Are any bolt action rifles still being made in 243 WSSM?

blinddog

I built an AR last year in that chambering have been thinking to complement it with a light wieght bolt action. I thought Savage and Browning as well as Winchester was offering them. Winchester is out now but it looks like Savage and Browning aren't listing them any more as well not on the web sites any way. Any one else still chambering them? (I think they are all missing a good bet on these shorter than short actions) Any help appreciated /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

check gunbroker.com for a browning. it sounds like most of the problems have been coming from the winchester wssm rifles.

i have a 243wssm browning varmint, and love it! it can hold moa or better all day, every so often i'll do my part and get a .5" group. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif the rifle is far more accurate than i am.

I could not find the 243 WSSM on the Browning site.

Edit: Just checked the 2008 Winchester catalog and none of the WSSMs are listed. The WSMs are listed in the 270, 300, and 325.

Last edited:
Anyone know what the problems were so that every maker dropped this chambering? Like I said i have an AR in 243 wssm it is a MOA rifle the only problem I have is it is just to heavy to be carried in the field much.
JJ PM me

Blinddog go with the Browning .Abolthunter talked me into one and it's found a place in my heart . Wincherster's i dont know alot about them ,,, they kinda scary to me .

I guess i will look for a Browning then. From what I am seeing on the net the onlt reason the makers dropped the WSSM's were low sales. Man a bunch of folks are missing a bet on these. Hope I can still find a bolt gun in this chambering hate to have to build another bolt action.

The reason they are gone is because they are a throat eroding deal. You get more pressure and heat from those rounds and gain very little over standard caliber offerings with less pressure and longer barrel life.

A standard .243 or .243 AI is just a hair slower than the wssm offering and runs at less pressure same with the .25 WSSM very short lived as you where gaining very little over a 25-06 or 25-06 AI and less barrel life with the WSSM.

They have short window on the pressure deal and I don't know if this has been SAMMI marked or not?

For the little added velocity and increased cost of powder and brass I went with a .243 winchester, plenty of speed and energy for what it is designed for and you have much more in the way of brass offerings and something that is time tested and approved with less pressure and longer barrel life.

Last edited:
We've seen a lot of the so called short magnums come and go in the last few years. Remington's saum's didn't fare so well. Like ADC said, the standard time tested 243 Win, will be around when the 243 WSSM is a distant memory. Thats sad.

The ONLY thing keeping the WSSM alive is the AR platform. Me personally think its all hype and has nothing on my standard 243. Had a Browning ABolt 243 wssm . Put 31 rounds thru it and sold it. Couldn't get it to feed proper, like sticking a square peg in a round hole.

A local sporting goods store here was advertising a special on several WSMs and WSSMs I could get you a number if you would like to check.

Blinddog,
There is a Winchester Model 70 Super Shadow with scope on Gunbroker for $350. It looks like a showroom holdover or something. I don't think a guy could go wrong for that price. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=98226839

I have also seen quite a few WSSM's at dealers here and there that are new but a old models that didn't sell. I would check the local dealers for a good price on one they can't sell. I think alot of people are shy of change and don't take chances.

why change if it cost your more money in ammo, decreased barrel life and gives you little benefit? These offerings where just a new look with nothing really new to add to the end result IMHO.

243 and 223 WSSM ammo can be bought for $17 a box through Reed's Ammunition and Research in OK. They have 4 loadings in the .243 WSSM and I have shot most of them with good success.

The barrel on the WSSM's are chrome lined so I think that not the problem that most people think it is. Just my .02, your mileage may vary.

I am pretty happy with my 25 WSSM Coyote for as little as I paid for it. I can't wait until my dies get here to start loading for it.

Not loaded ammo the brass aspects is what I was referring to higher cost and more trouble over a standard load like a .243 or 25-06.My .02

I don't have any "local dealers" next time I get to Wichita I will check the Gander Mt and Sportsmans whorehouse. The nearest Wally world is fifty miles each way and they stopped selling firearms last year the few FFL dealers around are good to recieve somtimes but most are full time farmers and are hard to get ahold of this time of year.
As far as the WSSM's being barrel burners I have heard that about every new centerfire chambering to come along in the last fifty years or so as I recall the 22-250 the 204 and the .17's were or are supposed to all be barrel burners not to mention the 220 swift 222 and 223. one thing they all are is overbore ( That means a little bullet with a large case capacity)in that regard, yes they are, but careful powder selection, with some of the newer powders and bore errosion can be held to a minimum BTW the WSSM has a nominal pressure of 60,000 cup same as many of the other small diameter high velocity chamberings. I think this round was still born due to user apathy and comments like it won't do any thing better than the standard 243 yes except a smaller lighter action and 200 FPS faster on average at any range with any bullet

Isn't that one of the cartridges that is covered by those patents Jamison filed after Winchester introduced the cartridges? If so don't plan on seeing any new rifles in that caliber until after the patents run out. Please note I am not saying that there is anything wrong with the cartridge.

I can agree with BD as too folks claiming barrel burning. The 243WSSM is new in relation to chamberings. To be claiming that it burns barrels at this point in time is absurd. I'm sure that the anywhere USA gunsmith has not re-barreled a 243WSSM due to a burnt barrel unless it was a hardcored PD hunter. It wouldn't be any worse than a straight 22-250rem for life.

Back