Cleaning bedding compound and putty from my action?

scsims

I have glass bedded 2 of my Rem 700s and have had good results.

But I always get a small amount of bedding compound that pushes up through the action screw when I tighten it down. I use plumbers putty in the hole but it pushes the putty out. So I wipe out the putty and bedding compound before it sets but I end up with a little left in the action.

Is there any way to clean it out?

Use fitting screws instead of screwing in the action bolts that come with the gun. These are longer screws that have no heads and are screwed into the action before placing it in the bedding compound. They won't allow the bedding compound to get into the action. Band or clamp the barreled action to the stock instead of tightening it in with the action screws to let the bedding set up.

These are sold by Brownell's as an aid to bedding actions into new stocks.

OK, anyway to remove what I have in the action now?

It does not effect function or accurracy, but I would like to remove it.

Once it's set up it's pretty hard to get out. You can apply heat if it's bonded to the metal with a heat gun. The expanding metal will pop loose from the epoxy. This is how I've removed barreled actions from stocks that folks have glassbedded without a release agent or with not enough release agent and the stock has bonded to the metal.

This may not work if the epoxy is locked into a recess. If that's the case you simply may not be able to get it out. Pretty tough stuff some of the bedding materials on the market today.

Bob's suggestion is a great one for bedding an action without any stress.

I also spray the action, screws, and floor plate with brake cleaner, then give two coats of a spray sold by Brownell's that is a release agent called ACCRA Release.

When using Accra Release, after you take the action out of the stock, all tiny pieces of bedding compound that have got into little tiny spaces are very easily removed.

I wash off the Release agent off the Action with Brake
Cleaner, also.

www.sinclairintl.com sells some tools for cleaning out the lug area on an action. If you smeared the bedding compound in the threads and the lug area in the action without release compound in there, you may have to remove the barrel to get all the bedding compound out. Try inserting the bolt and see if you get any resistance. Small chips of bedding compound may break off after which you should blow the action area out with an air hose or caned air.

Nice thing about the spary Accra Release is that you can spray it in the inside of the action, lug area, inside the barrel and no bedding compound will ever stick in there...I don't even worry if I see a huge glob pushing up through the screw hole, I don't worry if I see bedding compound on the screw or screw threads, because nothing will stick if you degrease the screws first with break cleaner, then give two coats of Accra Release. All of the Accra Release is washed out with a blast of Break Cleaner.

Good luck!

Quote:
I have glass bedded 2 of my Rem 700s and have had good results.

But I always get a small amount of bedding compound that pushes up through the action screw when I tighten it down. I use plumbers putty in the hole but it pushes the putty out. So I wipe out the putty and bedding compound before it sets but I end up with a little left in the action.

Is there any way to clean it out?

A propane torch will soften it, without harming the metal - epoxie will soften at ~400°.

Back