New York Youth Season

pmack

Hunted with my youngest opening Saturday 3 hours, hot and buggy, couldn't get any response. Sunday was quick, done by 6:00. Gobblers sound off just inside the woods. Spiked the decoys in the field to our right. Birds were gobbling off the corner to my left. Jake came out first. Was just about to tell him to take'em at 20 yards when I heard drumming and spittin to my left. This boy steps out in full strut with a deer trailing right behind him. I tell him "don't take the first bird". They finally get to where he can shoot and know something's up. I'm telling him to shoot and he keeps saying he can't. The two toms are spinning in circles heads up trying to figure out what's going on, while the deer is just watching all this. They both moved to the left giving no shot and headed back towards the corner. I think the party's over. This guy makes a right (wrong) turn at the corner and headed up the edge. About 30 yards when he got dumped. 9 inch beard 1 inch spurs and 20lbs.
[image]
100b3021-1.jpg
[/image]

Thats a mounter! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Nice job. Lets here about the calling ect. Where in NY? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Congrats Little Pmack. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Dave

Grunter we're in Ontario, just outside of Rochester. Didn't call too much. I had a feeling they'd be roosted in this section of mature hardwoods. They Gobbled just as we got there. Set up and called enough to let them know we were there They weren't answering just gobbling on there own. Happened pretty quick. Heard them fly down and within a couple of minutes they were in the field. That's his second bird and the 5th my two boys have taken.

Back