and the knucklehead left my 30 dollar sniper stix out there. Drove back out but couldn't find them. Serves me right. I'll be building a pair next weekend- just like yours! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

I really like the idea of the rubber hose on the top. See if you can find a couple used alum arrows instead of the dowels. I had a couple laying around and they are already camo'd. Light as heck too. I inserted practice feild tips in the bottom (used to be the tip of the arrow) to help keep them from moving around.

CB

Good Deal there. Make two pair. You need one camoed for your Fox Pro to get better reception and give you some reach for the JIB. Yep.
Bushy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I made two pair, one out of oak, and another out of birch. They both broke-leg snapped right in half. It happened to me once on stand. While I think they sound like a good idea, nothing beats my predator sniper stix. One idea that might work is trading out dowel rods for tent pole material. But for me, the 30 bucks spent on the good ones is worth the lack of high blood pressure and cussing fits that follow each time I break one.

Thanks, I've bought a couple pair of sniper stix ( my 8 year old lost one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif).I like those best, but... Maybe I'll make another pair with the fence material so Charlie can have a pair that he is welcome to lose /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

i use drive way marker posts i can get em 3 for a dollar at the local farm store then i can use the reflectors where i hunt to "range out" i put em up the day befor and when it is night i can see how far they are alot easier

I used camo carbon arrows with target tips, gas tubing, and a couple castration bands (to keep them bound tight when not in use). When I got Stoney Point sticks, the wife commandeered the arrows - she says they're superior to the SPs for her (a bit shorter).

The sticks that sharkathmi made look like they may allow more range of field and better protection for your gun than the Bi-Fur Sticks. Perhaps 1/2" rather than 3/8" would make them sturdier in oak if you can get ID tubing in that size.

I always carry a small roll of electrical tape with me to keep the elements out of the end of the barrel. Would work well to strap the sticks too if needed.

I like sitting on a stool so I use (3) 4' vinyl coated tomato stakes from Lowe's. They are something less than 1/2" in diameter and I use a heavy Oring to hold them together. You can slide the Oring up and down for differtent shooting heights. Very light weight and adjustable. About $6 to make. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
The sticks that sharkathmi made look like they may allow more range of field and better protection for your gun than the Bi-Fur Sticks. Perhaps 1/2" rather than 3/8" would make them sturdier in oak if you can get ID tubing in that size.
I always carry a small roll of electrical tape with me to keep the elements out of the end of the barrel. Would work well to strap the sticks too if needed.

Ahshucks,
I've made several pair since this post.
I ended up with ones from 3/8" oak dowel that are 36" long for sitting on the ground. The oak is a lot stiffer than whatever the other dowels are made out of.
For sitting on a stool, I made some out of 1/2" regular dowel that are 4 foot long. They seem good as is.
I also tried making some out of 3/8" fiberglass fence post material like you use for eletric fence. I noticed they are a lot heavier than wood and if your gloves get a little snow on them, the fiberglass shaft gets real slippery. I guess I don't like the added weight the most. The other thing I've noticed is if the get your sticks as far back on the rifle as possible, a small amount of movement on your part gives you a large amount of swing up front, if you know what I mean.

Quote:
I like sitting on a stool so I use (3) 4' vinyl coated tomato stakes from Lowe's. They are something less than 1/2" in diameter and I use a heavy Oring to hold them together. You can slide the Oring up and down for differtent shooting heights. Very light weight and adjustable. About $6 to make. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I think I'll give this a try too. I've not made a tripod yet but think the added support would be handy for the longer shots.

M

Back