First Blood with new Foxpro

Silverfox

Took the new Foxpro out this morning and called in four coyotes in the second place I used the Foxpro. One circled to get the wind and one gave me a quartering broadside shot. Dead coyote! The other two never came close enough to shoot at after I took the shot.

I was a bit skeptical about the Foxpro, but found it has good sound qualities, plenty of volume, very light weight, and the remote is something no one should be without.

I used the Rabbit Distress #2 sound and on medium low volume. I thought I was just reaching the immediate area and was going to turn up the volume in a couple of minutes. These coyotes came from about 3/4 of a mile away.

View

[This message has been edited by Silverfox (edited 03-17-2001).]

I told you it would work! Congrats,and thanks for the good letter and pics.

------------------
"ALL HUNTS ARE AS GOOD AS THE MEMORIES THEY PROVIDE US."

SilverFox,

I was wondering did you have the Foxpro pointed in the direction that the coyotes came in from? If you have the FP pointed away from you how does the sound carry very well behind it? Since it is pretty small I just wondered how the directional the sound is. Was the volume you used much louder than what a person can blow a open reed call?

How far out have you tested the remote too?

Sounds like you broke it in right! Good job

------------------

Lonny--This is going to be a long explanation, to just tell you where I had the caller pointed. I wish I had taken a photo of the spot I set up in. (The camera was too heavy to carry along.)
smile.gif
It wasn't ideal, but I didn't want to take a chance and expose my presense to any possible coyotes to the NW, north or NE of me. Normally, I sneak in to where I have an unobstructed view of everything in front of me and to the sides for at least a 180 degree panorama.

In this spot I had a small rise to the NW of where I set up; a continuation of the ridge that I laid on to the east of that spot. The little ridge was about 200 yards away from me and not real high, but high enough so I couldn't see straight NW of that little rise. I could see all of the terrain to the west of that little rise and I could see at least 150 yards north to a little rise that came up off a huge slough. The area from about 150 yards north to approximately 300 yards north sloped down to the slough and I could not see that area. Then after that I could see all the way to the north horizon. My visibility to the NE and east was 300+ yards to a very low rise, about 75 yards of area behind the rise I couldn't see and then it opened up into a large flat area to the east.

I pointed the caller pretty much straight north. The wind was from the NW between 5 and 10 mph and the sky was overcast. I was really surprised the coyotes responded that quickly from so far away when I had the caller set at the medium low volume. I think we (at least I do) tend to underestimate the acuity of the coyote's hearing once in awhile.

The sound is NOT very loud from the side or behind the call. However, I don't think that will prevent coyotes, fox, or bobcats from responding from the sides though. The volume level was well below that which I can obtain using a Tally Ho, Circe, Critr Call, etc. I don't understand all the technical aspects of how sound is dispersed, but perhaps if you set the speaker horn pointed upwards, you would get a more even distribution of sound in all directions. This is NOT a scientific opinion, just a wild guess.

I haven't experimented with the remote as to distance. I did step off about 40 yards at one spot and the remote worked fine. I had the Foxpro about 25 to 30 yards from me where I called in those coyotes.

I think I will also try to find some type of motion attractant to attach to the Foxpro or set up near the caller. Something that will move in the wind. I think someone on another board used feathers to build a fan shaped attractant, attached the tube from a ballpoint pen to the back of it with a hot glue gun and then slipped that over the top of the Foxpro antennae. I had the Foxpro hanging off the side of my camera tripod with a small cord. I had the speaker cone sticking out of the face hole of one of my white ski masks, but I'm sure it didn't look like any rabbit these coyotes had ever come across. Maybe even one of those store-bought toy rabbits would have had the first coyote stumbling all over itself to get to the wascally wabbit instead of circling to get the wind.
Running+Rabbit.gif

[This message has been edited by Silverfox (edited 03-17-2001).]

Silverfox, I am the one who posted about a fan of feathers on the antenna.
I would liek to post a pic of it , but danged if I know how.
I will try and explain it a little , it really is a simple deal.

