Cows shot from Highway

WOW! they sure picked a group out of the air to target, eh? I also like this quote "22-gauge shotgun". I'll hafta git me one'o those. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This makes no sense? How do they know the rifle was an SKS? Did the guys leave the guns laying around? A .22 shotgun? I agree with Weasel tehy sure picked a certain group.

People are frickin idiots! Not only the people that shot the livestock but also the person or persons that say it was probably a predator or varmint hunter. Any predator or varmint hunter that wants to continue hunting does not do this type of B.S. I hope they catch the people involved and hang their [beeep]. This type of crap is why it is so hard to get permission for hunting. That just turned alot of heads in the wrong direction. The anti's will be all over this one!

maybe they found 7.62 brass and or stripper clips?Probably done at night so it was probably guys out spotlighting varmits/predators,as no other seasons are open.We just had a case of 20 some antelope poached by two morons spotlighting yotes with ars/mini 14s.

In the case of the cows & Nonya's antelope, they were both an example of idiots just out to kill something.

Nonya, they weren't hunting coyotes....An accident might happen once, maybe twice. They were just out to kill something. No matter what they were using, be it AR's Mini 14's, or a single shot .22....It's just a case of some idiot wanting to know what it's like to kill.

In my opinion, vandalism crimes involving firearms hurt hunters & shooters with more negative impact towards us all, than anything else.

Even in our ranks of hunters we have those willing to classify a weapon, or label the shooters as "Hunters".... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

There is NO such thing as an "Assault rifle", there's not a "Saturday Night Special"...These terms were generated & used my the liberal media to have a negative impact on the public where guns are concerned. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

All people shooting at things at night are not "Hunters" either. Because they do this at night doesn't make "Varmint Hunters" in any case whatsoever. It just means they did their crime at night. Criminals like the cover of darkness.

Barry

Nonya, think about what you typed. Do you think open or closed seasons were of any interest to the type of idiots that would pull a stunt like this?

This was a deliberate act pulled off by idiots who were NOT out hunting or this would have never happened in the first place.

There is no act of property crime more despicable than an act of vandalism.

Id be willing to bet they didnt set out that night to shoot cows,OR antelope,they were after rabbits and yotes and then their stupid surfaced.In the antelope case they had killed some varmits before they found the antelope,ill ty to find the story..
By EVE BYRON - Independent Record - 02/15/08

Eliza Wiley IR Photo Editor - Fish, Wildlife and Parks game warden Dave Loewen shows items seized during the arrest of two suspects in the killing of 10 antelope east of Canyon Ferry Reservoir. Two teenagers out looking for coyotes and small animals to shoot allegedly ended up illegally killing 10 antelope they ran into east of Canyon Ferry Reservoir last week.

On Thursday, Ryon Bullock, 19, and Chase Parker, 18, were arrested at their Helena apartment on one felony offense of unlawful possession, shipping or transporting game animals, and four misdemeanor counts associated with the crime.

Mike Ottman and Dave Loewen, Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks game wardens, are clearly disgusted by the carnage allegedly done by the young men armed with an AR-15 and a Ruger Mini-14.

Ottman, who has been a warden for decades, said he has never seen such a malicious type of free-for-all that involved so many dead animals.

“Those are not hunters; they’re thieves, criminals stealing wildlife from the state of Montana. This is a criminal act,” Ottman said. “They did it outside of the season, during the darkness. It’s atrocious and doesn’t represent the sportspeople of Montana.”

Loewen said he started on the case last Thursday, when he got a call from a fisheries biologist asking if Loewen had heard anything about some freshly killed antelope in district 390, where the hunting season ended in November.

“I drove down to lower Confederate Gulch Road, came around a corner and saw dozens and dozens of ravens and magpies. I immediately knew something here wasn’t right,” Loewen recalled.

What he found were two dead bucks and eight does lying dead in the snow. Blood trails gave evidence of the animals’ struggle to survive after they were shot, some multiple times.

