Talon's First Gobbler

guess

Talon my 6 year old son begged to go hunting this evening and though I was pressed for time and it was getting late, I thought it wouldn’t hurt to try. At least he would get some time out for a bit. We spotted 6 jakes right away and were able to get them to gobble but they just wouldn’t come our way. In fact we moved in their direction and called some more, only to have them go the other way. Discouraged we headed towards the ridge where I shot a nice bird last weekend. We set out our decoy and started calling. We probably called for 10 minutes and Talon was getting restless. Just then I heard a gobble, but I couldn’t tell where it came from. I called a few more times and nothing so I quit calling for a few minutes. Then I called again and heard two gobbles way off to the west. After calling a bit more I saw a bird headed our way from a 1/2 mile away. They were covering some ground quickly as Talon wiggled in my lap for position. He was hyperventilating, I think. I talked calmly to him trying to prepare him for the shot. As the birds reached the 30 yards mark they turned parallel to us and weren’t coming any closer. Talon said ‘can I shoot’? I said ‘shoot as soon as you’re ready’. He squirmed a little and squeezed the trigger on his little 20 ga. and that jake dropped dead right there. Talon was so pumped he jumped up and said: ‘can I get him‘? It was a 38 yard shot. I was amazed; it sure didn’t seem that far. We had an awesome time and he called all of our hunting buddies right then. Listening to him tell the story was priceless.

He had a 6 inch beard, 1/2 spurs and weighed 17 1/2 pounds.

saw a smile on Michelle's face for the first time in a month, as Talon told his story .

If you look closely in the first picture you can see our decoy, just to the right is where we were sitting.

normal_talon_poking_turkey_4-14-08.jpg

normal_Talon_first_turkey_4-14-08.jpg

normal_talon_and_me_turkey_4-14-08.jpg

normal_Talon_1st_turkey_std_face_4-14-08.jpg

normal_talon_1st_turkey_std_side_4-14-08.jpg

HOMnominatedbanner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Glenn... I am sitting here reading this with tears in my eyes! That is a great story my friend... I am SO happy for ya'll right now! This day will be with him for the rest of his life! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif Congrats Dad...

Michelle might not be able to get out there, but with the young ones getting her part of the Guess turkey action it will lift her spirits beyond what any doctor could. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Thats what its all about right there!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Way to go guys! Congrats to you on a fine bird Talon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Dave

Congrats to you both /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif Great father and son team /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
Mark

I'm grinning ear to ear-just as much as when you told me about it!! You did give him that high five didn't you? WAY TO GO TALON!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Congratulations to Talon, you, Michelle and the entire Guess family.
A first turkey for your son is great.
If it made your wife smile I would say that is fantastic.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif, That's what being a real Daddy...is all about. Your stories over the past few years have been wonderful to read, however, I believe this one would take an award, for sheer excellence. What a tremendous moment, in a kid's life. Taking their first turkey. Congrats, to you, the proud Daddy and congrats, to precious little Talon and his stepping stone of cherished hunting memories.

Glenn, The man up above is shining his light brightly for you and your family after all you have been through. A person can't help but get chocked up seeing the pictures of Michelle and now Talon. The look on both of there faces as well as yours says all that needs to be said. Best of luck too all of you and hopefully a fast compete recovery for Michelle.
Tony

Back