Cut the tail off even with the end of his body. Then take the feathers and spread them out into a fan shape. Then lay a board on them till they dry. About a week, then I took the cap off of a magic marker and some black electric tape and taped it around the middle feather at the base. I then took hot glue and secured it a little better.
I then smashed the cap rather flat, or probably better if you do this move before you attach it. This way it will go over the folded end of antenna.
This works like a charm, it works even without a breeze , but works even better with one.
The only thing is that if it is blowing too hard it will tip your caller over unless you put a rock or cow chip up against it.
I have used this a lot and compared it against when I don't and I can say it is a definate drawing factor.
I don't know if it will keep one from circling however, I kind of think that if you have a coyote that is suspicious enough to circle then there is not much that will stop him from it.
Except of course a bullet.

[This message has been edited by Craig Hamilton (edited 03-17-2001).]

Craig,

I copied this from a post by AzWill. Please try to get your pix posted if you can. I'm sure that I'm not the only one that would like to see your feather fan.

tcoop

Folks. . .
Tasha Gardner was kind enough to put together this little tip for those who need help in posting graphics to Predator Masters.

"-Scan the photo and export it to "My Documents" on the desk top
-Name the file followed by .jpg

-Go to www.photopoint.com and register. They'll set up a free online photo album for you and email you a password and user name

-send them an email at photos@photopoint.com asking them to put the photo in your album and including the file from "My Documents" as an attachment to the email you send them (they now have free software you can download that enables you to send the photo file right from your scanner)

-once they email you telling you your photo is developed, go back to www.photopoint.com and enter your password and user name. That will give you access to your photo album

-left click on the photo to enlarge it and right click and read it's address under "Properties." It'll look something like: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=......&a=......&p=......&Sequence=0

-copy the link down and when you want to include the photo in a post, just precede the link address by
with no spaces in between and it'll appear. "

Thanks Tasha, this information will come in handy...

------------------ http://www.predatormasters.com

[This message has been edited by tcoop (edited 03-17-2001).]

Silverfox. . .

Man! You sure know how to make a caller’s mouth water don’t you!!!!

Glad to hear you finally got your FoxPro. Maybe, just maybe, it’s a good thing you didn’t get it sooner or you’d be plum out of yotes to shoot by now.

What’s that shoot’n iron you’re using? Kind of looks like one of them new Weatherby varmint rigs.

I have been told that mine is finally on the way, but most of the critter calling in my neck of the woods is pretty dead now til next fall.

From my experiences with the FoxPro, the unit is very directional when it comes to sound projection but it works very well nonetheless.

When mine arrives, I’m going to mate a little bigger speaker to the unit: you know something the size of a JS512 or Phantom Predator speaker should be perfect.

Hey Craig. . .

Thanks for the email the morning... If you want, email me the fan photo and I’ll be more than happy to post it for you.

I’d stay a yak some more but getting this much down has kicked by butt real good.

Good calling...

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

http://www.predatormasters.com

AzWill--

Had I received the Foxpro caller earlier in the season, I don't think I would have completely annihilated the coyotes in NW North Dakota, but I think my success ratio would have been a little higher.

The rifle I am using is a .17 caliber Remington. The barrel is a #5 countour stainless steel model from Shilen. It has a Remington BDL action. Dick Saunders (Saunders Gun & Machine Shop) installed the barrel in June of 1987. The rifle sits in an HS Precision thumbhole stock with the aluminum pillar block. No accurizing was done on the action and no work was done to the trigger. The scope is a 6-18X Burris Fullfield I bought in probably 1980 and I have a 8" to 13" Harris bipod on it.

I have ordered a #6 contour barrel from Dan Lilja in a 1 in 9" twist and will have that installed on this rifle this spring. My gunsmith is also going to blueprint the action and work on the trigger. I'm like a kid in a candy store waiting for that work to be done so I can get out and plink some prairie dogs this summer.

In the meantime, I have ordered a Tikka Master Sporter in 22-250 caliber. That should be here in a week or so. I am hoping to use the Tikkia Optilock scope mount system on this rifle. I'll put an old 6-18X Burris Fullfield scope on it for starters.

It is good to see you back on the board again Will--but don't overdo it. We all want you to get well again so you too can get out and try that new Foxpro when it comes.

Silverfox--It has been a long time since I have seen you, but you certainly have "matured" over the years. But of course that would be similar to the pot calling the kettle black, right? Anyway it looks like the years have treated you well, and you still get all psyched up about guns. A good combination!

