I didn't get a turkey.....But

AZMIKE1

As the title of this thread says I didn't bag a turkey. I did have an experience that I will never forget. My regular hunting partner Gary and I were sitting five feet from each other on a hillside where we had heard gobbles that morning. It was about 6pm and we were camoed head to toe with facemasks and gloves. We were killing time waiting for the wind to die down and some gobblers to speak up. I saw some movement to my left and whispered to Gary, here comes an elk. When the young bull came out of thick trees into the open it stopped at about 30 yards and looked at us for a few seconds. The wind was in our favor blowing from the elk to us. Then the elk walked straight to me stopping with his front hooves almost touching my left boot sole. The elk then put his head down to give me a sniff, when his head was 18 inches above my knee he smelled me and jumped back. After a jump back or two he stopped about 30 feet away and looked at us for a few more seconds. When he jumped back his hoof kicked the bottom of my boot. Then he walked off as if nothing happened. If my movement wouldn't have spooked the elk I could have easily touched his head!!Gary and I are convinced that young Mr. bull was curious as to what those two camo blobs were sitting on the ground. We're also pretty sure he'll be a spike since I saw a bull the previous day that had brow tines in velvet. Our young friend only had velvet knobs. Have any of you had a similar "close encounter of the wildlife kind"?

Had a similar experience 20+ years ago. Bow season in the Ozarks. Got up in the tree stand an hour before daylight, along side a well used trail with fresh rubs and a scrape or two. My buddy was in a tree 400 yds away. By 9 or 10 nothing had come along, and sitting 15 feet up in a tree nodding off is not real smart.I climbed down,leaned up against the tree and as it was chilly I raked leaves over my legs and fell asleep. After some time I heard footsteps in the leaves behind me and became semi aware of the steps as they got closer and closer from behind me.My first instinct was that it was my buddy sneaking up to scare me and I was determined to spoil it for him by not reacting.Well the steps kept coming, getting louder and louder. Suddenly they stopped right behind my tree. I was anticipating a yell or something,but it was deathly quiet.Suddenly Something or someone was blowing,snorting on my neck. Now I'm extremely nervous, man I was praying it wasn't my buddy. Hey, you never really know. And a bear wouldn't be much better.It took all the nerve I could muster not to move. After 3 or 4 snorts on my neck I heard the steps begin again coming around to my left. I could swear whoever or whatever could hear my eyeballs click trying to get a glimpse.After a few more steps appears a 10 point buck(midwest count)a real beauty with heavy tines. And naturally my bow was laying across my lap and the arrow had unnocked. He was less than 10 feet away. He would stop,act like he was getting a bite of grass, then jerk his head up and look at me. Did that several times,then stamped his front hooves on the ground. I didnt even blink.I knew if he kept on his present course he would put a small evergreen between us for a brief step or two and maybe I could get a shot. As he stepped behind the bush I raised my bow, and in doing so hit a branch above my head. Needless to say he was long gone. It was a cool experience, but man I was relieved it wasn't my buddy!

I was bow hunting one day and had a porcupine walk ACROSS my feet as I leaned against a tree-- started to shake thinking about trying to pull quills out of my ankles- did not have to but still scared the crap out of me! A few months later had a skunk walk over my legs as I sat waiting for turkeys to come out into the opening!Talk about a smell a$$ed creature!

Back