Tone Differance on my JS521

Onefoot

I have had my JS long range caller for about three years and used it in cold and hot weather. Desert dust and swamps of Alabama and cold Rocky Mountain snows.

A few weeks ago a friend got his short range JS caller. We went out and using some of my tapes. I showed him how I set up and call.

While the machine was playing and he was shooting. Dummy me only took my hand cannon (Ruger Redhawk 44 mag) so I let him take all that came in (7 showed and 6 did not leave).

Through the various stands I noticed that his sounded different than mine. At the lunch break (1300) at my truck I pulled out mine and with the same tapes played it. My friend (Mike) even noticed a different tone to the call. Mine sounded more base than his.

We were interrupted by a coyote that came in and sat out at 150 yards and watched us. Till Mike took the M1A.and placed a neat hole in its chest.

Now I am not tone deaf but I am no expert either. I have cleaned my JS every other month. I have taken mine apart and cleaned out the dust too. But I have never altered or changed anything inside the JS. I have added a 100 foot speaker cord to the speaker so we switched the speakers. The tone was still different and more base on my JS.

I do not think it hinders the caller or the calls. But it still bugs me.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be going on???

I have about four weeks that I will not be using the caller.

For now I am going after lions with mouth calls. So the JS is just relaxing around the house when I go out.

At times I think the JS is whining like my dog did when I go out. heheheheeee

Any of you great guy's out there know what is might be happening?

Please let this crazy Onefoot know too.

------------------
Vote Freedom First Join the NRA.
Onefoot Formaly Of the Utah Western Desert

Never heard of something like that before. At first I thought it might be the bigger speaker that comes with the long range model, but if you switched speakers with the same result. . . your problem is over my head.

If you feel in reduces the effectiveness of the call I'd certainly put it in the shop and have it checked out...
wink.gif

------------------
http://www.predatormasters.com

Onefoot,
My guess is that the belts are slipping on your old MS-512 which makes it sound kind of like a 78rpm record being played at 45 rpm. Send it in to Johnny Stewart company for a tuneup. The turn-around time used to be real good at Stewart, but since they changed hands I don't know for certain. Maybe you should call them and ask about it first.

Hey, Onefoot, long time no see!

When you say cleaned, do you mean that you have cleaned the heads using either denatured alcahol or a commercial cleaning tape?

If so, my guess would be that the playback head is magnetized. Get ahold of a head de-magnitizing tape and give her a whirl.

JoeF

Yes I just used the regular tape cleaner.

I did not think on the de-magnitizer tape. I will get one and see how it does after doing it.

Thanks you guy's

------------------

Onefoot, I agree with Joef. Tapes loose particals after time and sort of weld themselves to the head. A dry cleaner doesn't cut the mustard. High end sound is usually the first thing to go leaving a bass sound. Old tapes(from Dugway maybe??), are less magnetic and will loose oxide quicker. Look at the head real close.

Bob

Guy's

I think it was magnitized a little.

I de-magnitized the machine and now it sounds more like the other machine.

I have checked my old tapes and gotten rid of the oldest. Dubed new ones from the originals.

Hay thanks

------------------

Impressed on how friendly and helpful all of the people are out here. Joined up for good reason. I know what to watch for in my Stewart ....if i keep it.
huntbehappy

Do you guy's feel that taping or wrapping the cord around the speaker could dampen vibration and hinder the sound?

[This message has been edited by VCinRI (edited 03-06-2001).]

VCinRI

I have wrapped my cord around the base of the speaker. Because I felt that the cord did muffle the calling some.

Now though I have gotten a 100 foot cord from raido shack and soldered the conections up good. I left the cord on the roll from the store. So as I need I unroll the cord. Then when done roll the speaker cord back on the roll.

Cost for the 100 feet of speaker wire was around 13.00.

------------------

Back