Sounds like a nice rifle you have; how come you are putting a different barrel on it? Not to much variety in .17 cal. bullets; what do you use? From the looks of your coyote hanging on the post I don't think he can argue with bullet performance.

Steve--I figured after 3,500+ rounds through that Shilen barrel, it deserved a rest. I can no longer seat my bullets out far enough to touch the lands and the size of my 100 yard groups has opened up a bit since it was new--went from 0.25" to about 0.75" over the years. I haven't chronographed it lately, but when it was new I was getting 3,950 to 4,000 fps with some of my hotter loads. I toned it down to 23.1 grains of IMR 4320, Rem. 7 1/2 BR primer and either 25 grain Hornady HP or Remington 25 grain HP. Those were going out of the barrel at 3,900 fps average.

My new barrel will have the 1 in 9" twist because I want to try the 28 and 30 grain bullets. There really is some variety in bullet weights available today Steve. The weights I know of are 15, 18, 19, 20, 22, 25, 28, 30, and 37 grain bullets. I just love the ability to be your own spotter when you are out shooting prairie dogs or gophers.

I think I still have a few years left in me Steve, even though I have "matured" a little bit. I still get a real thrill at the thought of going out and fooling a coyote or fox and bringing them in close enough for the coup de gras. When I get too old for that, you can push my wheelchair over the edge of a cliff and then set up and shoot coyotes off my bones.

Silverfox--From the looks of that photo I would say you have quite a few years left in you! You mentioned lots of bullet weights for a .17; who makes all these bullets? The only ones I see in my wholesale catalogs are the 25 gr. Hor.HP, and a 20 gr. VMax. When you get your new rifles set up and running, let me know how they are working out for you. I'm always interested in new rifles!

Silverfox--I read through the links you posted, and they are all very interesting. Re: the Calhoon link, what do you know about the 2 .19 caliber re-barrel kits they talk about? Do you know anything re: the .19/223 round they talk about?

Will, your welcome. I am currently trying to get my scanner hooked up. When I do I will send along a pic of that little feather decoy.

Steve--My e-mail service provider is down so I can't e-mail this stuff to you. I'll use this thread to give you the information on the off-topic subject of the .19 caliber stuff on the Calhoon site. I guess I don't know any more than you do about the .19 caliber stuff. I have read some bantering about which caliber, .20 or .19, was going to still be alive in a few years. The opinions seem to think the .20 caliber has a better chance of sticking around. I think there are more barrel manufacturers making .20s than .19s and I believe I read that there are more bullet manufacturers producing .20 caliber bullets than .19 caliber bullets. I haven't done extensive research because I simply am not currently interested in either the .19 or the .20.

I think Todd Kindler is backing a .20 caliber that takes a .17 Remington case and simply necks it up to the .20 caliber bullet. No other modifications are made to the .17 Rem. case. They claim to have fired the new .20 caliber Berger 37 grain bullets in excess of 4,100 fps with that combination.

Here are some of the powders they have used: Hodgdon's 4198 (short grain), Vihtavuori 135, Hodgdon 4895 and Hodgdon's Varge. Here is a link to the 1998 Small Caliber News article about the 20 T-N-T.
http://www.smallcaliber.com/wc-20tnt.html

I hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Silverfox (edited 03-19-2001).]

Just to add a little info

17 cal bullets starke now makes osme but what size I'm not sure. Todd kindler also makes different sizes two in a boat tail a 27 and a twenty nine recomended the 27 gr to me. Also said that with a new facory rem barrel to stay away from the berger bullets they have a relatively thin jacket and the rem barrel tends to be rough and cause deep scores in the jackets recommended hornadays until the barrel smoothed out. With after market barrels this is not a problem. Also said the thirty grain berger jacket is thinner than on the twenty five grain.

Kindler is promoting .20 cal wildcats based on a variety of cases. from the hornet to the 22 br. i think it's the hornet, .221 fireball case, 223, and the br case I could be wrong but these come to mind he is definately promoting on the 22 br case calls it the VarTarg.

I don't imagine there is a big difference in performance between the 19 and the twenty I belive that starke and berger are making twenty cal. bullets will only calhoon is making the .19. I am quite certain the .19 cal way is probably the cheaper way to go. accurraccy could very well depend on the gunsmith doing the work.

------------------
for what it is worth, eh!

Back