“I’ve seen people shoot one or two out of their truck and leave it by the road, but this was the first time I saw 10 animals lying together like that,” Loewen said. “It looked like someone mowed ’em down.”

With few leads to go on, he turned to the Independent Record, hoping that someone might read about the shooting and help out. That effort proved fruitful, with a person — the wardens don’t want to identify at this point — calling 1-800-TIP-MONT with information that led to a search warrant on Tuesday and the arrest of the young men Thursday.

Loewen said Bullock and Parker, who moved to Helena from Three Forks, cooperated. In statements to the officer, the two said they were driving around Confederate Gulch at night, looking for “varmints” like rabbits and coyote — something legal to shoot in the dark — when they came around a corner and saw the herd of hundreds of antelope.

“The driver, Ryon Bullock, pointed his AR-15 rifle out the window and shot into the herd several times, hitting several antelope,” Loewen said. “Chase Parker, the passenger, exited the vehicle, and using the Mini-14 with a high-capacity magazine, fired several rounds into the herd.

“After they were done shooting, the herd ran off and the antelope were either on the ground or walking around bleeding. Then they walked up to the individual antelope and shot each one in the head. Then they went back to the vehicle and drove off.”

The two were taken into custody in lieu of a $25,000 bond, and are slated to appear in District Court in Broadwater County this morning.

Along with the felony count, the two men are charged with hunting during a closed season, waste of game, and hunting with the use of artificial light. Parker also is charged with shooting from the roadway, and Bullock is charged with hunting from a vehicle.

"Id be willing to bet they didnt set out that night to shoot cows,OR antelope,they were after rabbits and yotes and then their stupid surfaced"

What is that statement based on? It looks just like the one in the article to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif surely it isn't based on the story from the crooks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Not only does the writer have the firearms info skewed, but what the heck is a Bramer cow??? Is that like a Brahma? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

rockinbbar nailed it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif vandals out doing what vandals do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I like how people(news) are so quick to lable a group/person to associate them to some one like me or other menber on this forum. If one does it they must all be the same. I do night hunt and have never shot a cow, or any other game not ment to be taken. I do it responsibly and respectfully. Jerks like that is going to keep getting all of us introuble with the public and the news is all to fast to report CRAP all to fast before they think of doing any real research first!

Newsperson not only showed their ignorance in the type of gun reported, but didn't even worry about spelling Brahma correctly--Bramers??

Idiots shooting and idiots reporting.....

Tim

You can just about bet your next pay check that it was done by some of the people working in the methane gas fields. I saw the same thing during the oilfield days years ago. These people are outsiders to Wyoming and have little or no respect for the locals. I'd doubt that it was varmint hunters using an SKS, I've never met a real varmint hunter packing an SKS.

Just hope the D.A. keeps the felony charge and doesn't let it get plea bargained down to a slap on the wrist. Set out to do it from the begining or not, it wasn't an accident.

I'm sure the 22 ga thing wa a type o, it obviously it should have been a 12ga. the part of the article that gets me is that they weren't out to kill cows, it was a mistake. Killing one is a mistake, killing a half dozen in a small area is no mistake.

Quote:
Not only does the writer have the firearms info skewed, but what the heck is a Bramer cow??? Is that like a Brahma?

Yes thats what it is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Yes this was a vandalism. In WY you are not allowed to hunt at night with the aid of light unless you are on private property and allowed to be there. This was not a group of guys out night hunting. They were out to break the law and they did. AS far as the oiland gas comment. Sadly, I have to agree. All in all this was a major violation of the law. The people who shot the animals are criminals and should be dealt with accordingly. It was a prime example of poor journalism. Think I will use it in my class today.

Nonya, There is no spotlight season allowed in WY unless it was on private land. You can not use light in WY at all on public land. So if they were out spotlighting, odds are they were already violating the law.

Back